• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rifle ranges in south florida

mavidal

Let me post this here and see if any of you know of any other places besides Trail Glades Range or Bass Pro Shops

My doctor buddy and I both got some nice AK underfolders and want to shoot them. He does not like the above mentioned range since they have "too many silly rules". I have heard of a range in homestead, that is a private tactical range, but you need to get a hold of the individual that owns the property to make an appointment, and the gun club I spoke with in homestead did not have that info.

Do any of you know of any other indoor or outdoor ranges that would let us shoot our AK's that do not require membership?

How is the range and Markham Park? Are they similar with crazy rules like Trail Glades?

Thanks

Mike V.

Last edited:

BountyXP

Contact Julio Cortes at Miami Firearms Training. They conduct tactical pistol and rifle courses at the Homestead private range. If anyone knew how to get in contact with someone there it would be him...

Ironside

Let me post this here and see if any of you know of any other places besides Trail Glades Range or Bass Pro Shops

My doctor buddy and I both got some nice AK underfolders and want to shoot them. He does not like the above mentioned range since they have "too many silly rules". I have heard of a range in homestead, that is a private tactical range, but you need to get a hold of the individual that owns the property to make an appointment, and the gun club I spoke with in homestead did not have that info.

Do any of you know of any other indoor or outdoor ranges that would let us shoot our AK's that do not require membership?

How is the range and Markham Park? Are they similar with crazy rules like Trail Glades?

Thanks

Mike V.
'
If you think ranges "have too many silly rules" then there is no way I would recommend a range, invite you to mine or even want to be be anywhere near where you are with a firearm and live ammunition.

mavidal

'
If you think ranges "have too many silly rules" then there is no way I would recommend a range, invite you to mine or even want to be be anywhere near where you are with a firearm and live ammunition.

Ironsides:

I have shot at trail glades and don't really have an issue (it is my Doctor friend that said the "silly rules"), but I don't shoot there often as I don't have the FREEDOM to practice what I want, ie, two quick shots to see if I can stay on target. Their rules are no more than one shot every 5 seconds. You cannot use a human profile target, only a standard bulls eye target. I think those are silly. The nice gentleman that I spoke with at South Florida Shooters and Reloaders told me on the phone about the place in homestead, though he did not have the gentleman's phone number that owns the property, he suggested I go out there and try to catch him. That is something that is not feasible as it is over 40 miles from my house to get there one way, and I have to conserve my gas for business use. He also mentioned that he did not like Trail Glades because of their "silly rules". I defended them (Trail Glades) in that you have a lot of "yahoos" down here that really don't know how to handle a gun shoot there, and they do it ("the silly rules") for safety and liability reasons (it is a county facility). He told me that they banned him from shooting his 50BMG because of a fear of the bullet flying back into the shooting line. Excuse me, you are shooting in a sand berm. I agreed with him that it was stupid. BTW, what difference does it make if it is a 50BMG, 30-06, 30-30, 233, 762X54 etc, they all have that risk.

I was invited by a good friend and customer that runs an armed security company to go to the Thursday night shoots at the private area of Trail Glades range with Tactical Firearms Academy. He was shocked at how well I did the first time doing their course. They explained their rules to me up front before I was even allowed to approach the firing line and course. No issues. I even sat there and observed a few folks to get a feel of what they were doing. They invited me back any time I want, and alas, I would like to go, but business is slow and I don't have the discretionary funds to this often, though I would like to. Damn good practice!

If I want to do my practice shooting I go to Florida Gun Center and have never ever had an issue there. Heck, they even sell you human profile targets to practice with. I have done the "double tap" practice there, but their range cannot handle high powered rifles as the backstop cannot support it.

My wife is a retired bounty hunter and she was surprised at how well I can shoot and how safe I am when I first went shooting with her. She was the one that egged me on to get my CCW.

I'm sorry that you took the comment out of context, but I am not an irresponsible shooter by no means. I have too much respect for weapons and the damage they can do, but if I want to shoot of two or more rounds in quick succession, I should be able to. I even had an old 22Mag over 20 Gauge Savage go kaboom in my face firing the 22mag for the third time.

As to BountyXP's tip, thank you I will call him.

Mike V.

Last edited:

mach1chris

I have the phone number in my office. I will be there tommorrow and while im there I will get you the number. Its really not all that great but the owners are really nice people and don't care what you do as long as you don't kill anyone. I went sunday and I had a great time. BTW do yourself a favor and make sure you take some mosquito spray, because if you don't you will be needing a blood transfusion by the end of one hundred rounds.

mavidal

I have the phone number in my office. I will be there tommorrow and while im there I will get you the number. Its really not all that great but the owners are really nice people and don't care what you do as long as you don't kill anyone. I went sunday and I had a great time. BTW do yourself a favor and make sure you take some mosquito spray, because if you don't you will be needing a blood transfusion by the end of one hundred rounds.

