• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One shot with a .22, that's pretty impressive shot placement......

sidestreet

The Sheriff said...,

this was an unfortunate situation where the victim feared for her life and defended herself.

I'd say it was damned fortunate for all of us that she had an employer that allowed her to have a gun on her, that she took advantage of that situation, and met the threat with an immediate, proper and effective response.

Dear God, may it ever be so!!!

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

SFCRetired

I was told many, many years ago that a .22 was one of the most dangerous rounds to get shot with. There were two reasons given; it tends to bounce around inside and it is, according to a doctor I knew, an absolute (female canine) to properly clean.

I just hope this lady is able to put this behind her.

Anyone for a fund to get her a larger caliber weapon?

bomber

but but but wait, I thought only retards and sissies carry a .22 for SD.

a gun is a gun is a gun.

Dreamer

This news story is obviously a made-up fabrication, because everyone KNOWS that the .22 is not an effective self-defense round....

<sarcasm OFF>

Goes to show, what I've been saying all along is 100% true.

All the "caliber queens" can kiss this woman's ass--it's ALL about shot placement...

Michigander

All the "caliber queens" can kiss this woman's ass--it's ALL about shot placement...

There isn't much information about how fast the bad guy went down. My guess is that he panicked and started worrying uselessly about trying to save his life after he got shot. Unless he got shot in the spine, there is just about no way at all that he couldn't have spent his last seconds stabbing this woman to death.

There is an enormous difference between instant incapacitation and eventual death, and while shot placement is everything, bigger calibers increase the options dramatically. Snub nosed .22 LR's and Magnums, as well as .25 Auto's of a very small size, such as Baby Brownings, will all as a rule have a very hard time penetrating a human skull even with the fastest available ball ammo. The light weight and low velocity make everything other than neck, ear and eye shots a matter solely of luck. Anyone who doesn't believe this I strongly encourage to do their own research.

An attacker may be scared off by the sight of a gun, he may be panicked if you shoot him and he starts worrying about trying to save himself, and he may even die rapidly if you're an expert shooter who nails him several times in the neck with a NAA Mini. But at the end of the day, .32 ACP and FMJ's is about the smallest and lowest in power you can go and hope to have reliable enough performance to incapacitate with any neck and head shots.

Last edited:

hermannr

Look at it this way. This big guy has the woman down. and he is above her. he puts his knife away because he feels his sheer physical size will keep her under control.

She has a little 22lr stubby in her pocket. She pulls it out and pushes the barrel into mr bigs sturnum. (you know, the little place just below the breastbone, and probably the only place she can get it to being pinned under his weight?)

There is no bone between that .22 and 1: the heart, and behind the heart, the spine. Yes, I am fairly sure that a .22 would not exit the spine, but it does not have to, 1/2 way is plenty for perminent lights out for mr bad guy. Think of the angles involved, organ placement etc...I'll bet mr BG never knew what hit him.

Last edited:

hermannr

Look at it this way. This big guy has the woman down. and he is above her. he puts his knife away because he feels his sheer physical size will keep her under control.

She has a little 22lr stubby in her pocket. She pulls it out and pushes the barrel into mr bigs sturnum. (you know, the little place just below the brestbone, and probably the only place she can get it to being pinned under his weight?)

There is no bone between that .22 and 1: the heart, and behind the heart, 2: the spine. Yes, I am fairly sure that a .22 would not exit the spine, but it does not have to, 1/2 way is plenty for perminent lights out for mr bad guy. Think of the angles involved, organ placement etc...I'll bet mr BG never knew what hit him.

Last edited:

MarkD51

Sherrif Lott got his public response way off base!

He said this was "an unfortunate incident". No it wasn't, it was a very "fortunate" incident, where the victim was able to fend off some POS thug attacker, that he's now resting exactly where he belongs, six foot down, looking up.

It's long overdue, where a mayor of such a town, grow a pair, commend, and thank the woman for doing the right thing.
If I was that mayor, I'd dip into the city's kitty, and do whatver it takes to show appreciation to a person who has ridden the world of some POS sub human, who would've no doubt went on past this, to abduct, and harm many more people.

Thank you Mam! You're a hero in my eyes!

Last edited:

MarkD51

As for .22's, don't underestimate such a caliber. Close up, they'll do plenty of damage. Would you like getting hit with one right between the eyes? Or how about the chest-heart area, were that bastard bounces from your chest, to your pubes, to your shoulders, and back?

Michigander

As for .22's, don't underestimate such a caliber. Close up, they'll do plenty of damage. Would you like getting hit with one right between the eyes? Or how about the chest-heart area, were that bastard bounces from your chest, to your pubes, to your shoulders, and back?

Between the eyes, from a super short snubbie, your odds of survival would be pretty good actually. I imagine it wouldn't be fun at all, but you'd probably survive and have a nasty little scar. Maybe not, but it's likely. We're talking about a relatively thick sheet of bone and a very small bullet going at a very slow speed, essentially performing like a moderately powered adult air rifle.

Soft tissue is another matter. Here the 20 something mouse guns will penetrate well enough, and even cause death. But with a little luck and intervention from surgeons, lethality still might be lacking. 5 or 6 shots to the guts, given good placement would probably kill someone despite potential surgical intervention, but speed of incapacitation would still be almost non existent. As an assassination technique it could work well enough, as a self defense system it is nearly worthless if an attacker is truly determined to kill the defender. You need to stop a threat, not anger it and cause death hours or days later.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Fill up a gallon jug of water. Now stab it with a pin. Yup, eventually it will completely drain out... Now fill up another gallon jug of water, SMASH IT WITH A F#^*ING BOWLING BALL....

Ladies and gentlemen, the .22 vs larger caliber debate.

ColeMD17

There is an enormous difference between instant incapacitation and eventual death, and while shot placement is everything, bigger calibers increase the options dramatically. Snub nosed .22 LR's and Magnums, as well as .25 Auto's of a very small size, such as Baby Brownings, will all as a rule have a very hard time penetrating a human skull even with the fastest available ball ammo. The light weight and low velocity make everything other than neck, ear and eye shots a matter solely of luck. Anyone who doesn't believe this I strongly encourage to do their own research.

I personally knew two men who would beg to differ. One's 6 feet underground with a .22 hole in the back of his head and the other has about 13 years left on his sentence. I consider my own research done.

of course, I realize that, as far as you're concerned, I'm just another guy on the internet.

Last edited:

bomber

godd*** you people love to argue.

do you guys argue like this in real life with people in the break room?

okboomer

godd*** you people love to argue.

do you guys argue like this in real life with people in the break room?

Well, bomber, I look at it this way, there are some folks in this forum that have a lot of experience, and there are some who don't have a lot of experience yet and sometimes that shows :lol:

For example, those of us who remember the NYC Mafia and the murders they committed (1970s-1980s) realize that a .22 was the caliber of choice for them because the .22 round had enough power to enter the skull, but not enough to exit the skull which caused the riccochet to swiss cheese the brain. (Wasn't Serpico shot with a .22 or a .32?)

And some, no matter what their experience just have to 'stir the pot'