• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife's readiness state worries me

Pyro01

I agree with the bigger dog suggestion if you are not able to convince her to be more proactive with assessed self defense. Maybe she would be more open to pepper spray?

That looks like a great site!

Well, we don't have the room right now for a bigger dog, but I do want to get a lab someday for duck hunting. Also, when I first suggested a Taser to her, she told me, "I don't think I would need it, I got mace...", to which I replied, "On you?" After that she realized that having a taser wouldn't be that bad of an idea, if anything it'd give her enough time to get out of the house to call for help. Everytime she's rode her bike home from work later at night or a class, she would have her mace with her, but in her backpack. I keep asking her if she thinks she'd be able to pull it out of her backpack if someone just ran up and pushed her off the bike. She's 100% for mace, I just need her to keep it on her person and not in some bag, she does not have a purse and she doesn't use one. She does use a messenger bag though which is even harder than a purse to open quickly.

Last edited:

Vandil

Well, we don't have the room right now for a bigger dog, but I do want to get a lab someday for duck hunting.

Wouldn't even be in my top 10 list. Lab's are a crap shoot today there is a good chance you'll end up with a half retarded one. Even if it's a good dog a lab doesn't have the instincts of a GSD or Doberman when it comes to protecting the family unit and home.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Wouldn't even be in my top 10 list. Lab's are a crap shoot today there is a good chance you'll end up with a half retarded one. Even if it's a good dog a lab doesn't have the instincts of a GSD or Doberman when it comes to protecting the family unit and home.

My 105 pound Black lab & Labs in General might not be Attack Deadly Gaurd dogs, But my very Muscular stout Lab has a BOOMING BARK light a Rottweiler plus this low growl that is right out of a scary movie & my Lab would turn offensive if an unknown came into the house... my Moms little WEINER DOG IS worse HE WOULD ATTACK & TEAR OFF YOUR ANKLES...THOSE 2 AS A TEAM..i PITTY THE SCUM BAG THAT BREAKS INTO MY HOUSE....BECAUSE FIRST YOU GET THE DOGS...then ya get me :) YOU MIGHT SURVIVE THE DOGS..but IF YOU HURT THEM....then I hurt the Scum Bag worse... :(

Plus I like the fact that my Home insurance won't go through the roof, if you have a GSH, rot, Doby or Pitbull your insurance goes way up.....

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Too bad your wife doesn't want to carry. Sounds like a personal problem for her. Maybe she is okay with being a rape victim or something?

The last place I lived, I had the little door alarms that act as a door wedge. I forgot my landlord was coming over and I was sleeping when she came into my house at night. The alarm went off, and I jumped up and ran down stairs with my GLOCK. Fortunately for them the wedge did it's job and they didn't come in (she knew I was a 2A enthusiast ). I opened the door and they were just sitting there. "I almost blew you guys's heads off...." lol

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Too bad your wife doesn't want to carry. Sounds like a personal problem for her. Maybe she is okay with being a rape victim or something?

Hey let's remember that we're talking about another forum member's wife and keep it respectful. How would you feel if someone said that about your wife?

I think carrying is a personal choice. If you're not comfortable you shouldn't do it. Pyro, at least get her some pepper spray or some other means of self-defense. Take some time to show her how it works.

MKEgal

Zeus said:
My best advice would be to arrange for her to meet a female firearms instructor who carries and she can relate to better.
Here is a very good informative site for women about firearms and why they should carry: http://www.corneredcat.com Hope this helps.
+100 to Cornered Cat!!!
When I first decided to carry, I spent days reading everything on her site. (Among lots of other stuff about the moral, ethical, & legal implications of armed self-defense.)

Kathy is very knowledgable, & can make something serious (self-defense) or touchy (how do you use the bathroom while carrying?) funny.

And her treatment of subjects that are funny in themselves is hilarious. (Yes, getting hot brass down your shirt is funny, after you get the brass away from your skin. And for onlookers it's funny to begin with.)

And much as I don't understand it, +1 to finding a woman instructor.
All the instructors I know (all male) tell me women & men learn differently, & women often prefer to learn from women. :shrug:
You said you know someone, & surely in LaCrosse or St. Paul/Minneapolis there have to be more.

Pyro01 said:
On the bright side, she has agreed to possibly take some training with me, my parents live in New Berlin too and so maybe I can set up an appointment with MKEgal sometime. She told me she'd be willing to use a taser to defend herself, that's a start isn't it?
As soon as my puppy papers arrive, I have several people who have told me either they want a class or they'd send female relatives to me. Be happy to work with your wife (&/or you, but the Basic Pistol course is really really basic).

