• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What ya think ? Turn it into a Pistol ...or

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Convert to pistol or Find a new loving home for it ? PM me with your feelings :)

That's a Magpul UBR stock, on a SLR15 Defensive Edge multi cal Lower with DPMS trigger

I think I might need to part with it as to get a Ruger -SP101 357 Mag with a 2.25 inch Barrel Double action only ( hammer-less )

Moderator comment--

Obvious attempt to circumvent rules. Deleted posts and references thereto and locking the thread.

Last edited:

protias

People create AR Pistols all the time from Lowers...but I guess that's not what I am (( really)) asking :)

I know you can built an AR pistol form lowers, but doesn't it depend on how the paperwork was filled out as a pistol or rifle? I thought you could only go from pistol to rifle and no the other way.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I know you can built an AR pistol form lowers, but doesn't it depend on how the paperwork was filled out as a pistol or rifle? I thought you could only go from pistol to rifle and no the other way.

not 100 % sure on this..waiting for Interceptor to chime in..He really is the expert on these things.

markush

As protias said, It would have had to have been originally written up as a pistol. Even if it was originally transfered as a pistol and then later built as a rifle it cannot go back to being a pistol.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

As protias said, It would have had to have been originally written up as a pistol. Even if it was originally transfered as a pistol and then later built as a rifle it cannot go back to being a pistol.

It is legal to make a pistol from a firearm transferred as a "pistol", "frame" or "receiver". If it was ever transferred as a "rifle" then it may only ever be a rifle or entered into the NFA as a SBR but it may never again be a "pistol". According to the most strict ATF interpretation of the law, if you ever make a rifle from a pistol (attach a stock to it) then it may never be a pistol.
Of course this is not legal advice as I am not a Lawyer.
I can cite US code to support my personal opinion though......:cool:
If you notice, a rifle can be "made or remade". A pistol must have been "originally designed" and made...
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2009/07/070709-openletter-ffl-gca.pdf

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter-- (7) The term ``rifle'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made
or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or
redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire
only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of
the trigger.
(8) The term ``short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or
more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from
a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such
weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six
inches.
27 C.F.R. § 479.11 Meaning of terms.
Title 27 - Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms
Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.
Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s)..

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
It is legal to make a pistol from a firearm transferred as a "pistol", "frame" or "receiver". If it was ever transferred as a "rifle" then it may only ever be a rifle or entered into the NFA as a SBR but it may never again be a "pistol". According to the most strict ATF interpretation of the law, if you ever make a rifle from a pistol (attach a stock to it) then it may never be a pistol.
If you notice, a rifle can be "made or remade". A pistol must have been "originally designed" and made...

Thank you very much ! :)

M

McX

What ya think ? Turn it into a Pistol ...or...........give it to me.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member

Yup, more stupid laws. The dumbest one though (in this area) has to be that you can't buy an AR-15 as a pistol and turn it into an SBR without doing the NFA paperwork and paying the tax. Completely stupid! You are making it LESS concealable! Helloooooooo ATF....it's actually getting longer! D-bags. :cuss:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Yup, more stupid laws. The dumbest one though (in this area) has to be that you can't buy an AR-15 as a pistol and turn it into an SBR without doing the NFA paperwork and paying the tax. Completely stupid! You are making it LESS concealable! Helloooooooo ATF....it's actually getting longer! D-bags. :cuss:

ATF = All together Facist

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
A pistol can be made into a rifle, then converted back to a pistol

Thank you very much ! :)

On June 8, 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Contender pistol and carbine kit are not a short-barreled rifle under the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. §5845(a)(3). This means that a consumer may possess the pistol with its 10" barrel and may use the kit parts to make a rifle with the 21" barrel, as long as the shoulder stock is not assembled onto the receiver at the same time as the 10" barrel.

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html