• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anybody "Tie" Their Holster to their leg..?

Outdoorsman1

Ok, I know this would apply strictly t0 open carry and more for long barrel reveolvers but...

I recently purchased a used (nylon) belt holster w/ a Mag. pouch as part of the holster (front of the firearm). It was identical to the holster I had been using except just a littler longer. I got the long one for my full sixe XD- 40 and will save the shorter one for my Glock 27. The XD fit ok in the shorter one but fits better in the longer one. I was suprised to find out that when on my hip, I had a (severe) problem drawing the sidearm..???? When it was holstered off my hip (in my hand) no problem at all (WTF).....

I tried it again on my hip..same problem.. pistol got hung up in the holster and would not draw.. I tried holding down (to my leg) the bottom of the holster with my left hand and drew with my right... no problem..pistol came out as it should... I used a hole punch and punched a small hole into the bottom of the holster and tied a black leather boot lace onto the holster with enough hanging down to wrap around my thigh and tie. PROBLEM SOLVED... the firearm draws as it should. I made it so the tie is directly at the bottom of the holster so the only thing visible is the lace around my leg the actual bow knot is hid by the bottom of the holster.

The "feel" of the lace around my leg is different and something I will get used to and I can loosen the tightness for comfortability when sitting and tighten for actual walk around carry. I suppose that the "look" of a leather boot lace around my upper thigh will be more noticable than if it were not there but I figure if I am open carrying anyway I can (literally) live with the added "attention getter" to be able to draw the firearm without fear of it getting hung up in the holster. As a matter of fact, the draw seems a little faster with the bottom of the holster secured to my leg so I am thinking about doing the same with the shorter holster and the Glock, as well as my holster for the Judge w/ 6 1/2" barrel. When I am in a place that does not allow OC, I still wear the (empty) holster and cover with my shirt. This minimized the visibility of the lace.

Anybody else tie their holsters down.. and why...???

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Dunno what you're trying to prove. Anyway... carry cross draw... no tie-downs required and the gun won't hang in the holster. I don't care what cops do... what John Wayne did or that SASS doesn't like it. It works.

Outdoorsman1

Dunno what you're trying to prove. Anyway... carry cross draw... no tie-downs required and the gun won't hang in the holster. I don't care what cops do... what John Wayne did or that SASS doesn't like it. It works.

Excuse me....???? I am not trying to prove anything. I had a problem drawing form a used holster, solved the problem. posted the soultion, asked a question.... thats it.... I do not understand why you thoughtI was trying to prove something... I am sorry if I struck a nerve on your preferred type of carry.....WOW....

Anyway, unlike you, I do not have the option of carrying in the wide open spaces. Most of my daily carry is open carry and in an urban setting and oftern in a crowded place of business. Granted, cross draw is one way of doing it but I would have a concern that you might not have have to deal with (which I am sure you have already heard of)...... sweeping bystanders while raing the firearm from a cross draw position to a position that would allow sighting the target. I know, I know it has been said that with practice a peson can cross draw while keeping the barrel pointed down thus minimizeing the sweeping affect. I would rather have the 1 or 2 extra seconds drawing straight from my strongarm hip than having to reach across my body to even be able to grab my firearm as well as not have to deal with the sweeping of bystanders with my firearm.

Outdoorsman

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Ok, I know this would apply strictly t0 open carry and more for long barrel reveolvers but...

I recently purchased a used (nylon) belt holster w/ a Mag. pouch as part of the holster (front of the firearm). It was identical to the holster I had been using except just a littler longer. I got the long one for my full sixe XD- 40 and will save the shorter one for my Glock 27. The XD fit ok in the shorter one but fits better in the longer one. I was suprised to find out that when on my hip, I had a (severe) problem drawing the sidearm..???? When it was holstered off my hip (in my hand) no problem at all (WTF).....

I tried it again on my hip..same problem.. pistol got hung up in the holster and would not draw.. I tried holding down (to my leg) the bottom of the holster with my left hand and drew with my right... no problem..pistol came out as it should... I used a hole punch and punched a small hole into the bottom of the holster and tied a black leather boot lace onto the holster with enough hanging down to wrap around my thigh and tie. PROBLEM SOLVED... the firearm draws as it should. I made it so the tie is directly at the bottom of the holster so the only thing visible is the lace around my leg the actual bow knot is hid by the bottom of the holster.

The "feel" of the lace around my leg is different and something I will get used to and I can loosen the tightness for comfortability when sitting and tighten for actual walk around carry. I suppose that the "look" of a leather boot lace around my upper thigh will be more noticable than if it were not there but I figure if I am open carrying anyway I can (literally) live with the added "attention getter" to be able to draw the firearm without fear of it getting hung up in the holster. As a matter of fact, the draw seems a little faster with the bottom of the holster secured to my leg so I am thinking about doing the same with the shorter holster and the Glock, as well as my holster for the Judge w/ 6 1/2" barrel. When I am in a place that does not allow OC, I still wear the (empty) holster and cover with my shirt. This minimized the visibility of the lace.

Anybody else tie their holsters down.. and why...???

Outdoorsman1

I haven't heard of anybody tying a holster down. My question is why not try different holsters? What you are describing sounds like a design flaw or the wrong holster for the gun. Any holster you use should function exactly as intended without modification. If it works for you and you are willing to trust it when your life depends on it, more power to you. Post some pictures!!

Aknazer

Nothing like spending $600 for a quality firearm then stuffing it inside a $7.99 nylon one size fits all holster. :banana:

Hey get it right. My blackhawk nylon holster was $10!

Works for me in this heat :cool:

Yea with all of these 100+ days Ive found my nylon holster to be very comfortable for my XDm. Granted it would be nice if we could OC, but I dont have any issues in regards to it sticking, sweating, or it holding my gun. My only complaint would be the plastic clip instead of a metal one; especially when the booklet it comes with talks about a metal clip.

Malcolm

I think you should should just rock a drop-leg and get it over with.....

Just kidding. It is an attention getter though. If I owned a motorcycle, I'd rock a drop leg on the days I did a long ride.

As for the nylon holster thing. I kind of agree. spend the 70 bucks and get a decent one. I tried uncle mikes....never again.