• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Score!!!!!!!!!!!

M-Taliesin

Score!!!!! My CCW is Approved!

Howdy Folks!
As those of you who have met me know, I have been somewhat paranoid since applying for my CCW that I would be denied.
What I've learned over the years is that the things I most fret about don't happen.
This bit of wisdom has never yet kept me from fretting about stuff.

For example, I figured I'd get turned down when I decided to buy my first handgun back in April.
To my great relief, I passed the background check and was able to buy a gun.

Every time I went to buy a gun, I fretted whether I'd still pass background, despite having not done anything to disqualify me.
Nevertheless, I fretted each and every purchase.

Then I took the CCW class and fretted whether I'd qualify on the range for my certificate of completion.
Should I have cause to worry? No, not really. I always shoot well on the range.
But that didn't keep me from fretting about it anyway.
When we shot for qualification, I did really well. So did the wife.

When the day came that my pardner, my wife and I all went together to the sheriff's office for our CCW permits, I figured it was futile for me to apply for one. I figured I'd get turned down. We did the whole process; fingerprinting, applications, photographs.
Still, I fretted about whether I'd get approved. You guys who have met me recently know this is true! You've heard my lamentations!

I found out today.... SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife passed, as I knew she would, but so too did I.
My wife works at the sheriff's office, and the deputy in charge of those permits ran into my wife today and told her we were approved for our CCW permits. Even me! The deputy who must sign our permits was not at work today, but should be there tomorrow. If he shows up, I should have my brand spanking new CCW permit by noon tomorrow. Hopefully the guy ain't off on a two week vacation or something odd. Something new to fret about! LOL!

Just shows to go ya, I really didn't need to fret about the whole darn thing.
Which, of course, didn't keep me from fretting about it.
The things I worry about most never seem to happen.
And in this instance, I scored!
Can't wait to see it in my very own hands!
Until that happens, I guess I can enjoy another fret or two!

And I still intend to open carry whenever the whim takes me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Gunslinger

You are too paranoid, my friend. Comes from being a liberal who believes in the 2nd Amendment. I just filled out a 4473 for a new HD pump shotgun without giving it a second thought. Just as every time I buy a gun or every time I've applied for a CCW--including three times in the PDR of MA.

mahkagari

My wife works at the sheriff's office, and the deputy in charge of those permits ran into my wife today and told her we were approved for our CCW permits. Even me! The deputy who must sign our permits was not at work today, but should be there tomorrow. If he shows up, I should have my brand spanking new CCW permit by noon tomorrow. Hopefully the guy ain't off on a two week vacation or something odd. Something new to fret about! LOL!

That seemed quick. Did it help to have your lady-pardner working there?

mahkagari

Mine was not a criticism, so your reply is off base. Mine was a request.

And he's a Founder's Club Member, Taliesen, so you'd better give that request the respect it deserves. It doesn't matter if you weren't being defensive and were being your usual jovial self or that your posts are always cordial and respectfual and spark discussion, he wants a descriptive thread title so you'll do it and like it Mister!

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

And he's a Founder's Club Member, Taliesen, so you'd better give that request the respect it deserves. It doesn't matter if you weren't being defensive and were being your usual jovial self or that your posts are always cordial and respectfual and spark discussion, he wants a descriptive thread title so you'll do it and like it Mister!

Howdy Mahkagari!
I thought my thread title was entirely descriptive. It was an expression of having accomplished a goal. Of having achieved an objective.
How better to express my delight than that single word I used. The reader would understand that I was happy about accomplishing something.
Does it really matter specifically what was achieved in the thread title? I figured somebody who might want to know what I'd done would take a moment to read the thread. The point was my elation, not the CCW itself! Was that simply too esoteric for some to understand?

As an objective observer, do you think the thread title was descriptive of what I wanted to convey?

