• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you open carry?

Fallschirjmäger

Generally, I just make sure my face is washed and that I'm wearing clothes. If I have pants on, it's a pretty sure bet I'm armed, and most of the time it's openly carried.

I don't carry "identification", unless I'm going somewhere I know it's going to be needed, and I haven't had any surprise identification needs in almost two years. If I do need identification, such as at a bank for a withdrawal, I'll take my driving license out of the sun visor where it stays. My wallet carries an ATM card and my Georgia Weapon's License... and maybe my library card. If I'm at work I have identification on a neck lanyard and that stays in the car when I'm not on company grounds.

Method of carry is usually a Serpa for open carry, or if I'm being discreet I'll use a Glock brand concealment holster. It's ugly, but it works. I've had people ask me if I'm in law enforcement which usually just makes me wonder why they'd think an overweight, out of shape old guy is a cop. I just tell them the truth, "I'm an independent contractor" and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Wolfgang1952

This is how I normally dress, Blue jeans, T shirt, Cowboy Boots and my Western Tie down. And this is my normal mode of transportation my motorcycle.

007a1.jpg

I have had more people complement me on my Tool Belt. I’ve also had St Tammany Deps say they wish more people would Open Carry.

OldCurlyWolf

This is how I normally dress, Blue jeans, T shirt, Cowboy Boots and my Western Tie down. And this is my normal mode of transportation my motorcycle.

007a1.jpg

I have had more people complement me on my Tool Belt. I’ve also had St Tammany Deps say they wish more people would Open Carry.

off topic but is that engine on your cycle a V-6? Or a flat 6?

:cool:

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

I open carry my pistol on the hip, even (or especially) when on horseback. Different holsters for different guns, each to specifically fit that particular weapon. On horseback retention is the BIG thing, get the best retention you can find.

As to your wallet and car keys/ Left front pocket if your slacks/jeans will allow it. Do not get in your car with your wallet in your back pocket, your back may not tell you today, but I will guarantee some day your back will protest the presence of that wallet in your back pocket. With todays bucket seats this time will come sooner rather than later.

I carry my 1911 in an M1914 flap holster or a Bianchi UM-84 flap holster (cross-draw) when on horseback. Positive retention/protection. (We have cactus and mesquite to deal with.) All other times... 'Serpa II cross draw (separate gunbelt) at 45 deg cant. Usually in the 10 O:Clock position.

ottyboy

Blackhawk concealment holster

Just wondering does anyone when they go in places that you are not allowed to carry take off holster and gun or do you just remove the gun?

sraacke

Just wondering does anyone when they go in places that you are not allowed to carry take off holster and gun or do you just remove the gun?

Depends. Like Wolf, I try to avoid any place I'm not welcome with a gun. IF I have to enter a place like that I have the option of just leaving the whole pistol belt in the car or unholstering the gun which I really hate to do. I'm a big fan of the idea that a "Holstered gun is a safe gun" and anytime I remove it or reholster it I introduce a small possibility of an AD/ND. That said, while my gun may not be welcome, my pistol belt still holds my less than lethal backups including Taser and Freeze +P. So I will leave the gun in the car and go in empty holster but still have them to fall back on.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...My wallet carries an ATM card...

I really should get one of those. ;)

And to answer the OP: I carry an XDm9 at about the 4:00 position in a Raven Phantom holster.
I carry my wallet in side cargo pocket or opposite rear pocket.

Last edited: