• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WOW talk about a blatant attack on Open Carry by Connecticut

merit4242

wow news to me!!

WOW news to me when I took the pistol course early this year I was told I could not open carry in Connecticut now i see that the information i was given is incorrect stunned!!!!! and to think i was trying to figure out the easiest way to conceal in the summer without dying from heat stroke

Shawn Mitola

WOW news to me when I took the pistol course early this year I was told I could not open carry in Connecticut now i see that the information i was given is incorrect stunned!!!!! and to think i was trying to figure out the easiest way to conceal in the summer without dying from heat stroke

Who told you this? was it your instructor? people like this are spreading misinformation and confusing an issue that is fairly straight forward.

Ctclassic

Shawn, unfortunately there are many 'instructors' still informing their students that CT is a conceal-only state. Just look at http://outpostgunsandammo.com/content/pistol_permit_classes_outpost_guns_ammo.asp and you can planely see that there alot of work to do regarding the 'misinformation' given by the 'instructors' out there giving the classes. I have already emailed Outpost Guns to ask them to change the wording on their website but they said...NO. Guess who doesn't shop there??

Rich B

Shawn, unfortunately there are many 'instructors' still informing their students that CT is a conceal-only state. Just look at http://outpostgunsandammo.com/content/pistol_permit_classes_outpost_guns_ammo.asp and you can planely see that there alot of work to do regarding the 'misinformation' given by the 'instructors' out there giving the classes. I have already emailed Outpost Guns to ask them to change the wording on their website but they said...NO. Guess who doesn't shop there??

I sent the following email to this company through their website:

In reference to your 'permit classes' page:

There is no such thing as a 'concealed carry permit' in the State of Connecticut. I understand this has been mentioned to your company and that you have refused to update your erroneous information.

I just thought I would let you know, because of your choice to knowingly publish erroneous information, I will not do business with you in the future.

We have enough problems in this state with people who are misinformed on the laws. I will not support a business that knowingly spreads false information. This stream of misinformation has resulted in the rights violations of myself and fellow gun owners/carriers in this state. I would hope that your company would be supportive of the fight for our rights in this state by refusing to knowingly give false information.

If you ever consider fixing this issue, I would be happy to help you understand the relevant statutes in whatever way you need. If you fix the issue, I would be happy to reconsider my shopping preferences.

Thank you,
Rich Burgess
Ph: 203.208.9557

I encourage everyone here to do the same. You can use any part of my email that want (change my name of course!) if it helps.

http://outpostgunsandammo.com/content/contact_us_outpost_guns_ammo_ct.asp

The people in CT that support rights need to illustrate to the businesses in this state that they are either 'with us' or they are 'against us'. Businesses that are not ready to stand by our rights and are willing to knowingly spread false information should experience the financial ramifications of those decisions.

"A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth." - Tom Gresham

Last edited:

Ctclassic

Rich, thank you for sending that letter to Outpost, we are all very lucky to have you on our side. I echo Rich's comment about everyone taking a couple minutes and send them a quick email to let them know we all stand united on this subject. Just a side note, you might ask them in your email why ( as of about a month ago) they have a slew of phamplets on their rack from CCDL (is that legal?)....just a thought. Thanks again, Rich.

While your at it, here's another clueless wonder........http://www.valleyfirearms.com/nra.html

Last edited:

beanoboy7

Who's the instructor? Any contact info? He/she needs to be educated

Shawn Mitola

Rich, thank you for sending that letter to Outpost, we are all very lucky to have you on our side. I echo Rich's comment about everyone taking a couple minutes and send them a quick email to let them know we all stand united on this subject. Just a side note, you might ask them in your email why ( as of about a month ago) they have a slew of pamphlets on their rack from CCDL (is that legal?)....just a thought. Thanks again, Rich.

While your at it, here's another clueless wonder........http://www.valleyfirearms.com/nra.html

I've done business with this place before because they are about 2 miles from my house and the guy that runs it is fairly arrogant. I'm gonna shoot both of these an email and If I can remember I'll drop in at Valley and drop off some literature. I just don't get where people get this crap from.

Ctclassic

Like I said before folks, we ALL have alot of work to do. I found yet another 'instructor' that insists CT is a conceal state. I emailed him last night to get for a little clarity in the wording on his website (it was alittle scetchy), and this is his response... "If you carry a gun that’s not concealed you will lose your gun permit, and end up in front of a judge.

Ct has only 1 gun permit it is concealed only".

mike

Michael J. Capozziello
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
michael60@gmail.com[/email
[url]www.ctgunpermit.com[/url]

I haven't yet followed up with a reply to him, but you know I will.

Last edited:

Ctclassic

Shawn, hold up a second. The Outpost Guns and Ammo store that i'm referring to is in Montville. Just dont want you to write to the wrong place. I put a link in a previous post to the store.

Rich B

I talked to someone today that just went through a class of a bunch of people and the instructor properly informed them of the fact that we may open carry or conceal carry.

So the message *is* getting out there...

KIX

I've been engaging in one on one conversations with LEO's young and old here in central CT.

Mixed bag, but seems more are indeed getting the word. I think there is a disconnect though. Sometimes a younger partner will know it's legal, but an older FTO or partner will say it isn't.

