• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do You Open Carry?

BigLig45

I agree. Who gives a fish what others think?:p
I am the one who should decide what the best means of defending myself and my family is, and that decision is subject to change along with the circumstances, but the decision is mine to make. I do appreciate suggestions though.:)

The fact of the matter is that antis vilify guns for being effective at what they do. It's not like ARs and 1911 were made to fling roses and candied sweets. Antis try to frame us and the guns as "evil" because modern platforms are good at what were meant to do. It would be like ostracizing the hard-working employee who is getting ahead simply for doing a better job than the others. I believe their is a system of government that goes along those line. Social-something...:confused: Social-ism?:lol:

The vast majority are dead center middle of the issue. We stand on opposite sides of the antis with those as the fence. My philosophy is that we need to educate as many of them as possible. We cannot rely on MSM to do it. We cannot rely on them to seek out information that is readily available, because they won't question the MSM without help. Also, and more importantly, they cannot be bothered to research something they do not care enough about in the first place.

Through OC, I interact with more and more of that "fence". Every now and then I will run into someone from the other side of the fence, but that has never ended well for them. Through conversation, polite and friendly, I feel I have at least planted the seed of hope in those that make up the fence to come to our side when it comes to a Vote. They do not need to come to the range, the just need to not fear those of us that are lawabiding, gun carrying citizens.

In the end, people need to know what they are really voting on. That is part of my goal as an OCer.

Hoyt

I agree

Lawdog,

I open carry in hopes of spreading the understanding that it is not the gun at fault. It is the person who weilds it that makes the difference.

In "our world" we live in is only as big as the people we meet or come in close contact with. If by chance all the people you know, meet and come in close contact with OC and never brandish the weapon! wow! what a nice "world" we would be able to live in. By never brandish, I mean never have to, due to a crime.

Castleninja

1) to protect myself and my family
2) it's legal in my state
3) don't have the money or immediate need for a ccw

Bernymac

With the exception of one Gecko21sfpistol, I can draw faster from OC than CC. :shocker:

I like the strategic advantage of OC:cool: over the tactical advantage of the CC only crowd:rolleyes:

:dude:

Rusty Young Man

With the exception of one Gecko21sfpistol, I can draw faster from OC than CC. :shocker:

I like the strategic advantage of OC:cool: over the tactical advantage of the CC only crowd:rolleyes:

:dude:

That makes for a great signature line.
You could also include the first half.:lol:

MontanaResident

I carry. Not open or concealed. If I'm wearing a jacket and it partially hides my pistol, then according to the law I'm conceal carrying. With that being the exception, I consider myself an open carry person. Why open carry? The bears!!! I had one last spring poking his nose over my deck a few feet from my patio screen door. Had the dog not warned me, I would have had a bear in my house. Out hiking, fishing, hunting, or anything outdoors, anything less then a 44Mag and I'd be a predator snack. In walking the dog, I see wolf tracks regularly and once (and that's enough) saw mountain lion tracks.

rottman43055

what is a peace officer

I know it's not a cop, they armed gangs who escalate situations, maim & kill people for victimless "crimes" with full immunity.

As to open carry, it's different for each person, be it political, self defense, ease of access to your weapon, heck, for some people either being a little larger than average or smaller than average OC makes sense.

Javelina

I know it's not a cop, they armed gangs who escalate situations, maim & kill people for victimless "crimes" with full immunity.

As to open carry, it's different for each person, be it political, self defense, ease of access to your weapon, heck, for some people either being a little larger than average or smaller than average OC makes sense.

As far as I have researched, Peace Officers and Police Officers are pretty much the same thing (hopefully there may be a LEO who knows if thats correct).

For me I open carry for self defense. Being a resident of the great state of Arizona I am legally allowed to open carry a firearm (starts at 18). I am 19 and OC my Glock 22 almost everywhere I go outside of work. When I open carry I feel I am able to protect myself better should an immediate threat to my life occur. Also the police response time may be anywhere from 2-8 minutes, in other words, when the seconds count police are only minutes away.

drsysadmin

Well "Lawdog" - since your supposedly a former LEO, let me ask you this. Why do your current uniformed brethren carry openly? If you answer honestly, those same reasons are the ones many of us have in mind when we open carry.

1) Deterrence factor
2) Faster access when deterrence fails.

