• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Morning, Everyone!!

DooFster

Hey all,

The family and I will be making our way to Nellis AFB on orders and I would like to know anything and EVERYTHING regarding OC'ing here in NV. We're moving from California, so having to holster, then "de-holster", then holster back up when we're driving through school zones is VERY common. GFSZ's are EVERYWHERE in CA and CA has the "1500-foot" rule for GFSZ's. So what can you all tell me? I read up on the PDF file that was put up but I'm not good at reading legal jargon.

My family and I should be there sometime in the first or 2nd week of December, so any and all information would be AWESOME!! Also, feel free to text me at ANY time. If I don't respond right away (which I usually do), then I'm either working on the job site or I'm doing something important (giggity).

Tim Chilson
AKA - "The DooFster"
(231) 629-1869

Sabotage70

The state doesn't have any laws on the GFSZ but of course there is the fed law. And rumor has it metro doesn't mess with that. Get a CCW and you won't have to worry at all, just don't go on school grounds. You can OC in and out of you car without have to unholster and reholster your sidearm.

Technically Nellis isn't in North Las Vegas. It's a mile or two from the city limits. But if you want to live anywhere nice or halfway decent. You will have to travel through or even live in NLV. Most of the neighborhood around the base are sh!tholes. There are some nice neighborhoods south of the base close to the Mormon temple with great views of the city. Northtown(downtown NLV) is a sh!thole. But if you go to the north end of NLV it's not bad at all. Just go north of Ann Road.

Just keep checking in and go through some of the old threads. I don't know if these or the PDF's that your talking about, but you should check this thread out. It is a little easier to read than going through all the NRS's.

Once you do get up here, it would be nice to see you at one of the meet-up's.

The Big Guy

Check out this thread and get involved. It concerns getting rid of GFSZ.

Citizens Protection Act of 2011, H.R. 2613

TBG

DooFster

Now another dumb question: ...Loaded? Unloaded? What is allowed? CA doesn't allow loaded, but you can have mags at-the-ready in the holster and/or on your person, but not in your pocket, and not in the mag-well.

Sabotage70

Now another dumb question: ...Loaded? Unloaded? What is allowed? CA doesn't allow loaded, but you can have mags at-the-ready in the holster and/or on your person, but not in your pocket, and not in the mag-well.

No paperweight carry here. Fully loaded with one in the pipe. As long as it's not concealed on your person. And if they make Hi-cap mags for your firearms, gett'em.

DooFster

Wooo! You just MADE MY DAY, Sabotage! I have a fully-ready-to-go Jennings Nine 9mm (yeah, cheap gun, but I got it when I was 18 for my birthday) with 12-round mags. You have NO CLUE how much better you made me feel! How easy is it to get a CCW there??

Sabotage70

Wooo! You just MADE MY DAY, Sabotage! I have a fully-ready-to-go Jennings Nine 9mm (yeah, cheap gun, but I got it when I was 18 for my birthday) with 12-round mags. You have NO CLUE how much better you made me feel! How easy is it to get a CCW there??

I noticed you have a XDm in your AV. Awesome gun. Love my and just about everyone that shoots it likes it too. When I take my kids shooting they won't put the damn thing down. The last time I went out, towards the end I went to shoot it and all my ammo was gone. :mad:

As far as the CCW goes it's very easy. Take an 8 hour class, only need to bring one wheelgun for your revolver auth. and one semi auto for your semi auth. Turnaround is between 30 and 45 days once you turn in your paperwork.

You might want to check out Nevada Shooters Many of the members in the Nevada section are also members their. They will point out what gun shops you might want to avoid, where to shoot at, and just lots of general info.

DooFster

I want and XDM SOOOOOOOO badly, but I don't want to pay the $500+ for it... OK - thanks for the advice! I will be sure to hit you up when I get into town!

28kfps

Welcome to the United States. Your questions are for the most part typical of those that transplant from the republic of commufornia. You will have the advantage to travel Nevada, Utah, Arizona open carrying. Do get a CCW gives more options to be legally armed.

28kfps

WOW... Never heard the state called that before. ...and I like the way you put it!

Are you living off base? I have no first hand knowledge however there was a past poster living on base and having a problem with storing his firearm. I cannot remember the details however, I believe the on base storage options was a real pain and not user friendly.

Last edited:

Swifty

Hey DooFster, welcome to he forums. Wealth of information here. I work at Nellis and just went thru everything your asking/wondering about. PM me on here and I'll help you out any way I can.

We-the-People

WOW... Never heard the state called that before. ...and I like the way you put it!

You're kidding right? Commiefornia, Kommifornia, Pepoles Republik of Kalifornia (PRK) etc.

I'm in Oregon and I'm a political refugee from the PRK, happy to be living in the United States instead of that country.