More to go, but it's getting there.

Jonathan

Shawn Mitola

Shawn, hold up a second. The Outpost Guns and Ammo store that i'm referring to is in Montville. Just dont want you to write to the wrong place. I put a link in a previous post to the store.

Oh I know I was talking about Valley Firearms. They are the ones I've done business with and are the place that's close to my house. I'm gonna send emails to both places though just worded differently.

Here is the email I sent Valleyfirearms

Good Afternoon Rick,

In reference to your Pistol Safety class,

In the State of Connecticut there is no such thing as a concealed carry Permit. The permit in CT is a “Permit to carry handguns and revolvers” There is in fact no CT statute that requires the permit holder to conceal carry and many CT permit holders, myself included openly carry every day without issue.

I write to you because I’m concerned about misinformation being put out by your instructor as well as other instructors around the state. I would be happy to point out the relevant CT statutes. You can also head over to www.Opencarry.org or www.CCDL.us which is the CT Citizens Defense League. There have been several cases around the state where it has been proven that open carry is perfectly legal in CT and I would hope your instructor would correctly instruct your students on actual CT law and not personal opinion. As I am a Shelton resident I would be happy to drop off some literature to you that you could keep and or display in your shop to help us educate people on the actual CT laws regarding the carrying of a firearm.

Thank you for your time.

Shawn Mitola

and this to outpostguns

In reference to your pistol permit class,

I understand that you have been contacted about the legality of openly carrying a firearm in CT, but you still are teaching your students that CT is a concealed carry state only.

As I'm sure it has been said before there is no such thing in CT as a concealed carry permit. You need only look at your permit to know that. Further investigation would prove to you that open carry is perfectly legal and by telling people otherwise you are spreading lies and misinformation.

Until this policy is changed I will not be doing business with your store. The government tries to trample our rights every day, and we do not need other individuals helping them. Ct is an open carry legal state as are 42 other states.

Please feel free to contact me regarding this issue and I will be happy to point out the correct statutes as well as case law and documentation to prove to you that I am correct.

Thank you,
Shawn Mitola

Last edited:

Rich B

Sent:
http://www.valleyfirearms.com/nra.html

This course is required in Connecticut and many other states as a prerequisite to purchasing a handgun, or applying for a concealed carry permit.

There is no such thing as a 'concealed carry permit' in the State of Connecticut. I understand this has been mentioned to your company and that you have refused to update your erroneous information.

I just thought I would let you know, because of your choice to knowingly publish erroneous information, I will not do business with you in the future.

We have enough problems in this state with people who are misinformed on the laws. I will not support a business that knowingly spreads false information. This stream of misinformation has resulted in the rights violations of myself and fellow gun owners/carriers in this state. I would hope that your company would be supportive of the fight for our rights in this state by refusing to knowingly give false information.

If you ever consider fixing this issue, I would be happy to help you understand the relevant statutes in whatever way you need. If you fix the issue, I would be happy to reconsider my shopping preferences.

Thank you,
Rich Burgess

Rich B

Like I said before folks, we ALL have alot of work to do. I found yet another 'instructor' that insists CT is a conceal state. I emailed him last night to get for a little clarity in the wording on his website (it was alittle scetchy), and this is his response... "If you carry a gun that’s not concealed you will lose your gun permit, and end up in front of a judge.

Ct has only 1 gun permit it is concealed only".

mike

Michael J. Capozziello
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
michael60@gmail.com[/email
[url]www.ctgunpermit.com[/url]

I haven't yet followed up with a reply to him, but you know I will.[/QUOTE]

Sent:
[quote]
[url]http://ctgunpermit.com/index.php[/url]

I see advertised on your site 'concealed carry' permits in Connecticut. There is no such thing. The State of Connecticut only issues one permit and it allows a person to carry openly or concealed.

I understand this has been mentioned to your company and that you have refused to update your erroneous information.

I just thought I would let you know, because of your choice to knowingly publish erroneous information; I will not do business with you in the future, and I will not refer people to your classes when they ask about getting a pistol permit.

If you ever consider fixing this issue, I would be happy to help you understand the relevant statutes in whatever way you need. If you fix the issue, I would be happy to reconsider my shopping/referral preferences.

Thank you,
Rich Burgess
[/quote]

Ctclassic

Rich, your the best. Just got done sending him one myself. I will wait for a reply before I decide how I'll follow up, or if I follow up.

Shawn Mitola

Sent-

www.ctgunpermit.com

in reference to your pistol permit class,

i understand that you have been contacted about the legality of openly carrying a firearm in ct, but you still are teaching your students that ct is a concealed carry state only.

As i'm sure it has been said before there is no such thing in ct as a concealed carry permit. You need only look at your permit to know that. Further investigation would prove to you that open carry is perfectly legal and by telling people otherwise you are spreading lies and misinformation.

Until this policy is changed i will not be doing business with your store. The government tries to trample our rights every day, and we do not need other individuals helping them. Ct is an open carry legal state as are 42 other states.

Please feel free to contact me regarding this issue and i will be happy to point out the correct statutes as well as case law and documentation to prove to you that i am correct.

Thank you,
shawn mitola