If it is good enough for a LEO, then there is no reason that it isn't good enough for us all. LEO's are not "special" people with rights ordained by God and our forefathers over and above the rest of us.

countryclubjoe

As a retiree you have been at the peace keeping business for a bit. Please articulate how you believe we as a nation have come to the state we are now with regard to fearing firearms and the perceived public fear of private citizens open carrying firearms.

How did we get to the state of affairs where kids think it is ok to run around shooting airsoft and paint ball guns from moving cars after dark in Walmart parking lots. (Walmart gangsters ) Leadership, integrity and personal accountability are not instilled in young men and women as they were when you started out your career. Why is that?? I know the answer it is rhetorical.

~Whitney

Why I Open Carry

My old grandpa said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's
life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and
usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'."

I don't have a gun to kill people. I have a gun to keep from being
killed.

I don't have a gun to scare people. I have a gun because sometimes
this world can be a scary place.

I don't have a gun because I'm paranoid. I have a gun because there
are real threats in the world.

I don't have a gun because I'm evil. I have a gun because I have
lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't have a gun because I hate the government. I have a gun
because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't have a gun because I'm angry. I have a gun so that I don't
have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be
prepared.

I don't have a gun because I want to shoot someone. I have a gun
because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a
sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't have a gun because I'm a cowboy. I have a gun because, when
I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't have a gun to make me feel like a man. I have a gun because
men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't have a gun because I feel inadequate. I have a gun because
unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't have a gun because I love it. I have a gun because I love
life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

"Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect
themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just
investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to
clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old
to take an ass whoopin'.

+1

After 3 years, this is the greatest reply to the OP query.

My .02

Regards

CCJ

kd7one

The reason I open carry is because I not only read the laws, I also read the definitions of the words within the laws.

Here in Montana, one of the qualifications to get a CCW is to be a United States citizen, however, in the Montana Code 1-1-201 it states "United States" includes the District of Columbia and the territories.

That leads me to think that People who live in Montana are not US Citizens, which would disqualify everyone in the state from getting a CCW.

This is considered a "public statute"

1-1-106. Public and private statutes. Statutes are public or private. A private statute is one which concerns only certain designated individuals and affects only their private rights. All other statutes are public, in which are included statutes creating or affecting corporations.

The last time I checked, I am not a corporation, unless the corporate government is referring to my strawman fictional entity.

PATRIOT88

Banned
For defense and security. All I have to say. I understand carry laws vary state to state, however, an unloaded firearm of any kind is as useless as these silly and flawed bullet-resistant (supposedly) backpacks they want to give kids in schools. I use bullet-resistant because there is no such thing as bullet proof in body armor...it just is not possible. The round will penetrate the backpack, body armor or helmet. I do not think anything is ''bullet proof'' except for the Stryker and MBTs. Regardless, an active shooter or any other individual or criminal with evil intent is not going to be stopped or phased whether or not he knows of the bullet-resistant armor and nothing, short of armed security or armed campus police, is going to stop said active shooter or psycho from murdering the innocent children or shooting them in the head/neck. The bullet-resistant backpacks is just as much a flawed idea as the bullet-resistant chalkboards. Body armor or bullet-resistant anything, do not stop the round, the kinetic energy and force from the velocity will still knock down anyone.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For defense and security. All I have to say. I understand carry laws vary state to state, however, an unloaded firearm of any kind is as useless as these silly and flawed bullet-resistant (supposedly) backpacks they want to give kids in schools. I use bullet-resistant because there is no such thing as bullet proof in body armor...it just is not possible. The round will penetrate the backpack, body armor or helmet. I do not think anything is ''bullet proof'' except for the Stryker and MBTs. Regardless, an active shooter or any other individual or criminal with evil intent is not going to be stopped or phased whether or not he knows of the bullet-resistant armor and nothing, short of armed security or armed campus police, is going to stop said active shooter or psycho from murdering the innocent children or shooting them in the head/neck. The bullet-resistant backpacks is just as much a flawed idea as the bullet-resistant chalkboards. Body armor or bullet-resistant anything, do not stop the round, the kinetic energy and force from the velocity will still knock down anyone.

Interesting comment considering your previous post regarding what you carried.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...C-OC-experience-reports&p=2150722#post2150722