I guess I should mind my P's and Q's for those folks who ain't from Colorado because there seems to be a real sensitive side to folks who ain't acquainted with our easy going, git along, compadre sort of attitude.

Personally I think my thread title was concise, accurate and expressed what I wanted to say. I posted it when feeling a great deal of satisfaction at having finally cleared all the hurdles and grabbed the prize at the end of this endurance event. I certainly didn't want to title my thread something insipid like "Golly Gee, Golly Gosh, I Am Getting My CCW That I've Worked So Hard To Get, Fretted Over For Months, Spent a Ton Of Money To Get, And Am As Giddy As A Little Girl With A New Kitten And Can Hardly Control My Water Until It Is In My Hand At Long Last.

After all that, I don't think I'd need to fill in the body of the post because I'd have already covered it in the title!!!

Wow, I really, truly, and overwhelmingly am plunged into consternation that somebody would take issue with the title.
It said what I felt, and the casual reader could easily understand that something good had come my way. Was it really necessary to state what it was in the title when the point was my elation at the accomplishment? That was the main topic of the thread... how I felt about winning one for the Gipper... not whining about one for the Citizen!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Does this mean you'll use informative thread titles, or not? Mine was not a criticism, so your reply is off base. Mine was a request.

Howdy Citizen!
Does this mean you are trying to hijack the thread by taking it entirely off topic?
This thread isn't about topic titles.
It is about my pleasure at having attained a goal.
I don't care whether yours was criticism or not. I never said anything of that nature.
My reply isn't off base, because the title was precisely what it needed to be.
It wasn't specifically about getting a CCW.
It was... and I can't believe I really need to break down and explain this to a person of reasonable intellect,
about my satisfaction at attaining a goal. It was about achieving an objective. It was succint to that end.

The only off base reply here is your request, which was inappropriate. Why do you feel a need to critique others on thread titles?
I haven't seen anyone else doing that. So it raises reasonable question why you feel so compelled?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

That seemed quick. Did it help to have your lady-pardner working there?

Howdy Mahkagari!
Let me be succinct so I don't get questions about what I mean.....
It certainly didn't hurt! LOL!

Actually, because my wife works for the Sheriff's office, we got "fast-tracked".
After all, she's already been investigated by everybody short of aliens from Area 51!
She's been polygraphed, fingerprinted, psychologically profiled, checked out with the FBI, CBI
and a bunch of other initial types... and that was just to get her job.

Because she works with inmates in direct contact with them, passes through the jail frequently, and could be targeted on the street, this was a long overdue and sensible thing for her to attain. She should have the means of self defense. I got fast-tracked right along with her because I'm her husband, and more likely to be defensive of my wife in a combat situation, and better prepared to defend her with appropriate force than she is, despite her carrying a firearm. I believe they think I'd be more protective of my wife than she for herself.

We also had our fees waived by the sheriff's office so the $100 apiece was not charged. Only the $52.50 each to CBI for background checks.

So yeah... I guess it did help... a little.

While we got ours in 3 weeks, plus one day, my pardner won't see his until another 59 days or so... and boy is he surly about it too! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

You are too paranoid, my friend. Comes from being a liberal who believes in the 2nd Amendment.

Howdy Gunslinger!
That was hysterically funny! Thank you for the laugh!
Just remember though... just because someone is paranoid doesn't mean they aren't actually out to get him!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Congrats on your ccw. Now you get to fret over which new holsters to get :banghead:

Howdy GvdM!
Oh, how you pegged me there! Yeah... I am fretting about it... a little anyway.
But since my birthday is Saturday, my wife is coming along to Highlands Ranch where a gentleman there will make me a custom holster for my XDm .40 3.8" compact. He'll do a custom job for me, and his price is reasonable too! So I'm now looking forward to Saturday, but fretting about how long it will take for him to complete the project! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Howdy Mahkagari!
Let me be succinct

M-Taliesin,

I would say succinct posts are not your strong suit. M-Taliesin and short posts might be an oxymoron. I mean this in the most friendly way. Your posts are always full of good information but brief they are not. I like your contributions. Carry on! :)

M-Taliesin

Picked 'em up! (CCW Permits, that is, just for those who require descriptive titles!)

Howdy Folks!
My wife and I both picked up our CCW permits today. I am proud that we both managed to get them and I really like the photo on mine.
Compared to the one on my driver's license (which looks for all the world like a mug shot you'd see at the post office) it is a terrific photo.

Now I'm fretting about the rammifactions of OC'ing when I have a CCW permit!
I've seen threads from other parts of the country that suggest you can't OC if you have a CCW. Say what?
And I've seen some that suggest that some jurisdictions get really beligerent to a CCW permit holder if they weapon ever gets exposed.
What's up with that?
Then there are evidently some places where they'll give you a hard time just because the weapon is printing!
These things cause me to fret about CC'ing.

So my next question (whether completely logical or not) is:
Does Colorado really bother with such nonsense, or is it only the City and County of Denver that is likely to be problematic?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Howdy Citizen!
Does this mean you are trying to hijack the thread by taking it entirely off topic?
This thread isn't about topic titles.
It is about my pleasure at having attained a goal.
I don't care whether yours was criticism or not. I never said anything of that nature.
My reply isn't off base, because the title was precisely what it needed to be.
It wasn't specifically about getting a CCW.
It was... and I can't believe I really need to break down and explain this to a person of reasonable intellect,
about my satisfaction at attaining a goal. It was about achieving an objective. It was succint to that end.

The only off base reply here is your request, which was inappropriate. Why do you feel a need to critique others on thread titles?
I haven't seen anyone else doing that. So it raises reasonable question why you feel so compelled?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Mine was a request for informative thread titles. It did not need a reply. It wasn't a question. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting a reply. It was request to which I attached little, but not no significance.

Your first reply, although unnecessary, did not address the request directly. You went off on a tangent about succinctness--a justification. At that point, you aquired my attention. A dodge.

Bearing in mind that my request for an informative thread title did not even need a reply, you were the one that took your own thread off-topic.

And, I can just tell you now that if you dodge with me, I'll highlight it for everybody to see.

Blame me if you want; but, you'd do well to consider how your own dodge contributed.

M-Taliesin

Mine was a request for informative thread titles. It did not need a reply. It wasn't a question. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting a reply. It was request to which I attached little, but not no significance.

Your first reply, although unnecessary, did not address the request directly. You went off on a tangent about succinctness--a justification. At that point, you aquired my attention. A dodge.

Bearing in mind that my request for an informative thread title did not even need a reply, you were the one that took your own thread off-topic.

And, I can just tell you now that if you dodge with me, I'll highlight it for everybody to see.

Blame me if you want; but, you'd do well to consider how your own dodge contributed.

Howdy Citizen!
Your posts regarding the thread title are (and continue to be) off topic.
Please be considerate rather than looking for an argument.
If you don't wish to discuss the topic, there are plenty of others you may enjoy.
As far as I am concerned, this conversation with you is over and done.
And I really have no wish (let alone desire) to justify myself to you for any reason whatsoever.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

mahkagari

Oh, please do. Please tell us more how we're all too stupid to see or care what a "dodge" Taliesen is making of your "requests". We're really sorely lacking that, you know. We've got joviality, conviviality, comraderie, but what we're really lacking is someone to make a light hearted response to a pithy "request" into a p****** match. Please, I implore you, highlight away. Show us how our state's forum of people enjoying eachother's company and the writing style of a good guy is out and out the wrong approach and how, instead of blowing off anything that would disturb a group of OCers gettng along well, it is a moral imperative that we nitpick it as a "dodge". We're downright yearning for it. Lead us, oh Citizen. Show us this great way of highlighting the "dodges" you speak of. We are blind and cannot see save for you highlighting for all to see.