Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia's John Lott (More Guns, Less Crime) to debate Colin Goddard - 8/8/11@Noon

Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Virginia's John Lott (More Guns, Less Crime) to debate Colin Goddard - 8/8/11@Noon

On August 8th, Students for Concealed Carry are supposed to have a
    national convention in DC. The main liaison for the group dropped the ball and
    didn't do his job coordinating things. As a result, the convention is in
    desperate need to get a lot more bodies at the convention than we are currently
    looking to get. We should have at least 100 and we are at only about 40,
    and I am not completely sure that is for certain. Are there any college age
    or 20-something or even 30 something people who you know who could attend? At
    this point, we would be thrilled to get anyone of any age. Thanks very
    much for any help that you can provide.

National Convention for Students for Concealed Carry
    Where: National Press Club Ballroom
    When: noon until 4:30 PM, August 8th, 2011

Introductory remarks by Dan Crocker (SCC president) 5 minutes

Personal experiences panel -- Crime and College Campuses 25 minutes
    Amanda Carpenter (10-12 minutes)
    Nicole Goeser (10-12 minutes)

Debate 50 minutes
    Colin Goddard, Brady Campaign
    John Lott, author More Guns, Less Crime

Panel by academics 45 minutes
    Joyce Lee Malcolm at GMU (12 minutes)
    Bob Cottrol at GWU (12 minutes)
    Nelson Lund GMU (12 minutes)
    Questions from audience

Survey of Legal Issues 25 minutes
    Introduction by Alan Gottlieb (president of the SAF) (5 minutes)
    Alan Gura (20 minutes)

Legislative panel 45 minutes
    Senator Jeff Wentworth (Texas) (12 minutes)
    Rep. Evan Wynn (Wisconsin) (12 minutes)
    Rep. Erik Simpson (Idaho) (12 minutes)
    Questions from audience

Student Activism panel 25 minutes
    Clayton Smith from Tarrant County College
    Sara Adler from Connecticut

Student Lobbying Panel 30 minutes
    Adrienne O'Reilly from Oklahoma
    Blake Rupard from Texas
    Al Baker from Idaho

Awards to Outstanding Students 15 mintues
    Alan Gottlieb (president of the SAF)
    Dan Crocker (SCC president)

Closing remarks 5 minutes

Admission FREE but please let johnrlott@gmail.com know you are coming with a short e-mail (how many people)
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Sorry, Ed, but I made a promise never to enter DC for any reason until they got a working set of firearms laws there. And by working I mean one that does not require Olympic-caliber gymnastics to go through the hoops.

Thus, this perpetual student will not fill a seat in the audience.

I'm not going to whinge about the location of the event, because I've got a feeling young Mr. (apply that tone of voice used when addressing military officers as "Mister" instead of by their rank) Goddard would have refused to appear anywhere that would allow members of the audience to provide for their own protection.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member
    Like Skidmark I'll pass for the exact same reasons. Were it on our side of the Potomac and I'd certainly consider it.

Any idea if it is going to be recorded and maybe made available online? I would definitely be interested in hearing the debate. It will be a classic example of facts vs. fearmongering. Unfortunately, I can't make it to the event because it's the wife's birthday.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I would like to attend this event, but I will not be able to due to work and the fact that it is in DC. It's bad enough not being able to carry while in MD while going to or going home from work. I try to avoid setting foot in DC whenever possible.

Why is it in DC?

I am sorry but I will not go to a place that disarms people, like NY city or DC.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Why is it in DC?
    There are MANY things in DC that are beyond my control. This is one of them.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    There are MANY things in DC that are beyond my control. This is one of them.
    I think the question was directed more at the organizers than at you, Ed.

I understand that the National press Club is a prestegious locale for any event, and that hosting this event there has the possibility of drawing much more press coverage than if it was at the Motel 6 across the river in Virginia.

What you are hearing - from folks who are definarely not college-age and probably not currently enrolled even part-time - is that the decision on where to hold the event has consequences. Since you were the messenger that brought the news of the event, you got "elected" to bring the response back to those in charge.

I've sent my thoughts to SCC and Mr. Lott personally, so please do not feel like you need to fill that role for me.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I have to disarm to go on campus here. Students should be used to this...As if I'll ever get used to it.

Is the empty holster the official uniform for this meet same as the ones here on campus?

