• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic in Newport News - Sept 10th, 2011

6L6GC

Thanks, I appreciate the help

Ron

I think I have it up to date for now.

John

shelter reservation: Ron Lilly
hot dogs: 2a4all
hot dog buns: Jim Prince
hamburger: Skidmark
hamburger buns: Skidmark
ketchup: t33j
mustard: t33j
relish: Michael Bloomburg
chili:
lettuce:kimbercarrier
paper plates: Ron and Jean Hyson
cups: Grapeshot
charcoal: Wolf_Shadow
beans: Wolf_Shadow
mac salad:
3-bean salad: Old virginia joe & crew (5)
potato salad: Dreghorn
chips:kimbercarrier
sodas: Grapeshot
bottled water: Apollosmom
ice: MSC 45ACP
cake:
Brownies: Quiet Carry
pie:
diet sodas: Grapeshot
napkins: Ron and Jean Hyson
plastic forks/knives/spoons: Ron and Jean Hyson
potato chips: ODA 226
charcoal starter: Skidmark

I guess I'll add my name to the list for chili and cake, and I guess I'd better bring some napkins too.

thanks again.
roN

6L6GC

updated list on Thursday morning:

chili: Ron Lilly
mac salad:
cake: Ron Lilly
pie: DJEEPER (apple of course, plus some others if possible)

I was going to add my name to the list for napkins but I see that Jean is bringing those. If anyone else knows of something I left off of the list just add that item and your name. Thanks again to all.

NOTE: Congressman Wittman's office called and said that he plans to come to the picnic too!! That's great. I look forward to meeting him again and see what he has to say. None of the others responded to my invitation. Brenda Pogge has a prior commitment and can't make it. The others just never responded. Calling J. Miller...... where are you J Miller (alleged supporter of gun owner's rights)

roN

HKshooter

Cucumber salad?

chili: Ron Lilly
mac salad:
cake: Ron Lilly
pie: DJEEPER (apple of course, plus some others if possible)
cucumber salad: HKShooter

Which shelter?

Jessejames61

Ok Thanks for clearing that up I was going off the opencarry.org site but after seeing your post I rechecked at the VCDL and it shows that is is legal to open carry. Thanks again and I really hope I get a chance to come out to this. Just depends on if I have work or not.

Old Virginia Joe

So, do we know approximately how many people are coming to this event? How do we know how much stuff to bring? I put (5) down on my RSVP, but it seems not to be needed info?

6L6GC

open carry legal at the picnic

Ok so I'm new and somewhat confused on the whole picnic deal. Can you open carry in the park cause I thought that was against law? Or is this not a state park? TIA

Jesse

yes, open carry will be legal at this picnic. This is a city park, not a state park. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that open carry is also legal in state parks as well. At any rate, this is a Newport News city park. I've been hosting picnics here for a few years now and we have never had any problems so far. The first couple years the NPN cops loitered close by and kept their beady little eyes on us, but that's all. I have heard that a "park ranger" guy tried to get testy with one of the attendees but quickly backed down when the citizen called his bluff.

roN

6L6GC

I can never tell

So, do we know approximately how many people are coming to this event? How do we know how much stuff to bring? I put (5) down on my RSVP, but it seems not to be needed info?

how many is going to show up. In the early years I'd try to keep count so I'd know how many would be there but every time my highly scientifical, methodized, estimate was WAY off so I don't even bother any more. My official estimate for the number of attendees this time is: a lot :)
roN

Epicyon

I can make it.

I'm new here but I've helped Ron and Ron out at several gun shows in the past.

What else is needed?

More hamburgers maybe?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Just got back into town late last night. Wasn't sure I'd be back in time, but I am, so my son & I will be there.

Don't see and major gaps in the list... I'll bring more bottled water and sodas I guess.

Mark

45acpForMe

Short but Sweet

It was a nice picnic, I had to drop off the hotdog buns then go pickup my daughter and come back only to leave an hour later.

I was able to talk to a few old friends and see a few new people. Hope to see some again in Surry Tuesday.

I was able to talk a bit with Congressman Wittman and he has potential to be a great representative if he leans toward Ron Paul a bit more. I layed into him for voting for the debt ceiling increase and how it was an opportunity missed by republicans to stop the spending now rather than wait until 2012 and 2 trillion dollars later. I am happy to have him as my representative but there is room for improvement.

Philip as always was great to hear from. This next legislative session (after elections) could be a great one.

Sorry I couldn't stay longer. I wanted to stop by and say hi to Bubba Ron and Jean but my kids were itching to leave and you were already engaged in another conversation. Also meant to talk a bit more with Wolf_shadow and ODA 226 a bit more but maybe at a future dinner. And ODA 226 I have a laser available if you really want one on your gun! ;-)