• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

met state rep Overstreet at the range today

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was at the range today trying to keep up with what I open carry. A guy and his kid came in after we did and they were a bit shy on targets so I shared some of mine. More of his party showed up (seven were children)and it was explained to me jokingly that he was a celebrity of sorts. After we all shot for a while I asked him if he normally carries. He said no and mentioned "Those Starbucks People". I explained that I was an Open Carrier and he asked if I had bad reactions from citizens. After telling him of my one minor neg incident HR Overstreet told me an anecdotal story of a man OCing a shotgun he had just bought and was on his way home. LEO's proned him out and were difficult with the man. HR O insisted the man was 100% legal and seemed to support 2A. I left him with TWO Gun Rights brochures and invited him to the forum. It was nice to see these adults teaching children to respect and use firearms. Some of the kids were good shots too.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I was at the range today trying to keep up with what I open carry. A guy and his kid came in after we did and they were a bit shy on targets so I shared some of mine. More of his party showed up (seven were children)and it was explained to me jokingly that he was a celebrity of sorts. After we all shot for a while I asked him if he normally carries. He said no and mentioned "Those Starbucks People". I explained that I was an Open Carrier and he asked if I had bad reactions from citizens. After telling him of my one minor neg incident HR Overstreet told me an anecdotal story of a man OCing a shotgun he had just bought and was on his way home. LEO's proned him out and were difficult with the man. HR O insisted the man was 100% legal and seemed to support 2A. I left him with TWO Gun Rights brochures and invited him to the forum. It was nice to see these adults teaching children to respect and use firearms. Some of the kids were good shots too.

That's a pretty unique experience. Good to hear that he supports OC and the 2nd Amendment. Was he shooting handguns or rifles?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
He was shooting pistol. A .40 I believe. We spoke of open carry and the "unload it when you get in a vehicle" rule. HR O was not aware of this technicality, and we discussed the accident possibility with frequent handling. He, too, thought this was not conducive to safety and said he would "Look into this." I believe he is pro 2A, but uninformed of OCDO in general. Maybe he will visit the forum and meet his Armed Constituants. He's not a bad shot.

sudden valley gunner

He was shooting pistol. A .40 I believe. We spoke of open carry and the "unload it when you get in a vehicle" rule. HR O was not aware of this technicality, and we discussed the accident possibility with frequent handling. He, too, thought this was not conducive to safety and said he would "Look into this." I believe he is pro 2A, but uninformed of OCDO in general. Maybe he will visit the forum and meet his Armed Constituants. He's not a bad shot.

I say we have a Starbucks meet and invite him.

Jayd1981

Many of our state legislators are pro 2A. I had to write to my local legislators to get some help and state Senator Jerome Delvin had his staff assisting with my issue within a matter of days. If anyone is having problems with their cities or counties, don't hesitate to reach out and ask them for help. They may be more receptive than you think.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I say we have a Starbucks meet and invite him.
I will make the request and if we get a reply I will post.

He needs more information on the unsafe requirement to unload when entering a vehicle (no cpl). What recommendations can we give him from the people that do this every day.

sudden valley gunner

I will make the request and if we get a reply I will post.

He needs more information on the unsafe requirement to unload when entering a vehicle (no cpl). What recommendations can we give him from the people that do this every day.

I did this for a while before getting my CPL, something I didn't want to do but it just makes it easier for vehicle.

One thing to mention in addition to what you mentioned is that it could be construed by some overzealous cops and prosecutors as warranting alarm.

My suggestion is to make Washington law follow the model of a few other states that, our law in itself is our permit that covers vehicles and school zones.

tombrewster421

I did this for a while before getting my CPL, something I didn't want to do but it just makes it easier for vehicle.

One thing to mention in addition to what you mentioned is that it could be construed by some overzealous cops and prosecutors as warranting alarm.

My suggestion is to make Washington law follow the model of a few other states that, our law in itself is our permit that covers vehicles and school zones.

Just think of how it would look for someone carrying a revolver. Not as quick as just slamming in a magazine, especially if it's a Revolver that's not break open or where the cylinder pops out the side.

Trigger Dr

Imagine this....standing at a busy bus stop waiting to get to an important meeting. Bus puls up, you un-holster, unload, re-holster and board the bus. Wrer you doing the "legal" thing, did it cause or warrant alarm? will the police be waiting for you at th next stop?

amzbrady

Imagine this....standing at a busy bus stop waiting to get to an important meeting. Bus puls up, you un-holster, unload, re-holster and board the bus. Wrer you doing the "legal" thing, did it cause or warrant alarm? will the police be waiting for you at th next stop?

That actually is a very good question. Maybe one that should be more directed at our AG while he still is our AG.

sudden valley gunner

That's my point, I would say no, you were following the law, (if you had no CPL). And that without threats or anything else to point you purposely were doing something unsafe you are fine. But that is not how many police and prosecutors would view it. And since they have the power and money of the state behind them.....it may not end up well for said person in said scenario.