• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Permit Class in S.E. WI. for $60.00

Outdoorsman1

Ok, first let me say I have no affiliation at all with this group. On the way to work this morning, Kenosha radio station WLIP (AM) did an interview with these guy's....

http://www.armedcitizentraining.us/

They seemed on the up and up... They are ex-militay and NRA certified, They also mention that the hunters safety class would qualify as well as military training. They also touched on open carry and constitutional carry and said they were ok with both as well as being aware of some trainers making claims that might not be true. They really did sound ok to me. If I had not already taken the Utah class I would take their class. With the WLIP discount thing, the price seems right.

They will be holding a class in Sturtevant WI. (just west of Racine) the first week in Aug. They said that if you mention WLIP and the interview you can get the Utah Sate Permit class for $60.00 Registraion is available at the link above (right hand column).

Like I said. I have no affiliation with this group at all, just trying to pass on what I feel is a good opportunity.

Outdoorsman1

Edited To Add: Here is their calendar..More Classes Different Locations....

http://www.armedcitizentraining.us/schedule.htm

Last edited:

Glockface

Thanks for this info, i'm going to take the WI.Ut course with a guy from work at the brookfield hotel.
$80 so it's not too bad.I still haven't figured out if my DD214 honorable discharge is good enough without
small arms or anything else not written on it.This way i'll just send this course in for my permit.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Thanks for this info, i'm going to take the WI.Ut course with a guy from work at the brookfield hotel.
$80 so it's not too bad.I still haven't figured out if my DD214 honorable discharge is good enough without
small arms or anything else not written on it.This way i'll just send this course in for my permit.

Yes your DD214 honorable discharge will be good enough...

It has been specifically discussed in here a few times... Also read here...

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/concealedcarry/ccw_frequently_asked_questions.pdf

C. Training requirement
What kind of training is required to get a license?
In an application for a license, an individual must include proof of having received firearm training. The proof of training requirement may be met by any of the following:
A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an instructor or organization that conducted the course or program, that indicates that the individual completed any of the following (but see note below):
 The hunter education program established by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) or a substantially similar program that is established by another state, country, or province and that is recognized by DNR.
• A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors.
• A firearms safety or training course that is available to the public and is offered by a law enforcement agency
• A firearms safety or training course that is taught by an instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or by an instructor certified by DOJ, and that is available to the public and offered by any of the following: a technical college, a college or university, a private or public institution or organization, or a firearms training school.
• A firearms safety or training course that is offered to law enforcement officers or to owners and employees of licensed private detective and security agencies.
• A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a firearms instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or who is certified by DOJ.
Documentation that the individual completed military, law enforcement, or security training that gave the individual experience with firearms that is substantially equivalent to a course or program described above.A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license, that the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county or
CCW FAQ 08/01/11
- 8 -
municipality of this state or of another state unless the license has been revoked for cause.
Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the U.S. armed forces as demonstrated by an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions or a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and certification.Wis. Stat. § 175.60(4)(a).IMPORTANT NOTE: DOJ is currently in the rule-making process and is evaluating what information will be required on the certificate to substantiate proof of training. We will not have specifics until the rule-making process is complete.
Is it unlawful for firearms instructors to provide false information?
Yes. A firearms instructor who intentionally submits false documentation indicating that a person has met the CCW training requirements is guilty of a crime and may be prosecuted under Wis. Stat. § 946.32 (false swearing). Wis. Stat. § 175.60(17)(c).
Does a trainer have any legal liability or responsibility for the conduct of persons provided training?
Under the statute a person providing training in good faith is immune from liability arising from any act or omission related to the course if the course is one listed under the statute. Wis. Stat. § 175.60(21)(d); Wis. Stat. § 175.49(6).
However, there may be circumstances where such liability may exist and a discussion of such situations is beyond the scope of this brief legal summary.
Does DOJ certify instructors?
DOJ will only be certifying law enforcement officers as instructors. It will not be certifying civilian instructors.
Those persons certified by DOJ must also comply with the DOJ approved training program.
Does DOJ provide training for instructors or students?
No. While DOJ may certify instructors and develop a suggested curriculum, it will not directly provide training.
Does DOJ have a recommended firearms training course?
DOJ will develop a suggested concealed weapons training course to the extent possible under its statutory authority. The program is not required for programs not conducted by DOJ certified instructors.
Will an on-line training course satisfy the requirements to obtain a concealed carry permit?
The Department

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Yes, DD214 Honorable Discharge Meets The Wisconsin Training Requirement....

As Outdoorsman1 said it does meet the training requirement. I think it is still a good idea to get more training on your own which specifically covers Wisconsin law (or Utah law if getting a Utah license). More training never hurt anyone as long as it isn't "forced training".

Packfanatic

Dd214

""with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and certification.""

well i was in in 69-70 and honorably discharged but there is no mention of small arms training on my DD214. come to find out back 30 plus years and more they never put that on the discharge . i did not qualify Expert nor marksmak, the POS M1911A1 i used had to have been one that you actually throw at the enemy lol! ah well...

jpm84092

As WI rates go, $60 for the UT course is pretty good.

For those who do not make the $60 class, I will be back with my reduced rate classes before the WI Law takes effect. It may be during Labor Day weekend or one month later at the end of September. I am working on that.

MKEgal

Packfanatic said:
""with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and certification.""
well i was in in 69-70 and honorably discharged but there is no mention of small arms training on my DD214.
Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the U.S. armed forces as demonstrated by an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions...
Since you were honorably discharged, you're good to go.

Glockface

I used code ACT1 to get $20 off.I talked to Andrew and he signed me up.Seemed like a nice guy on the phone.My friend also signed up.Anyone else want to go?Were going Aug-24 brookfield 6-10pm.

Firearms Iinstuctor

With the new changes in the Utah law i wounder if a class taught out of the state of Utah is vaild to get a permit there anymore. Also the new Utah law states you have to allready have a permit from your home state.

jpm84092

UT Permit still makes sense

With the new changes in the Utah law i wounder if a class taught out of the state of Utah is vaild to get a permit there anymore. Also the new Utah law states you have to allready have a permit from your home state.

Utah will accept applications from Wisconsin residents that arrive at BCI on or before October 31, 2011. Any application from a Wisconsin resident that arrives at BCI on or after November 1, 2011 will have to be accompanied by a copy of a WI permit. Any Wisconsin resident currently holding a UT permit who wishes to renew the UT permit on or after November 1, 2011 must submit a copy of his/her WI permit with the UT renewal application along with the $15 renewal fee. (Please note that this is contingent on WI recognizing the UT permit. UT only requires a home-state permit from residents whose state honors a UT permit and the state is "shall issue".)

Any UT Concealed Firearm Permit Class taught any where by any BCI Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor meets the requirement for a UT Permit, provided the UT specified course is followed..

The UT Permit still makes sense for WI residents. Due to the rather "streamlined" training requirement for a WI permit, it is not at all clear that MN will honor WI permits.

Carry on...