• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Tom Maassen

I've been reading through the forums, and it seems like everyone is up in the air on this.

Obviously, I would like to apply for my CC permit. I am planning on being at the DOJ with everyone else Nov. 1 to hand in my application. I'm even planning on bringing my laptop and printer out to print applications for anyone who might need one.

My problem is with the certification. I'm traveling Monday through Friday, only home on the weekends. I went through the hunters safety program in MO when I was a kid (over 20 years ago, and don't have a clue what happened to my hunters ed card). I don't have the time to sit through the hunters ed class again, and besides none of the classes offered in the entire state of WI fit my work schedule because all of them that I found on the DNR listing required at least one weekday evening that I simply can not commit to. On class in NW WI was saturdays only, but that's a 10 hour round trip for me for 3 saturdays in a row...... I've got a wife and kid at home that I never get to see as it is.

Took the MD Online Training class and submitted my certificate for that. I've seen all of the threads for "it'll work, it won't work".

Now for my main question. Does anyone have any idea on whether or not the Hunters Ed online certification will work, or should I just wait until we get a little closer and hope I don't have to spend $400 on a "class" for this permit?

I realize that the official training curriculum hasn't been released yet, so no one needs to point that out. It's just very confusing.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

you havent read ALL the threads....
apparently the data base of hunters "that have guns" is very alive and well.
many guys have wrote that cabelas can do a search on a computor thingy,
and verify the hunter safety course, and print out a replacement card for 2.50$!

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
you havent read ALL the threads....
apparently the data base of hunters "that have guns" is very alive and well.
many guys have wrote that cabelas can do a search on a computor thingy,
and verify the hunter safety course, and print out a replacement card for 2.50$!

I'll go along with that. Haven't read all of them, you got me there. I haven't seen that thread yet. I'll definitely pop in there this weekend. Any idea if there database covers that long ago? MO DNR claims they didn't have the means to look up anything past 1995

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Why just focusing on hunter's safety? You'll qualify with miltary training or if you hold or had a permit from another state or with training from a qualified instructor.

kcgunfan

Yeah, tried that. Permit was over 20 years old, and they wouldn't/couldn't keep any records from that long ago.

Not to be combative, but I had Hunter's Training in 1983, and they were able to send it to me. As long as it's after 1982, the computers were electronic and they still have all of the data. It took the DOC a while to find mine, because the Conservation Agent reversed my first and last name, but it was there, and they fixed the record.

What is correct is that they will not send you a Hunter's Safety card, because they don't issue those anymore.

What you have to do is apply for a Missouri Conservation Heritage card. I think it's $2. I don't know if you can do it online or not.

This will help you out: http://www.ehow.com/how_5171830_reorder-missouri-hunter-safety-cards.html It's basically the process I went through.

If you can't order one online, I can do it for you at the KC office, and they will send you the card.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
That's not being combative at all, it was actually quite helpful! I was able to call and have them check the records again, even reversing the names, but they still didn't have it in the system. Wasn't the same group of people that I had spoken to previously, and they were much more helpful (and friendly) with the same end result.

@Flipper

Don't have military training, and don't have time to get it either. Don't have a permit in another state, and I was simply hoping to avoid having to go through the basic pistol training course. Been using handguns since I was a kid, so really didn't want to wast away a day learning what happens when you pull the trigger.

If that's what I have to do, then that's what I'll do. Seems to be a waste of money and time (neither of which I really have to spare) but the req's are what the req's are. I'm willing to find a Utah class to attend, but again time and money are an issue.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
I would suggest to the OP that you get an out of state permit between now and 11/1. It will meet the training requirements and, depending on the permit, may end up saving you money.

My $.02 . . . . .

MKEgal

I know there are "instructors certified by a state or national organization" who are members of WCI, who are planning (or already made arrangements to) offer training around the state.

I only know the planned cost for one of those; have to find the thread Auric started about the class he's going to do at McX's place in Racine.

And I remember reading that WCI would be offering free training, but haven't heard about it recently.

You've got time before either 01SEP or 01NOV, depending on how recalcitrant JB is being.
Be patient... things will happen.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, I believe I've missed a couple of those already.

Was debating going for the Utah permit, since that would fulfill two of the requirements (training by a certified instructor and holding an out of state permit) but was concerned about:

1. Wait time for the permit - want it to get here before Nov 1

2. Finding a Utah class instructor that I can attend (work schedule is killing me)

mrjam2jab

Now for my main question. Does anyone have any idea on whether or not the Hunters Ed online certification will work,

I just came to suggest this one to you...missed it my first read thru your post. Only half of the course is online...you still need a "field day". It is on the completion of the field day that you will obtain the actual Hunter Ed certificate.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

There are AACFI classes just about every weekend for between $100 and $125...... These will get you a Utah permit and they cover the new WI law changes so they are considering it a WI training class also.

Last edited:

Mlutz

There are AACFI classes just about every weekend for between $100 and $125...... These will get you a Utah permit and they cover the new WI law changes so they are considering it a WI training class also.

They had better not be covering Wisconsin law. Unless they do that after the required 4 hour Utah course.