• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does IKEA have any firearm restrictions?

Polynikes

I went ahead and called IKEA at about 7:00pm MST when I got home from work and spoke with a nice rep by the name of Mara. I told her that my wife and I are both CCW holders and were interested in shopping at their new store in Denver, but I wanted to be clear on their store's weapons policy before making the trip up there. She was understandably puzzled (I'm sure they don't get that question often) and put me on hold for about five minutes while she consulted with a "Senior Sales Associate." When she came back on the line she informed me that her manager had stated that if my wife and I were able to legally carry handguns in the state of Colorado, the store would not contradict state law. He did recommend that when I enter the store, I go find one of their Loss Prevention personnel and inform them that I was carrying legally. (Yeah, right.)

So, there you have it. My initial impression appears to have been wrong, but I'll reserve future comments until someone has actually seen the store front and any signage they may have posted.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have carried at a couple IKEAs here in VA. I have never had an issue and once even had a pleasant and postive conversation with one of the managers who was interested in carrying. He said the policy was to follow state law. If they all follow the same policy I think you'll be okay. Good luck.

VW_Factor

PDX Ikea is posted as a weapon free zone. However, worst they can do is ask me to leave. Anytime I've gone up there, in the PDX area, I was concealed anyway.

Polynikes

PDX Ikea is posted as a weapon free zone. However, worst they can do is ask me to leave. Anytime I've gone up there, in the PDX area, I was concealed anyway.

If a store is posting No Firearms signs, they don't get my money. I'm not going to play around concealing in their store and still giving them my money, and I'm more than happy to explain to them why I'm taking my business elsewhere.

TheLittleMan

I'll try to check with them tonight when I deliver there, I didn't see any signs posted last time I was there but the store wasn't officially opened yet. I'll get back to you with anything I find out.

VW_Factor

If a store is posting No Firearms signs, they don't get my money. I'm not going to play around concealing in their store and still giving them my money, and I'm more than happy to explain to them why I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Neither my wife nor I checked on the website before our trip to PDX to head there. First trip didn't even see it. The sticker is on a automagic slider door, and given how busy the place is, you'd have to look for it.

Our second trip to get my wifes new computer desk, is when we noticed it. We got the desk, and haven't gone back since. Not until there is something we absolutely have to have, then I am sure the wife will win out.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I've lived 62 years without ever stepping foot into an IKEA, and if they are antigun, they won't seem me shopping there in the next 62 years either. Besides, I figure I ain't likely to live to 124 years of age nohow. And if I do, nobody will be more surprised than me!

Seems to me that whole IKEA thing is a lot of hype. Don't see any need to go there when I never have before.

Besides, Jake Jabbs has always done me right, and has been a fixture of our local economy forever and a day.

Is there something totally fantastic about IKEA that I don't know about?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

mahkagari

Is there something totally fantastic about IKEA that I don't know about?

About half the price/gaudiness of Jake Jabbs, I've heard. About the same on life expectancy, as well though. TMK they specialize in cheap, plain, functional furniture. I still prefer craigslist, though.

M-Taliesin

About half the price/gaudiness of Jake Jabbs, I've heard. About the same on life expectancy, as well though. TMK they specialize in cheap, plain, functional furniture. I still prefer craigslist, though.

Howdy Mahkagari!
Oh, I see. Most of my furniture is vintage yard sale or early flea market stuff.

The only time I got new furniture was a living room set from Jake's place, and it didn't hold up very well or very long.

Then again, we have un-declawed cats in the house. Goes with the territory!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

The only time I got new furniture was a living room set from Jake's place, and it didn't hold up very well or very long.

We've been shopping for a new TV stand/liquor cabinet. The old particle board entertainment center has been falling apart. Ikea had ridiculous prices like $50 to Jake Jabs $3-600. In the end we cut the china cabinet off the entertainment center with a jigsaw, stained the cut, and got a nice BIG natural wood TV stand/cabinet for $25 on craigslist. Not all of the stuff fit in the new cabinet. Needed to make room for the cooking wines in the kitchen.

since9

Campaign Veteran
IKEA was the only decent off-base place to shop for furniture in Germany. I wasn't impressed, and despite visiting them several times, the only thing I ever bought were vegetables (they sported an open-air mart in front) and a table lamp.

ETA: Oops! The desk on which I'm typing this was purchased at IKEA! Forgot about that one... It's innovative, of good quality and didn't cost much. Suites my needs quite nicely.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

ETA: Oops! The desk on which I'm typing this was purchased at IKEA! Forgot about that one... It's innovative, of good quality and didn't cost much. Suites my needs quite nicely.

It was difficult for my wife and I to find computer desks that were comfortable for long gaming sessions. IKEA has the nice configurable desks, and a great selection of chairs. They are hard to beat in the desk category.

rpyne

I have been in to the IKEA here in Utah several times while OC with never a word from any one.

My grandkids love the play yard and i love the chocolate bars and cinnamon rolls.

Equinox

Yes, IKEA has posted no firearms.

Finally, I decided to check out IKEA while I was in the area. They have posted a no firearms sign on both entrances. Needless to say, they did not get any of my money. Oh well. I've lived this long without IKEA, so nothing will be missed.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Finally, I decided to check out IKEA while I was in the area. They have posted a no firearms sign on both entrances. Needless to say, they did not get any of my money. Oh well. I've lived this long without IKEA, so nothing will be missed.

I'm saddened to hear the unbelievable stupidity that disarmed the Norwegian victims against a defensible threat this year hasn't learned a damned thing.

Option 1: create gun-free-zones + disarm honest, law-abiding citizens ---> fields ripe for the picking by criminals and the mentally deranged

Option 2: respect the right to keep and bear arms + everywhere ---> fields sour for criminal activity and the mentally deranged

IKEA's slogan is "Affordable Solutions for Better Living." So...

Dear IKEA:

Neither I nor any free society, can afford your solution disrespectful of our Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms. If you would like to do business in our country, please respect our country. If you do not, or cannot, then neither I nor my countrymen can, will, or would every pay you a single cent for any of your products.

Walmart respects our rights as recognized and codified by our Constitution. Walmart gets my business. If there's any business decision you might make today, please keep this in mind. In this country, it's the difference between success and failure. If you cannot respect our ways, our customs, our heritage, our Constitution, and our way of life, you will, absolutely, FAIL.

On the other hand, if you respect our ways, we will respond accordingly, and keep IKEA in mind when it comes to furnishing our homes.

Sincerely...

mahkagari

I'm saddened to hear the unbelievable stupidity that disarmed the Norwegian victims against a defensible threat this year hasn't learned a damned thing.

Since9, please try to keep your facts straight. Anyone with a brain knows that the only reason the Norwegian shooter was able to carry out his actions was because he had hi-capacity magazines he ordered from the US.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Anyone with a brain knows that the only reason the Norwegian shooter was able to carry out his actions was because he had hi-capacity magazines he ordered from the US.

True. Although to be fair, IKEA is Swedish, not Norwegian. Still, when it comes to gun laws, these two neighboring countries are about as similar as the U.S. and Canada are different.

Keens

I visited Ikea last month. It's just a hype and I don't know what's wrong with people in general swarming to that place and going nuts to get Euro style, Wal-Mart quality assemble-it-yourself furniture. I ain't going back if they can't follow our rights! No gun sign on door=No $$! Walmart has been good to me OC'ing. Wonder about OC'ing at Jake Jabs' American Furniture, I need a kitchen table, and I really do not like sales people!