• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three separate shootings in the Springs last night.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
That sure doesn't sound like an average night in the Springs! Wow, a regular crime spree happening down there.

Hope these incidents end up with responsible parties dealt with appropriately!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

Latest updates say that a SWAT team has been deployed on the south side of town with a lead to the Autozone bad guy.

Btw, don't bother leaving comments with KKTV. They censor the responses to the articles and must have someone who isn't exactly pro-gun on staff. I have about a 50% success rate of getting my comments posted and it's not because I'm failing to be "clean, truthful, on topic or responsible," which is their only listed requirement for comments. I spent about 15 minutes this morning writing a good comment to help raise OC awareness in reference to these shootings, and tried posting it twice, just to be shutdown both times (comment below)

"This comment is not meant for those who are rabidly anti-gun. You’ve already made your choice not to protect your family and loved ones, and that’s perfectly fine. It’s not meant for those who are avid gun fanatics. You’ve made your choices as well. This is specifically directed at those people who were truly afraid in their homes last night (like some of the comments already posted here.) This is for the ones who might be on the fence about this whole self-defense issue. While I certainly don’t disagree with the posters stating that people should be running out to get their Concealed Carry Permits, let’s not forget that Colorado is a Right-to-Carry state. If you can legally own a handgun, you can carry it with you, whether at home, in your car or just walking down the street. Pretty much without exception, unless there is a No Firearms sign posted, you are welcome to openly carry a firearm there.

Open carry is NOT something you need a permit for. This is a right detailed in both the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution and again in Article 2 of the Colorado Constitution, specifically, sections 3 and 13. Bear in mind, the process to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit in El Paso County can take over 90 days, start to finish and will cost a few hundred dollars. No one should have to wait to protect themselves and their families. That said, I certainly don’t encourage un-trained individuals to run around with weapons they barely know how to use. However, firearms proficiency and safety are NOT mythical skill sets that require a lifetime of training or entrance to a police academy or branch of military service in order to achieve. Self-defense and pistol classes are always good, and so is just spending time at the range getting to know your weapon of choice. Remember, people, you have the RIGHT to arm and defend yourself, and a right not used is a right wasted.

One further note as a small aside to the people who choose to depend on the police as their first and only line of defense against the bad guys; no matter how fast police response time is, unless you live in the station, they likely won’t get there in time to stop an actual threat on your life. The police are reactive, not proactive, and this is a good thing. We don’t want to live in a society where the police can simply detain and question you without any evidence of wrongdoing. A reactive police force means that there must be a reasonable suspicion that you’ve done something wrong before you can be arrested. Again, this is a GOOD thing for honest, law-abiding citizens.

For a concluding thought, it is important to know, that the police have no duty whatsoever to protect the individual. Warren v. District of Columbia is the key judgment to support this, but you can also reference Hartzler v. City of San Jose, Riss v. New York, DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, Balistreri v. Pacifica Police Department and many others. These decisions basically mean that even if an officer is standing outside your home while a violent home intruder is trying to gain entrance, he can’t be held legally responsible if he just stands there and does nothing. Now, I’m certainly not suggesting that this is going to happen to any of you here, but it’s important to bear in mind exactly what role law enforcement plays in keeping you safe. You are only as safe as you make yourself. For further information, visit sites like RMGo_Org or opencarry.org"

Badger Johnson

I think people who are on the fence as to carrying a HG were pushed over the line by the incident in Norway and other things like home invasions. My partner who had slacked off a little on carrying (since I always do) is now re-dedicated to it.

I hope the over-all effect is that more citizens will arm themselves.

DinFreemont

What is amasing are all the comments about how “cutting the taxes” for police is the cause and we need more police...

When is everyone going to understand self-defense does not include 24-7 police service for every person - the implication of more police encroachment is also not a positive thing - “state police" anyone?

Polynikes

What is amasing are all the comments about how “cutting the taxes” for police is the cause and we need more police...

When is everyone going to understand self-defense does not include 24-7 police service for every person - the implication of more police encroachment is also not a positive thing - “state police" anyone?

I find it interesting that those who cry the loudest for more police are usually not the victims. The victims who survive their violent encounters are usually the ones buying a gun the next day. They realize that no one was there to help them when they needed it, and that that their life is their own responsibility. It's just a shame that it takes a negative experience to open their eyes, instead of them seeing the common sense of preparing for a threat in advance.

Polynikes

since9

Campaign Veteran
SWAT surrounded an address roughly one mile from where I live today. Apparently they'd cornered the Mira Loma shooter in his apartment. After a stand off lasting several hours they entered to find that the suspect had apparently committed suicide. In my opinion, a very tragic end to an already tragic story. Four young lives wasted and three sets of grieving parents, and for what?

I take it as a reminder that while we live in a fairly nice city, crime-wise, it's still a city full of human beings, some of which are nicer than others. It's because of the "others" that I carry.

I hope some folks here in the Springs takes it as a wake-up call and they seek training and armament against these criminal/insanity elements.

PikesPeakMtnMan

I was listening to the standoff online, almost all 4 hours of it....I agree though, tragic situation for everyone involved though I'm certainly not shedding any tears for Arangio, the justice he's facing now is much more complete and fair than anything our court system would do.

Beau

Lack of police presence seems to always get blamed right next to the "it's the guns fault crowd". Both crowds seem to feel that they have no responsibility to themselves their children or their community.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Lack of police presence seems to always get blamed right next to the "it's the guns fault crowd". Both crowds seem to feel that they have no responsibility to themselves their children or their community.

Aye, there's the rub. It's those who take responsibility for their own personal safety, as well as that of their families others nearby that make the difference between a healthy society and an entitlement society that views police protection as a "right" as opposed to what it really is: backup and deterrence.

The key takeaway from this is that crime is real, and those who don't protect themselves are targeted to become victims.

Last edited: