• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do You Open Carry?

Firearms Iinstuctor

mnrobitaille

I open carry to help provide security/safety to my family. I also open carry to help (hopefully) dispel all myths/rumors that everyone who carries a firearm is a BG.

open4years

Peace Officer

My question to you is why did you carry openly, as a peace officer? I imagine the answer is you might need immediate access to your handgun.

Right there, is my answer to your question. Before my health decline, I helped SO many motorists who either had a wreck or vehicle problems. But, not everyone on the side of the road, wants help. They could be conducting a drug deal, while I walk up to ask if I can help.

I used to only carry only a .380 on my left ankle until the day that I chased three armed bank robbers. As a private detective and one who God gave instints to turn down certain roads and every single time, someone needed help - I interfaced with local law enforcement until all LEOs, police chief, Sherrif and dispatch knew me.

This day, I got into my vehicle to find my rear view mirror and mount on the floor. I was sitting at a park, eating lunch, when I heard dispatch putting a BOLO out for these robbers. They had pepper sprayed all tellers. I was through with lunch and I was headed that way anyway.

I observed a vehicle with the three black males and I called 911. They insisted that I get close enough to get the tag number. I protested saying they would make me as my vehicle had a lot of antennas and many thought I was law enforcement. I did as asked and they made me.

They began making U turns, etc. Finally, they pulled into a driveway, while I had to do a U turn in a nearby intersection. Without a rear view mirror, I didn't know which way they turned, at the end of the street. Dispatch had been updating law enforcement, but the delay didn't allow them to get were I was.

Anyway, I chose left and there were dozens of LE vehicles. They had turned right. But, after going back to the bank and being interviewed by the FBI, I was told they would be "hit" later that night.

I thought a lot about what happened. All they had to do was to stop, get out and unload on me. With my long legs, I wouldn't have had a chance getting to my little .380 with no extra magazines. THAT is when I began open carry and frankly, I don't give a BLANK what anyone thinks about it.

I am in a warm climate, so it is very hard to conceal a high caliber pistol. When it is cold, I will conceal carry. My focus is immediate access to my firearm, just as every LEO has. Why should a citizen have to waste time getting to a concealed and possibly lower caliber firearm, when LE carrys openly?? I can legally carry openly and I shall continue.

By the way, open4years doesn't mean I carried openly for 4 years. It means FOR years. I learned how to open carry where almost no one notices. This was not the case when I began. The majority of people are very unobservent. But, if someone notices and is concerned, I tell them I have a permit to carry.

I could have shared more examples that lead me to open carry, that didn't involve putting my life on the line. But, I am not defending my choice, I'm explaining it to you. I hope you understand. If not, I won't lose any sleep!

solus

My question to you is why did you carry openly, as a peace officer? I imagine the answer is you might need immediate access to your handgun.

Right there, is my answer to your question. Before my health decline, I helped SO many motorists who either had a wreck or vehicle problems. But, not everyone on the side of the road, wants help. They could be conducting a drug deal, while I walk up to ask if I can help.

I used to only carry only a .380 on my left ankle until the day that I chased three armed bank robbers. As a private detective and one who God gave instints to turn down certain roads and every single time, someone needed help - I interfaced with local law enforcement until all LEOs, police chief, Sherrif and dispatch knew me.

This day, I got into my vehicle to find my rear view mirror and mount on the floor. I was sitting at a park, eating lunch, when I heard dispatch putting a BOLO out for these robbers. They had pepper sprayed all tellers. I was through with lunch and I was headed that way anyway.

I observed a vehicle with the three black males and I called 911. They insisted that I get close enough to get the tag number. I protested saying they would make me as my vehicle had a lot of antennas and many thought I was law enforcement. I did as asked and they made me.

They began making U turns, etc. Finally, they pulled into a driveway, while I had to do a U turn in a nearby intersection. Without a rear view mirror, I didn't know which way they turned, at the end of the street. Dispatch had been updating law enforcement, but the delay didn't allow them to get were I was.

Anyway, I chose left and there were dozens of LE vehicles. They had turned right. But, after going back to the bank and being interviewed by the FBI, I was told they would be "hit" later that night.

I thought a lot about what happened. All they had to do was to stop, get out and unload on me. With my long legs, I wouldn't have had a chance getting to my little .380 with no extra magazines. THAT is when I began open carry and frankly, I don't give a BLANK what anyone thinks about it.

I am in a warm climate, so it is very hard to conceal a high caliber pistol. When it is cold, I will conceal carry. My focus is immediate access to my firearm, just as every LEO has. Why should a citizen have to waste time getting to a concealed and possibly lower caliber firearm, when LE carrys openly?? I can legally carry openly and I shall continue.

By the way, open4years doesn't mean I carried openly for 4 years. It means FOR years. I learned how to open carry where almost no one notices. This was not the case when I began. The majority of people are very unobservent. But, if someone notices and is concerned, I tell them I have a permit to carry.