As for a tazer, problems include:
1) have to be in arm's reach to use it
2) isn't always effective
3) clothing impedes effectiveness
Now I'll admit that a pistol isn't always effective either, but if you hit someone most of the time it'll at least slow them down, no matter what they're wearing. (Yes, even a vest.)

And to carry a tazer outside the home or her business, she'd need a cc permit... which takes training, so she may as well take a firearm class to begin with, then have the choice of what & how to carry.

(One more absurdity of the new law... in order to carry a tazer, someone could take hunter safety, which deals not a bit with self-defense, or tazers, & AFAIK not a word is spoken about pistols, even though some people hunt with pistols.)

Last edited:

cleveland

Keep in mind with a dog you are not getting a protector, your getting an alarm system. The dog barks, she grabs her mace/tazer/gun and then goes to inspect the problem.

Every reply I was going to post included name calling and condoning physical violence. You are a sad, sad little man.

Last edited:

MKEgal

cleveland said:
Keep in mind with a dog you are not getting a protector, your getting an alarm system.
Have you seen the video of 2 armed robbers being chased out of a store by a chihuahua?
LOL!!!
Don't discount little dogs for protection; they've got big heart, some of them.
I used to deliver flowers in OH, met lots of dogs, & the only one that ever tried to hurt me was a mini doberman.
Put a hole in the leg of my shorts, too, even though he had to jump way up to do it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While you and the wife are waiting to put all the other plans into action, get some inexpensive door & window alarms like this http://firstratesecurity.com/slideawayalarm.html . There are door alarms with a delay setting so you can come and go without setting them off. Roughly $20 ought to cover your doors and windows if you buy the bulk pack in one of te box/discount stores. Nothing fancy, but you need the time they buy.

stay safe.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Hey let's remember that we're talking about another forum member's wife and keep it respectful. How would you feel if someone said that about your wife?

I think carrying is a personal choice. If you're not comfortable you shouldn't do it. Pyro, at least get her some pepper spray or some other means of self-defense. Take some time to show her how it works.

I guess that sounded kind of wrong, I didn't intend to slam his wife verbally. I just think people who live in a nation where for the most part is is lawful for them to exercise means of self defense yet they choose not to are well... a. stupid or b. they are okay with whatever they got coming ie. rape assault battery murder. A gun doesn't make you invulnerable to these things, but it is probably the best/most practical thing you can do to prevent violence to your person. To just throw away the opportunity to protect yourself is just silly. Everyone should know we don't live in a perfect world. Everyday I expect someone to pull something stupid. It is expected of people around me, someone will get road rage, someone will go postal, it happens. This is our world we live in. I carry whatever I legally can depending where I am so I can attempt to counter act the violence that is bound to happen.

Every reply I was going to post included name calling and condoning physical violence. You are a sad, sad little man.

k296428_You_got_mad.jpg

Last edited:

cleveland

Have you seen the video of 2 armed robbers being chased out of a store by a chihuahua?
LOL!!!
Don't discount little dogs for protection; they've got big heart, some of them.
I used to deliver flowers in OH, met lots of dogs, & the only one that ever tried to hurt me was a mini doberman.
Put a hole in the leg of my shorts, too, even though he had to jump way up to do it.

My sister has a full sized doberman and a "Paris Pincher" and I am only afraid of one of them. That little dog is downright mean!

Archangel

My burglar alarm is 110 pounds of murderous intent (if you enter our house uninvited):

You won't mistake when that is going off...

Don't think an intruder would want to hang around either.

If he does, my wife (who used to have the same attitude about guns, till we had kids) will most assuredly shoot whatever is left of him.

Last edited:

Pyro01

+100 to Cornered Cat!!!
When I first decided to carry, I spent days reading everything on her site. (Among lots of other stuff about the moral, ethical, & legal implications of armed self-defense.)

Kathy is very knowledgable, & can make something serious (self-defense) or touchy (how do you use the bathroom while carrying?) funny.

And her treatment of subjects that are funny in themselves is hilarious. (Yes, getting hot brass down your shirt is funny, after you get the brass away from your skin. And for onlookers it's funny to begin with.)

And much as I don't understand it, +1 to finding a woman instructor.
All the instructors I know (all male) tell me women & men learn differently, & women often prefer to learn from women. :shrug:
You said you know someone, & surely in LaCrosse or St. Paul/Minneapolis there have to be more.

As soon as my puppy papers arrive, I have several people who have told me either they want a class or they'd send female relatives to me. Be happy to work with your wife (&/or you, but the Basic Pistol course is really really basic).

