Thread: Question about buying-shipping to an FFL

Question about buying-shipping to an FFL

Hello all, I have some general questions about buying guns, from either online distributors (say like Able Ammo), or buying guns from online auction sites like gunbroker.com, etc.

I can understand that in almost all instances, shipping charges will of course apply, as well as the required transfer fees, and be the responsibility of the buyer themselves, that an FFL dealer isn't going to eat those costs, but what about state-local taxes?
    Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Hello all, I have some general questions about buying guns, from either online distributors (say like Able Ammo), or buying guns from online auction sites like gunbroker.com, etc.

I can understand that in almost all instances, shipping charges will of course apply, as well as the required transfer fees, and be the responsibility of the buyer themselves, that an FFL dealer isn't going to eat those costs, but what about state-local taxes?
    Thanks, Mark
    Typically if you make a purchase online, say through Gunbroker, you don't pay the sales tax. Unless you are a resident of the state where the store is located. I have bought numerous guns on Gunbroker and have not paid state sales tax. Now I have heard that you are supposed to report online purchases on your taxes and then they take the tax out of your return. Don't know if this is true or not.

Edit: I live in VA, don't know if the rules vary from state to state.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-25-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I pay no sales tax on Buds guns, but do on Gallery of Guns purchases. The diff is Buds is the seller (in KY) vice my local gunshop is the seller on GoG. Buds collects no taxes, but my local guy operates purely as a retail seller in CO. Internet resident state sales tax has been discussed for years. Some states enforce it; most don't.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V