Thanks Chris, will be waiting for the phone number. Not expecting an heck of a layout or anything, just want to get familiar with the new toy and see how it handles.

Mike V

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
The place is called Henry's, and you will need a couple of things to get there: a high truck and a good sense of timing. The road is unpaved and if you get there after ten you won't be able to shoot, since it will be too full. There was a time when it wasn't legit, and they even had some DERM issues, which have been cleared up.

It has always been full of cops (the kind who like to shoot), so it's safe and it's a good time. Enjoy that rifle.

mavidal

update, found henry's in homestead

Hi All:

Just wanted to drop you a note that I finally got to go Henrys Range in Homestead with my Doctor friend to shoot our AK's. Henry's is located at:

31810 S W 228 Avenue
Homestead FL 33034
1(305) 394-2151 Henry LaDue

It is actually at the end of 320th St but there are like no signs out there much less paved roads past 220th Ave or something. Anyhow, very nice place, small in comparison to Trail Glades. Eric was there as the range master, gave us a quick explanation of their rules (typical safety type stuff, like don't go to the line or from the line with a loaded weapon, don't wave a loaded weapon around etc). They have several stainless steel tables (look like they came from a kitchen) to rest your equipment on, a covered table area at the line and an open area at the line. All targets are set at 25yds give or take. The left side of the range has is pistol only with steel targets, they provide target stands and a stapler if needed, you bring your own targets.

There were about 10 people there shooting, all of them a real nice bunch. One individual had his 15 year old son with him to do some practice. I overheard the kid complain he wanted something else to shoot, so I let him burn off a magazine with my AK. He got a kick out of it as did I.

Had blast shooting, got my rifle basically sighted in (not perfect yet), but I was having a hard time holding it still. Guess I am out of practice with it, or just could not keep it steady. Got to practice double taps, rapid fire, off shoulder fire with it. The AK is really nice to shoot, hardly any recoil. My only complaint is the fore stock gets very hot to the point you can't hold the rifle. Have to use a glove next time.

All in all, had a good afternoon with the Doc, and I would recommend this place to anyone that wants to go shooting. Next time, the wife is coming with me along with all the other pistols we have to do some additional practice, and get her to learn to shoot the AK for her own good.

Things to bring if you go to Henrys:

1. Cost is $15/person, children under 16 are $5.
2. A cooler with water.
3. Some folding chairs, they do have a few on the line, but it would be convenient to have your own.
4. Henrys requires safety glasses and ear protection to shoot.
5. Mosquito repellent (though we did not need it the day we went.)
They are open 7 days a week, 9 to 6PM

Anyone here in Miami that would like to go with me, drop me a note as I plan on going out again in a couple of weeks. Need to check my target ammo stash for the pistols.

Thanks to all that helped me earlier.

Mike V.

jrflesch

Okeechobee Shooting Sports

If you want to go to a place that give you the most shooting freedom but still in a safe environment then you should check out okeechobee shooting sports. Its a bit of a drive from miami but the place is like none other I've been in south florida. Range fees and prices on ammo and hear are very reasonable. They also have 500 yd shoots which there are not a lot of around here. Probably the best shooting range in South FLorida!

www.okshooting.com

mavidal

If you want to go to a place that give you the most shooting freedom but still in a safe environment then you should check out okeechobee shooting sports. Its a bit of a drive from miami but the place is like none other I've been in south florida. Range fees and prices on ammo and hear are very reasonable. They also have 500 yd shoots which there are not a lot of around here. Probably the best shooting range in South FLorida!

www.okshooting.com

JR, thanks for the info. Maybe do this as a weekend day trip.

Mike V.

RoughNeckBullies

Fun in the sun

Hey all

Yes there is a new range in the process of being built in homestead fl
But be ready to pay a hefty membership fee
From what I hear it's going to be a 500 yard range
So I'm really happy about that. The closest other one with
A nice distance is WpB police depts gunny range max 300 yards

Btw Mike V. Trail glades has 4 parts to it
Skeet
Pistol 1. Shot every 5 seconds
Rifle. 1 shot every 5 seconds ( does not
And tactical - real live fire. The guys are great
Cops. Ex military NRA instructors etc
That's where I take my AR
Tac range is 10 lanes. Membership and fees do apply
Every 1st Sunday and 2nd Sunday of the month 9am
Range masters are on point so there no screwing around
However you have 50 yards to see what
Your unit can do. It's a safe controlled environment
And a lot of fun. Fair warning. Bring enough ammo
As it goes quickly.

http://www.omegatactical.com/ai1ec_event/westchester-pistol-rifle-club-shoot-2/?instance_id=

Take care
Steve