I could have shared more examples that lead me to open carry, that didn't involve putting my life on the line. But, I am not defending my choice, I'm explaining it to you. I hope you understand. If not, I won't lose any sleep!

oh, dear, my internet connection switched my computer to an episode of the 'true detective' channel...

why am i soooo confused of your tale of wanta be LEO where, as a private detective, you monitor emergency frequency? or you cruise the highways, as a private detective, assisting motorists? and as a private detective you only carried a back up gun on your ankle?

how do you 'learn' to open carry so 'almost no one notices'? and it wasn't the case when you began??

yepper, all the makings of a trashy true detective article including the lead into for a series: 'i could have shared more examples...' 'that didn't involve putting my life on the line.'

uh the bank robbers used pepper spray to rob the bank...and you listened to the 911 operator to follow...they went against policy telling you to get a plate number...

and multiple antenna on your vehicle...low profile private detective aren't you...

ipse

Last edited:

mynameiscolb

oh, dear, my internet connection switched my computer to an episode of the 'true detective' channel...

why am i soooo confused of your tale of wanta be LEO where, as a private detective, you monitor emergency frequency? or you cruise the highways, as a private detective, assisting motorists? and as a private detective you only carried a back up gun on your ankle?

how do you 'learn' to open carry so 'almost no one notices'? and it wasn't the case when you began??

yepper, all the makings of a trashy true detective article including the lead into for a series: 'i could have shared more examples...' 'that didn't involve putting my life on the line.'

uh the bank robbers used pepper spray to rob the bank...and you listened to the 911 operator to follow...they went against policy telling you to get a plate number...

and multiple antenna on your vehicle...low profile private detective aren't you...

ipse
The only thing trashy is continously judging others when nobody has asked for your opinion.

Bernymac

Cool-story-bro-aint-a-clue-if-this-already-exists_ff5759_3462961.jpg

Fallschirjmäger

... Body armor or bullet-resistant anything, do not stop the round, the kinetic energy and force from the velocity will still knock down anyone.
That is not the case here are several you tubes of Richard Davis shooting himself and not getting knock over.
A lot of projectiles deliver less energy then a good punch.
Nu-uhh, I saw a shotgun blast throw Mel Gibson through a window in Lethal Weapon I. You're not telling me real life is different than what I see in them fancy moving picture shows are you?

Nang pa

My question is simple, Why open Carry?
I only conceal when I have reason (which, unfortunately, is quite often), as OC is the default carry style. There once was a time in the US where concealed carry was banned, you could only carry openly.

I have no experience with people carrying an unloaded gun. That seems to be an odd activity. When I OC, it's loaded, round in chamber and ready to rock.

To carry open or concealed is not but social convention. There is no "tactical advantage" either way, it's all preference.

Last edited:

caleb4387

I open carry because it's the closest thing to the constitutional right as God intended. Sure there son restrictions such as no open carry in a car in ohio without a permit and the usual no gun places but for the most part you can strap it on and head outside and carry. Once I pull my shirt down over it I am acknowledging that it's become. Permitted privilege..I acknowledge that I had to pay 91dollars to the sheriffs dept and wait 42 days to e,exercise my "right" or the waters down version of it we have now. So open carry equals family more constitutional for me. Plus OWB is most comfortable for. Full frame revolver and I like the crime deterrent effect etc.

Ghost1958

Why? Im in KY. OC is state constitutionally protected against regulation since state hood.
No permits BC, no nothing required. Not even an id. Loaded of course.
I have a ccdw for going out of state, church marriage or funerals when i will conceal. Or into one of the few places that have a no gun sign. The signs are less than worthless here.

I OC at home in the house or out puttering around the place doing chores.
If i need to go to town during the day I see no reason to change holsters etc to cc so I just go OC.
LE cannot stop or charge you with anything at all for OC here and they dont try.
Nobody pays any attention to OC here.
Even if they did there is flatly nothing anyone can do about it. The legislature is given no authority to regulate oc in any way. Only to prevent cc if they choose.
Its handy, less hassle, whats not to like?

ArtBrownSr

Because I can. Who said it? Something like "God made man. Sam Colt made them equal." Now I can be equal, at 5'8" 175# and 60+ years old to a fella 6'00"175# 20+years old.
Besides IF an "ARMED SOCIETY is a POLITE SOCIETY" OC is the display of this part of society is ARMED.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Because I can. Who said it? Something like "God made man. Sam Colt made them equal." Now I can be equal, at 5'8" 175# and 60+ years old to a fella 6'00"175# 20+years old.
Besides IF an "ARMED SOCIETY is a POLITE SOCIETY" OC is the display of this part of society is ARMED.
There is no better question than that which doesn't require an answer.

Some questions, like some men, stand alone on their own merits.

Chief Ten Beers

I don't see how I missed this thread, but I did, and now I found it. :D

I open carry for several reasons, such as;

1. I don't have, nor do I need a ccwp, I live in Kentucky.
2. I'm not ashamed of my guns, so why hide them.
3. I carry because it's a civil right. Rights need no reasons or justification.
4. I carry to be able to protect myself.
5. I carry for education. (Showing other people that gun /= evil, murder, death, etc., as well as having a better idea of how to exercise their RKBA... heck, sometimes people don't even know that they're allowed to!)

Open carrying a gun is a right. You don't need permission to do anything that is your right.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

One time I was told that firearms should only be for LEO and that people should not be able to have firearms. I asked them what gives them the right to say such a thing, and their reply was "I have a right to speak and that is protected by the Constitution!" I smiled and said "that's funny, my right to have a firearm is protected by that very same Constitution...imagine that".

Last edited by a moderator:

Freedom1Man

SNIP
One time I was told that firearms should only be for LEO and that people should not be able to have firearms. I asked them what gives them the right to say such a thing, and their reply was "I have a right to speak and that is protected by the Constitution!" I smiled and said "that's funny, my right to have a firearm is protected by that very same Constitution...imagine that".

I like telling people that only firemen should put out fires then. Only paramedics should preform first-aid. Only Santa should give gifts....

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk