Thread: new to lawton OK

new to lawton OK

I am not a resident of the state of Oklahoma, I just moved here from Washington state. I am in the military and I am an open carry advocate. how can I get involved in the open carry movement here in Oklahoma?
    I am a resident of Washington and I believe every state should allow open carry like Washington state, South Dakota, Montana ect.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Riser View Post
    I am not a resident of the state of Oklahoma, I just moved here from Washington state. I am in the military and I am an open carry advocate. how can I get involved in the open carry movement here in Oklahoma?
    I am a resident of Washington and I believe every state should allow open carry like Washington state, South Dakota, Montana ect.
    At this point in time DO NOT OC in Oklahoma unless you are on duty, in uniform and under arms. It is a good way to take a trip to jail.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Howdy Amigo!
    Yeah, open carry in Oklahoma is going to get you into more hot water than a Maine lobster!
    Don't do it, unless of course, you enjoy the plush accomodations of the county bed and breakfast!

You found the Oklahoma board, and if you cherish the right to carry open, you may wish to help others in Oklahoma work to achieve it.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Oklahoma ain't the place to OC. I live in Colorado and recently visited Sapulpa for a metal detecting competition. It really bothered me to leave my pistol in the car when moving around town, but them's the berries. Next time I go down that way, I will carry under my CCW permit.

I hope you folks in Oklahoma can secure your right to OC but right now, it doesn't appear real likely. Same goes for Texas!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

The only group that I know of that is actively working for OC is the Oklahoma 2nd Amendment association. Legislative session for this year is already over.

You can check out the OK2A website at http://OK2A.org
    Last edited by hrdware; 07-29-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: corrected URL

open carry

there are a few instances in oklahoma when and where you can open carry.
    1. on your own property(verified by local and state LEO)
    2. While hunting
    3. While in vehicle (MUST HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE ON YOU)

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Riser View Post
    there are a few instances in oklahoma when and where you can open carry.
    1. on your own property(verified by local and state LEO)
    2. While hunting
    3. While in vehicle (MUST HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE ON YOU)
    The caveat to number 1 above is that you can be cited for disturbing the peace if enough of your neighbors call and complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    The only group that I know of that is actively working for OC is the Oklahoma 2nd Amendment association. Legislative session for this year is already over.

You can check out the OK2A website at http://www.OK2A.org
    Actually it is http://OK2A.org

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    Actually it is http://OK2A.org

Thx...fixed

I asked a friend (who's a Lawton cop) about places to shoot. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    I asked a friend (who's a Lawton cop) about places to shoot. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.
    Forgive me quoting myself, but it's relevant:

I heard back from the fellow who's a Lawton cop (he also grew up there; his dad retired from the Army at Sill). He said as far as he knows, there's no local range other than the LPD range. He's not sure if it's available to the public or not (and he's barely off rookie status, so he's not trying to rock any boats).

His advice: make the acquaintance of someone with some acreage outside the city limits. You can shoot all you want, with the owner's permission.

There is a gun range here in Duncan thats where i shoot at. Its called the Stephens Co. Rifle & Pistol Club. To shoot there you have to be a member or go there with a member. Here is the website: http://okscrapclub.org/