• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia's John Lott (More Guns, Less Crime) to debate Colin Goddard - 8/8/11@Noon

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
On August 8th, Students for Concealed Carry are supposed to have a
national convention in DC. The main liaison for the group dropped the ball and
didn't do his job coordinating things. As a result, the convention is in
desperate need to get a lot more bodies at the convention than we are currently
looking to get. We should have at least 100 and we are at only about 40,
and I am not completely sure that is for certain. Are there any college age
or 20-something or even 30 something people who you know who could attend? At
this point, we would be thrilled to get anyone of any age. Thanks very
much for any help that you can provide.

National Convention for Students for Concealed Carry
Where: National Press Club Ballroom
When: noon until 4:30 PM, August 8th, 2011

Introductory remarks by Dan Crocker (SCC president) 5 minutes

Personal experiences panel -- Crime and College Campuses 25 minutes
Amanda Carpenter (10-12 minutes)
Nicole Goeser (10-12 minutes)

Debate 50 minutes
Colin Goddard, Brady Campaign
John Lott, author More Guns, Less Crime

Panel by academics 45 minutes
Joyce Lee Malcolm at GMU (12 minutes)
Bob Cottrol at GWU (12 minutes)
Nelson Lund GMU (12 minutes)
Questions from audience

Survey of Legal Issues 25 minutes
Introduction by Alan Gottlieb (president of the SAF) (5 minutes)
Alan Gura (20 minutes)

Legislative panel 45 minutes
Senator Jeff Wentworth (Texas) (12 minutes)
Rep. Evan Wynn (Wisconsin) (12 minutes)
Rep. Erik Simpson (Idaho) (12 minutes)
Questions from audience

Student Activism panel 25 minutes
Clayton Smith from Tarrant County College
Sara Adler from Connecticut

Student Lobbying Panel 30 minutes
Adrienne O'Reilly from Oklahoma
Blake Rupard from Texas
Al Baker from Idaho

Awards to Outstanding Students 15 mintues
Alan Gottlieb (president of the SAF)
Dan Crocker (SCC president)

Closing remarks 5 minutes

Admission FREE but please let johnrlott@gmail.com know you are coming with a short e-mail (how many people)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry, Ed, but I made a promise never to enter DC for any reason until they got a working set of firearms laws there. And by working I mean one that does not require Olympic-caliber gymnastics to go through the hoops.

Thus, this perpetual student will not fill a seat in the audience.

I'm not going to whinge about the location of the event, because I've got a feeling young Mr. (apply that tone of voice used when addressing military officers as "Mister" instead of by their rank) Goddard would have refused to appear anywhere that would allow members of the audience to provide for their own protection.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Any idea if it is going to be recorded and maybe made available online? I would definitely be interested in hearing the debate. It will be a classic example of facts vs. fearmongering. Unfortunately, I can't make it to the event because it's the wife's birthday.

FFchris

I would like to attend this event, but I will not be able to due to work and the fact that it is in DC. It's bad enough not being able to carry while in MD while going to or going home from work. I try to avoid setting foot in DC whenever possible.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are MANY things in DC that are beyond my control. This is one of them.

I think the question was directed more at the organizers than at you, Ed.

I understand that the National press Club is a prestegious locale for any event, and that hosting this event there has the possibility of drawing much more press coverage than if it was at the Motel 6 across the river in Virginia.

What you are hearing - from folks who are definarely not college-age and probably not currently enrolled even part-time - is that the decision on where to hold the event has consequences. Since you were the messenger that brought the news of the event, you got "elected" to bring the response back to those in charge.

I've sent my thoughts to SCC and Mr. Lott personally, so please do not feel like you need to fill that role for me.

stay safe.

JamesB

I have to disarm to go on campus here. Students should be used to this...As if I'll ever get used to it.

Is the empty holster the official uniform for this meet same as the ones here on campus?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
John Lott graciously responded to my email explaining why I would not be attending. He confirmed that the site was selected because of the hoped-for press coverage, and suggested that as I would not need to actually spend any money in DC I ought to attend despite my stated reservations.

I sincerely hope a large number of college-student age folks attend. I know that one olde phart in the back row might make the difference, but it's just not going to happen. It's a compromise I just am not willing to make. I hope Mr. Lott can understand that.

stay safe.

Riana

I would be interested in attending (and bringing my 11-year-old along to see the proceedings), but I am a bit far north to make it right now. Hopefully, someone records it and puts it online. Someone please post a link if that happens.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would greatly enjoy seeing/hearing John Lott devastate Colin Goddard. Unfortunately, the distance and location do not work out well for me either. :(

Hopefully the "debate" will be video recorded and posted here.

kenny

Is there any chance for live coverage of the event? Park in Virginia and take the Metro in to the National Press Club. I've done that several times. Of course you feel naked once you cross into D.C..

77zach

It's a good thing to silence the barking of stupid dogs like Mr. Goddard, but stats don't matter to me. Rational people understand that legal access to self defense tools promotes peace. Ultimately, they can argue econometrics until they're blue. I don't care. What "gun control" comes down to is denying my rights. Actually, it comes down to some armed individuals (those who make laws and wear uniforms) telling others who don't wear uniforms they can't be armed. If you were marooned on an island with a cruise ship full of people and one family said "Only we can have weapons. You must first ask us permission if you want a weapon" everyone would laugh. I say bugger statistics.

Harper1227

we'll be there

as much as I try to avoid DC like the plague, as a new (again) student this matter hits home for me and I feel like i should attend.

We'll be parking in VA and metroing in. Is anyone meeting before or after the event?