• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do You Open Carry?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
People with a permit to speak should have an exemption - people w/o should be relegated to free speech zones. No discourse within city limits or within 100 yards of an occupied building. Please turn off your cell phones when discussing this.

Do you hear the mockingbird?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

People with a permit to speak should have an exemption - people w/o should be relegated to free speech zones. No discourse within city limits or within 100 yards of an occupied building. Please turn of your cell phones when discussing this.

Do you hear the mockingbird?
j

The element of surprise with hidden speech?.....:p

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have actually put to market an open carry badge for Texas in response to HB 910. House Bill 910 which takes effect Jan 1, 2016.

--Moderator deleted link, violation of rule #10--

It is 18K gold plated and so far everyone loves it. I don't plan to get involved in the national debate but it seems to be the right thing for us.

First. Welcome to OCDO and the free world. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Now for the badge. Badges have been discussed here in great depth. Most, including myself, do not wish to be mistaken for LEOs. The "badge" is deceptive and gives others an impression of you that is not true. I am a Legally Armed Citizen and I am proud of that. "Are you a cop?" I have heard that before, "No Sir, I am a Legally Armed Citizen, just out to keep me and mine safe." is my reply.
Don't try to be something you are not. The badge is a lie, so be Yourself. OC is legal, don't muck it up with a badge. If you want a "badge", the State Police are hiring big time here.

Last edited by a moderator:

PATRIOT88

Banned
Why I Open Carry

I open carry for atleast 4-6 reasons

1) NC is a traditional open carry state and thus, reinforced by the state constitution, US Constitution and Article 3 of Human Rights.

Article 3.
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/index.html

Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Legislation/constitution/ncconstitution.html

2) Open Carry is free in 30-31 states. Unlicensed. Giving myself and others the chance to spend 70-150 dollars that would otherwise be spent for concealed carry, on something else; such as food.

3) It is an effective deterrent against assaults, attacks and crimes. Very few scum or criminals will plan an attack or assault on an armed individual. This is especially true for females.

4) Open Carry means you have nothing to hide. While it does require a bolder attitude than concealed carry and higher level of situational awareness, unless you live in a sensitized area or city, very few people will care. I have open carried since May of this year and never had any real issue. Police even praise and thank me for open carrying and have said my safety is my responsibility.

5) Open Carry grants more comfort in Spring and Summer and access to your arm is quicker.

utbagpiper

Banned
Open carrying a gun is a right. You don't need permission to do anything that is your right.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms

It is a shame that some seem to believe that being pro-OC requires one to be anti discrete-carry or CC.

I carry for defense of myself and my loved ones. I don't care to adjust my wardrobe or daily routine in order to accommodate carrying. So when the weather turns cold, I don't worry about my jacket covering my otherwise OCd firearm. When I'm engaged in an activity where an OC'd firearm is going to get in the way, I prefer a pocket gun. On the flip side, when the weather is warm, I don't care to try to conceal my firearm.

When I'm OCing, I'm cognizant of the potential for educating others. But such is very rarely my motivation to carry.

I also believe that to make any distinction between a right to OC and a right to CC is to tacitly accept unconstitutional restrictions on our RKBA. The 2A doesn't make any distinction between openly or concealing keeping and bearing of arms. The 4th amendment protects my rights to be secure in my property and effects, generally interpreted as a right to privacy.

That restrictions on carrying concealed were the first infringements of our RKBA to be accepted by the courts doesn't make them any less offensive than restrictions put into place this week by one governor or another.

With federal laws regarding "gun free school zones" not recognizing any "right" to OC within 1000' of a school, and with a growing number of States placing CC onto equal statutory footing as OC (ie no permit required), legal and social distinctions between OC and CC are coming to an end.

We should support the legal and social ability for LACs to carry firearms. A personal preference for OC, recognizing the personal/social/educational/political benefits of OC should not translate into hostility toward CC if that is how some choose to carry at least some of the time.