As for a tazer, problems include:
1) have to be in arm's reach to use it
2) isn't always effective
3) clothing impedes effectiveness
Now I'll admit that a pistol isn't always effective either, but if you hit someone most of the time it'll at least slow them down, no matter what they're wearing. (Yes, even a vest.)

And to carry a tazer outside the home or her business, she'd need a cc permit... which takes training, so she may as well take a firearm class to begin with, then have the choice of what & how to carry.

(One more absurdity of the new law... in order to carry a tazer, someone could take hunter safety, which deals not a bit with self-defense, or tazers, & AFAIK not a word is spoken about pistols, even though some people hunt with pistols.)

Good to hear your opinion MKEgal, but I don't think you're familiar that a taser is a ranged weapon and a stungun is what you're talking about(confusing names I know). As for the training, she has her MN hunter's education which would qualify her for the permit. I just wanted her to get some actual training so that she'd be a little less afraid of handguns in general and to be able to ask how you go about your everyday life armed would offer her some reassurance that carrying a weapon isn't evil when you're protecting your own life and the ones you love. And yes, I have seen the video of the Chihuahua chasing the two robbers out, pretty damn funny. She does own a .22 that her dad holds on to and a .38 revolver as well i think. Next time I'm at her parents place i should ask to bring them back so she can practice with the .38, and I wouldn't mind having some fun with the .22 to improve my own skills.

As for everyone else, she has pepper spray, but it isn't always within reach, sometimes she has it on her belt when she knows she's going to be traveling at night, but the rest of the time she keeps it in a backpack. Has anyone heard of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers being a good combination of home defense and duck hunting dog? If that's true, I might have to consider them over a Lab(I've met some pretty derpy labs, but they have hearts of gold :D ) As for those slideaway alarms, I can get em at the dollar store, and we actually have one on our laundry room door. They're a little difficult to mount sometimes though. Thanks for all the amazing input everyone, keep it coming!

MKEgal

Mea culpa... :lol: You caught me.

Yes, I know there's a difference between a brand name product & a generic name for the group including that product,
and I have just repeatedly used the specific to refer to the generic,
and believe it or not I even know the range of the average shoots-electrodes type electric weapon.
(21-25', though there are some that shoot up to 45' according to my friend who happens to be a cop.)

With a shoots-electrodes electric weapon AFAIK you get one shot (a handheld/contact one doesn't have that problem),
and there's still the problem of clothing,
and you might want to explain the Tueller (sp?) drill to your wife.
(Basically, if the electric shock doesn't stop him, he's going to get to her before she can draw & point the pistol, if she has it for backup.)

If she's OK with an electric weapon, but won't consider a pistol, start there.
Cops have both available b/c electrics don't (always) stop people, AND cops have backup, both in the form of a pistol & other officers.
(And +1 on the door/window alarms.)

ETA:
to be able to ask how you go about your everyday life armed
Probably pretty much the way you do, other than bathroom breaks.
But I'll be happy to talk with her, or email, or do some shopping together.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
or if your wife thinks she is bullet proof & only needs pepper spray ..try the scared straight tactic...drop here off in the bad area of Milwaukee at night...I bet she will be begging for a gun after she walks a few miles in an area that turns nice white girls into Prostitutes or raped corpses...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
or if your wife thinks she is bullet proof & only needs pepper spray ..try the scared straight tactic...drop here off in the bad area of Milwaukee at night...I bet she will be begging for a gun after she walks a few miles in an area that turns nice white girls into Prostitutes or raped corpses...

Again, I say this is a forum member's wife that we are talking about so let's keep it respectful. How would you feel if someone said this about your wife? Even in jest, it's not funny.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Again, I say this is a forum member's wife that we are talking about so let's keep it respectful. How would you feel if someone said this about your wife? Even in jest, it's not funny.

YO !!!! SD i Was never attempting to be funny !! jUST BRUTALLY HONEST .... The OP has informed the WORLD that his wife is not a street smart individual by thinking pepper spray is gonna save her butt while it's tucked away safe & sound in some back pack....she clearly is not wise in the ways of this SHITTTY scum bag infested world we live in & thinks she will never be the target of a BAD GUY that might have a gun, nor will she use a firearm to defend herself... She allowed a person to come into her home & surprise her with out her knowledge. I was being respectful of another forum members wife..so why don't you take your Forum police OPINONS & stick em somewhere like back in your home states forum...let me know when you become a Moderator until then....butt out.

Last edited: