• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please help me understand reciprocity

cleveland

On November 1st when the bill goes into effect, can a WI resident with a permit from another state legally carry concealed?

1245A Defender

well,,,

Correct. Wi residents must have a wi permit. Stupid, right??

YES!!!! stupid,,,, not you,,, the state!
6 states now do not accept non resident permits, and many states, mine and yours, require us to have a permit from our home state.
i wish i was a traveler, just so i could come to wisconsin on 11-1-11, and conceal carry in your state before my good friend McX could,
I would go to coulvers and get a cheeseburger...
of course i would invite him,,, and i would buy his cheeseburger too, and we could both carry our imperial disruptors,,
he would have to OC, and I would OC too, so we match, but I would be legally concealing my yugo m-57 also...

Archangel

I'm probably going to get jumped on for this but hey it's just my opinion and I have been a victim of this process. When I moved from Wisconsin to Georgia, I had to apply for a Georgia permit once my residency changed. Before that I carried here with a non-resident Florida permit.

I have no problem with a state only accepting a home state permit from a person who resides in that state.

The reason they enforce that is there have been documented cases of folks who have had permits revoked for cause in their home state, applying for a permit from a state with reciprocity and then carrying.

I could name a guy who was banned from this site who got his permit revoked in his home state, and rightly so in my opinion.

Last edited:

xd40 neenah

So, another question. Is there any real reason to try and get a Utah or Florida non-resident permit for Wisconsin Residents now? Would it get me anything more than just having a Wisconsin permit?

Archangel

The Utah permit is valid in (if I recall correctly) the most amount of states. If you combine a permit or three from different states, you maximize the amount of states you can carry in.

JJC

So, another question. Is there any real reason to try and get a Utah or Florida non-resident permit for Wisconsin Residents now? Would it get me anything more than just having a Wisconsin permit?

It may get you a larger number of states to carry in. If you travel to those other states.

JMHO

As of yet, we have no Idea how many states are going to honor the Wisconsin Permit.

I for one and going to hang onto my utah, fl and other permits. I don't trust Wisconsin.

JJC

ManInBlack

I have no problem with a state only accepting a home state permit from a person who resides in that state.

The reason they enforce that is there have been documented cases of folks who have had permits revoked for cause in their home state, applying for a permit from a state with reciprocity and then carrying.

The reason they are doing it is collection of revenue. It has nothing to do with public safety.

However, what disturbs me more than your blind trust that the government has the best intentions of "its" citizens at heart is your acceptance of government's infringing on an unambiguous constitutional right by requiring a permit to carry concealed.

Namchief

Do we know for sure when they will release what states ccw Wisconsin will honor? Maybe they will not release that list till Jan 1 2012. Letting Wisconsin permit holders to be the first to conceal then other states. Also have not heard if Wisconsin is going to honor another states non residential permit as an example lets say I live in Illinois but have a MN non resident permit will WI honor that permit? Kind of what MI has in place. just a thought...... Iowa didnt honor anyone elses for 6-8 mths but theirs were honored in other states.

Archangel

The reason they are doing it is collection of revenue. It has nothing to do with public safety.

However, what disturbs me more than your blind trust that the government has the best intentions of "its" citizens at heart is your acceptance of government's infringing on an unambiguous constitutional right by requiring a permit to carry concealed.
I'm not saying anything like that. But if through negligence of criminal act a person's license is revoked by your home state, do you think it's right to allow somebody then go get a license from a state with reciprocity and then begin carrying again in their home state?

Revenue I understand. Personally I'm a constitutional carry kinda guy. But most states don't have that sort of system. So I am addressing the system we have in my state, and in Wisconsin.

If we had either:

A) Constitutional carry

or

b) Nationwide reciprocity

This would not be an issue, would it?

ManInBlack

I'm not saying anything like that. But if through negligence of criminal act a person's license is revoked by your home state, do you think it's right to allow somebody then go get a license from a state with reciprocity and then begin carrying again in their home state?

This is similar to my stance on convicted felons being deprived of their natural right to bear arms (among others). If a person has been adjudged to have committed an act so heinous that he poses an ongoing threat to society, that person should be executed or locked up until he no longer poses that threat. If and when he is released, it should be because he is ready to rejoin society as a full, free citizen. It is not possible for some citizens to be permitted to exercise their natural rights and other not, both walking the streets of a truly free society.

Mlutz

If you do not hold a valid permit for the state you are located in, and you enter a school zone, federal felony. Done. You wouldnt have to worry about gun laws ever again... So until the federal gfsz is gone... There will be problems...