John Lott graciously responded to my email explaining why I would not be attending. He confirmed that the site was selected because of the hoped-for press coverage, and suggested that as I would not need to actually spend any money in DC I ought to attend despite my stated reservations.

I sincerely hope a large number of college-student age folks attend. I know that one olde phart in the back row might make the difference, but it's just not going to happen. It's a compromise I just am not willing to make. I hope Mr. Lott can understand that.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I would be interested in attending (and bringing my 11-year-old along to see the proceedings), but I am a bit far north to make it right now. Hopefully, someone records it and puts it online. Someone please post a link if that happens.

Founder's Club Member Grapeshot's Avatar
    Would greatly enjoy seeing/hearing John Lott devastate Colin Goddard. Unfortunately, the distance and location do not work out well for me either.

Hopefully the "debate" will be video recorded and posted here.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Is there any chance for live coverage of the event? Park in Virginia and take the Metro in to the National Press Club. I've done that several times. Of course you feel naked once you cross into D.C..

I'm goin.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

I'm goin.
    Recording?

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Recording?
    Probably.. depends on the logistics.. maybe audio, maybe video, probably BOTH.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Probably.. depends on the logistics.. maybe audio, maybe video, probably BOTH.
    Will look forward to it with not a little anticipation. We are well represented.

Yata hey

Dave Workman chimes in and sets the stage for this debate.
    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...alerts_article

Yata hey

It's a good thing to silence the barking of stupid dogs like Mr. Goddard, but stats don't matter to me. Rational people understand that legal access to self defense tools promotes peace. Ultimately, they can argue econometrics until they're blue. I don't care. What "gun control" comes down to is denying my rights. Actually, it comes down to some armed individuals (those who make laws and wear uniforms) telling others who don't wear uniforms they can't be armed. If you were marooned on an island with a cruise ship full of people and one family said "Only we can have weapons. You must first ask us permission if you want a weapon" everyone would laugh. I say bugger statistics.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

we'll be there

as much as I try to avoid DC like the plague, as a new (again) student this matter hits home for me and I feel like i should attend.

We'll be parking in VA and metroing in. Is anyone meeting before or after the event?

C-SPAN 3 TO AIR SAF CONCEALED CARRY FORUM LIVE

If you can't be at the National Press Club in Washington, DC on Monday August 8th you can still watchlivee on C-SPAN 3 at Noon Eastern Time!

You can also watch it online either live or archived at www.c-span.org or check your local cable company for repeat airings.

SAF, SCCC HOSTING ‘SUPPORTING CAMPUS CONCEALED CARRY’ FORUM AUGUST 8th
    The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), in cooperation with Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), is hosting a forum “Supporting Concealed Carry on Campus” on Monday, August 8th at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., Noon to 5 p.m.
    The forum is free and open to the public.
    This event will feature a Gun Free Zones debate between Colin Goddard of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and John Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime.
    An academic panel that includes Prof. Nelson Lund (George Mason University), Prof. Bob Cottrol (George Washington University) and Prof. Jim Purtilo*(University of Maryland) is also on the program.
    Another panel will discuss legislation supporting campus concealed carry. This panel includes Texas State Sen. Jeff Wentworth, Wisconsin Rep. Evan Wynn and Idaho Rep. Erik Simpson.
    Also appearing is Attorney Alan Gura, who successfully argued the cases of District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago resulting in* U.S. Supreme Court rulings that struck down the handgun ban in Washington, D.C. as a violation of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms and the handgun ban in Chicago by incorporating the Second Amendment to all fifty states through the Fourteenth Amendment.
    Student panels will discuss the campus concealed carry efforts as well as personal experiences of self-defense and crime on college campuses.
    Other speakers include SAF Founder Alan Gottlieb and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus President Dan Crocker.
    Last edited by John Canuck; 08-05-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Appreciate the link John C.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Will look forward to it with not a little anticipation. We are well represented.
    Second that, I'd love to watch it, or just hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    You can also watch it online either live or archived at www.c-span.org or check your local cable company for repeat airings.
    Do you have a direct link? My search came up empty.

Yata hey

Regular Member Maryland Shall Issue's Avatar
    Gotta check the schedule here at the homestead for tomorrow, but might be able to make it for at least part of the day.
    Last edited by Maryland Shall Issue; 08-07-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast