• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to lawton OK

SSG Riser

I am not a resident of the state of Oklahoma, I just moved here from Washington state. I am in the military and I am an open carry advocate. how can I get involved in the open carry movement here in Oklahoma?
I am a resident of Washington and I believe every state should allow open carry like Washington state, South Dakota, Montana ect.

OldCurlyWolf

I am not a resident of the state of Oklahoma, I just moved here from Washington state. I am in the military and I am an open carry advocate. how can I get involved in the open carry movement here in Oklahoma?
I am a resident of Washington and I believe every state should allow open carry like Washington state, South Dakota, Montana ect.

At this point in time DO NOT OC in Oklahoma unless you are on duty, in uniform and under arms. It is a good way to take a trip to jail.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Yeah, open carry in Oklahoma is going to get you into more hot water than a Maine lobster!
Don't do it, unless of course, you enjoy the plush accomodations of the county bed and breakfast!

You found the Oklahoma board, and if you cherish the right to carry open, you may wish to help others in Oklahoma work to achieve it.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Oklahoma ain't the place to OC. I live in Colorado and recently visited Sapulpa for a metal detecting competition. It really bothered me to leave my pistol in the car when moving around town, but them's the berries. Next time I go down that way, I will carry under my CCW permit.

I hope you folks in Oklahoma can secure your right to OC but right now, it doesn't appear real likely. Same goes for Texas!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

hrdware

The only group that I know of that is actively working for OC is the Oklahoma 2nd Amendment association. Legislative session for this year is already over.

You can check out the OK2A website at http://OK2A.org

Last edited:

SSG Riser

open carry

there are a few instances in oklahoma when and where you can open carry.
1. on your own property(verified by local and state LEO)
2. While hunting
3. While in vehicle (MUST HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE ON YOU)

hrdware

there are a few instances in oklahoma when and where you can open carry.
1. on your own property(verified by local and state LEO)
2. While hunting
3. While in vehicle (MUST HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE ON YOU)

The caveat to number 1 above is that you can be cited for disturbing the peace if enough of your neighbors call and complain about it.

KBCraig

I asked a friend (who's a Lawton cop) about places to shoot. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.
Forgive me quoting myself, but it's relevant:

I heard back from the fellow who's a Lawton cop (he also grew up there; his dad retired from the Army at Sill). He said as far as he knows, there's no local range other than the LPD range. He's not sure if it's available to the public or not (and he's barely off rookie status, so he's not trying to rock any boats).

His advice: make the acquaintance of someone with some acreage outside the city limits. You can shoot all you want, with the owner's permission.