Charles

Last edited:

exelci

I personally see it as a cultural thing more than anything else. NorthUmerica.

nobama

It is a shame that some seem to believe that being pro-OC requires one to be anti discrete-carry or CC.

I carry for defense of myself and my loved ones. I don't care to adjust my wardrobe or daily routine in order to accommodate carrying. So when the weather turns cold, I don't worry about my jacket covering my otherwise OCd firearm. When I'm engaged in an activity where an OC'd firearm is going to get in the way, I prefer a pocket gun. On the flip side, when the weather is warm, I don't care to try to conceal my firearm.

When I'm OCing, I'm cognizant of the potential for educating others. But such is very rarely my motivation to carry.

I also believe that to make any distinction between a right to OC and a right to CC is to tacitly accept unconstitutional restrictions on our RKBA. The 2A doesn't make any distinction between openly or concealing keeping and bearing of arms. The 4th amendment protects my rights to be secure in my property and effects, generally interpreted as a right to privacy.

That restrictions on carrying concealed were the first infringements of our RKBA to be accepted by the courts doesn't make them any less offensive than restrictions put into place this week by one governor or another.

With federal laws regarding "gun free school zones" not recognizing any "right" to OC within 1000' of a school, and with a growing number of States placing CC onto equal statutory footing as OC (ie no permit required), legal and social distinctions between OC and CC are coming to an end.

We should support the legal and social ability for LACs to carry firearms. A personal preference for OC, recognizing the personal/social/educational/political benefits of OC should not translate into hostility toward CC if that is how some choose to carry at least some of the time.

Charles
You are correct. The only thing I will add is, all the anti-OC comes mostly from CC only people that I have noticed. The old saying, "they started it"

Satdiver

OC

"You all have the power as an organization to lobby to get laws in this state and others changed. As individuals sure you can contact your elected officials and voice how you feel about certain laws, but as a organization you have the power to not only voice your concerns, but actually have a lot of muscle and clout to get your beliefs to become law".

You need to move out of Commifornia to Nevada. I have my CCW but choose to OC my XDM .45 with a round in the chamber as it's more comfortable to carry a full size pistol this way, rather than trying to conceal it.

I would think that the Commifornia LEO Associations would be the VOICE of Commifornia to protect and defend the 2nd Amendment. Where is your voice as a band of law enforcement officials fighting against Dianne Feinstein and other Commifornia anti-2nd Amendment officials?

Why do we see great LEO from other states publicly supporting the 2nd Amendment like David Clarke Milwaukee County, Wisconsin? Why do we NOT SEE ANY LEO from Commifornia publicly denouncing the leftist anti-gun agenda?

Why do not see any Commifornia LEO publicly refusing to enforce these anti-gun laws?

Seems YOU (Commifornia LEO) as a organization you have the power to not only voice your concerns, but actually have a lot of muscle and clout to get your beliefs to become law". YET, YOUR VOICES ARE SILENT

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"You all have the power as an organization to lobby to get laws in this state and others changed. As individuals sure you can contact your elected officials and voice how you feel about certain laws, but as a organization you have the power to not only voice your concerns, but actually have a lot of muscle and clout to get your beliefs to become law".

You need to move out of Commifornia to Nevada. I have my CCW but choose to OC my XDM .45 with a round in the chamber as it's more comfortable to carry a full size pistol this way, rather than trying to conceal it.

I would think that the Commifornia LEO Associations would be the VOICE of Commifornia to protect and defend the 2nd Amendment. Where is your voice as a band of law enforcement officials fighting against Dianne Feinstein and other Commifornia anti-2nd Amendment officials?

Why do we see great LEO from other states publicly supporting the 2nd Amendment like David Clarke Milwaukee County, Wisconsin? Why do we NOT SEE ANY LEO from Commifornia publicly denouncing the leftist anti-gun agenda?

Why do not see any Commifornia LEO publicly refusing to enforce these anti-gun laws?

Seems YOU (Commifornia LEO) as a organization you have the power to not only voice your concerns, but actually have a lot of muscle and clout to get your beliefs to become law". YET, YOUR VOICES ARE SILENT
"In California, Sheriff Adam Christianson of Stanislaus County wrote to the vice president: "I refuse to take firearms from law abiding citizens and will not turn law-abiding citizens into criminals by enforcing useless gun control legislation."

A letter sent to Sen. Dianne Feinstein from Sheriff Jon Lopey of Siskiyou County, California states: "Our founding fathers got it right and many politicians are getting it wrong."

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwy...fs-refusing-enforce-unconstitutional-gun-laws

Last edited:

OC for ME

"In California, Sheriff Adam Christianson of Stanislaus County wrote to the vice president: "I refuse to take firearms from law abiding citizens and will not turn law-abiding citizens into criminals by enforcing useless gun control legislation."

A letter sent to Sen. Dianne Feinstein from Sheriff Jon Lopey of Siskiyou County, California states: "Our founding fathers got it right and many politicians are getting it wrong."

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwy...fs-refusing-enforce-unconstitutional-gun-laws
Meh...

Are these "good sheriffs" arresting municipal cops in their counties for enforcing unconstitutional gun laws? Are they arresting state LEOs for same?

I'll wait...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Meh...

Are these "good sheriffs" arresting municipal cops in their counties for enforcing unconstitutional gun laws? Are they arresting state LEOs for same?

I'll wait...
Where is that being done anywhere? California is not exclusive to that regard.

OC for ME

http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

... 28 of the 29 sheriff's in Utah sent a letter to President Obama stating that they will not enforce any new gun laws they believe to be unconstitutional.

Oregon sheriffs have said that they will not comply with any new unconstitutional gun regulations...

Lawrence County Sheriff Brad Delay tells the president: "I will...rise to the defense and aid of all Americans should the federal government attempt to enact any legislation, or executive order that impedes, erodes, or otherwise diminishes their constitutional right to keep and bear arms."

Sheriff Denny Peyman of Jackson County, Kentucky told citizens "you are never going to pull a gun from Jackson County."

Smith County, Texas Sheriff, Larry Smith has said, "I will not enforce an unconstitutional law against any citizen in Smith County.

Martin County Sheriff, Bill Snyder said that he will not enforce federal gun laws: "Local law enforcement authorities are not empowered to enforce Federal law," Snyder said.
Current unconstitutional laws are OK and will be enforced.

Will the good sheriffs arrest subordinate LEOs for enforcing what they will view as new unconstitutional anti-gun laws? We already know the answer regarding the multitude of current unconstitutional anti-gun laws being enforced by sheriff departments and subordinate LEAs.

Citizens holding elected office making promises...sound familiar?

Satdiver

Why OC

Well that is honestly the first time I have seen that and its 3 years old. What about now? what if anything is the Commifornia LEO & Sheriff Associations doing now to fight the liberal left politicians?

I did not hear of any backlash from them each and every time Commifornia passes more ridiculous gun laws, sometimes the "Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease". You would think they would be using social media to their advantage i.e. facebook, twitter, being on the news, etc. publicly stating their reaffirmation to up hold the Constitution to include the 2nd Amendment, but they don't, or maybe I simply have missed it.

Satdiver

Commifornia

I honestly never seen that article, and its 3 years old, what are they doing now?

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/eric-scheiner/limits-shotgun-purchases-among-calif-gun-control-measures

Yet the stupidy in Commifornia continues - and we still don't hear the voices of LEO in Commifornia. Sad, but true.

Nang pa

Why do You Open Carry?
For the same reason I OC my watch: so I can get to it when I need it. That truly is all there is to it.

OC is the default method, and at one time was the only legal way to carry at all.

What I need reasons for is CC, not OC.

Last edited: