• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does IKEA have any firearm restrictions?

JamesB

I visited Ikea last month. It's just a hype and I don't know what's wrong with people in general swarming to that place and going nuts to get Euro style, Wal-Mart quality assemble-it-yourself furniture. I ain't going back if they can't follow our rights! No gun sign on door=No $$! Walmart has been good to me OC'ing. Wonder about OC'ing at Jake Jabs' American Furniture, I need a kitchen table, and I really do not like sales people!

Jake's was good last I knew. Been awhile since I was there personally, but I don't believe he would change.

anotherjohng

Finally, I decided to check out IKEA while I was in the area. They have posted a no firearms sign on both entrances. Needless to say, they did not get any of my money. Oh well. I've lived this long without IKEA, so nothing will be missed.

To verify this statement, I have attached a pic of the front door. Notice the signage at the bottom of the glass.

IKEA_20111216.jpg

since9

Campaign Veteran
The sign shown in the previous post probably appeared immediately after your call to Ikea.

The sign says: "Weapon Free Environment"

Virginia Tech was a weapons free environment as well. Gee, that worked so exceptionally well that IKEA decided to follow suite? Might as well hang a sign that says "Target Rich Environment."

I find it interesting that in military parlance, "weapons free" is a weapon control order imposing a status whereby weapons systems may be fired at any target not positively recognized as friendly. I wonder if IKEA has the slightest clue the verbiage on their sign is synonymous with "fire at will."

I - I
K - Kan't
E - Endorse
A - Amerika

So much for shopping at IKEA...

littlemike

I went ahead and called IKEA at about 7:00pm MST when I got home from work and spoke with a nice rep by the name of Mara. I told her that my wife and I are both CCW holders and were interested in shopping at their new store in Denver, but I wanted to be clear on their store's weapons policy before making the trip up there. She was understandably puzzled (I'm sure they don't get that question often) and put me on hold for about five minutes while she consulted with a "Senior Sales Associate." When she came back on the line she informed me that her manager had stated that if my wife and I were able to legally carry handguns in the state of Colorado, the store would not contradict state law. He did recommend that when I enter the store, I go find one of their Loss Prevention personnel and inform them that I was carrying legally. (Yeah, right.)

So, there you have it. My initial impression appears to have been wrong, but I'll reserve future comments until someone has actually seen the store front and any signage they may have posted.

No sign in the New Haven, CT store.

littlemike

I went ahead and called IKEA at about 7:00pm MST when I got home from work and spoke with a nice rep by the name of Mara. I told her that my wife and I are both CCW holders and were interested in shopping at their new store in Denver, but I wanted to be clear on their store's weapons policy before making the trip up there. She was understandably puzzled (I'm sure they don't get that question often) and put me on hold for about five minutes while she consulted with a "Senior Sales Associate." When she came back on the line she informed me that her manager had stated that if my wife and I were able to legally carry handguns in the state of Colorado, the store would not contradict state law. He did recommend that when I enter the store, I go find one of their Loss Prevention personnel and inform them that I was carrying legally. (Yeah, right.)

So, there you have it. My initial impression appears to have been wrong, but I'll reserve future comments until someone has actually seen the store front and any signage they may have posted.

No sign in the New Haven, CT store.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
My firearm (and me along with it) was ejected from IKEA last fall, by a security guard who claimed to be an ex-marine, and not in agreement with the policy.

IKEA is lame.

littlemike

I’ll recheck it and very carefully scrutinize every door and window next time. I only CCed there anyway today. Not out of concern that they might have an unfavorable policy, but given the libtard tendencies of the town, I was in no mood for some Prius-driving, Birkenstock-wearing, bed-wetting Yalie to start screaming if I OCed.

After IKEA, I went straightaway to my nearby SBUX where I knew I could OC in peace.

Based on your experience, it appears that the organizer of the Starbucks boycott attempt, Elliot Fineman, is lying through his backside when he claims that IKEA has gone along with his demands.

littlemike

My firearm (and me along with it) was ejected from IKEA last fall, by a security guard who claimed to be an ex-marine, and not in agreement with the policy.

IKEA is lame.

If he claimed to be an "ex-marine" he was lying. Nobody who ever served in the US Marine Corps would ever call himself an "ex-Marine" (unless maybe he was dishonorably discharged). "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" is Rule #1. He might be a "Former Marine," "Marine who is not currently serving," a "veteran of the Marine Corps," even an "old Marine," but NEVER, NEVER "ex-Marine." When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

That SECURITY GUARD is lame.

littlemike

Here is their list of restrictions at their store in New Haven, CT, as indicated by their signage outside the front door. Nothing about guns. I think I violated the one in the middle when I walked in with my Starbucks cup, but nobody bugged me about it. :) I think I was OK shooting this photo without contacting the staff because I was outside the store. That's one store. i know I can't carry in their store in College park, MD, because, well, it's in Maryland! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 206

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
The IKEA in Canton Twp. MI is anti firearm. The one In Atlanta (Atlantic Station) I believe is also anti firearm.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If he claimed to be an "ex-marine" he was lying. Nobody who ever served in the US Marine Corps would ever call himself an "ex-Marine" (unless maybe he was dishonorably discharged). "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" is Rule #1. He might be a "Former Marine," "Marine who is not currently serving," a "veteran of the Marine Corps," even an "old Marine," but NEVER, NEVER "ex-Marine." When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

That SECURITY GUARD is lame.

Shouldn't have used quotes, those were my words. Don't recall his precise wording.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
He's just mimicking his employer, IKEA, who is also lame for failing to respect the rights of our nation's people.

+1

I've been ejected by security guards who did think it was a good idea, and it was a very different experience. A person's attitude reveals much.

No, I have no doubt that the security guard at IKEA who ejected me was honest, and he really was just doing his job in enforcing corporate policy, contrary to his own preference.

since9

Campaign Veteran
+1

I've been ejected by security guards who did think it was a good idea, and it was a very different experience. A person's attitude reveals much.

No, I have no doubt that the security guard at IKEA who ejected me was honest, and he really was just doing his job in enforcing corporate policy, contrary to his own preference.

Aye, there are more level-headed folks out there than we seem to remember. I've found that most folks working in a profession involving armed security seem to know and understand our rights. I think it's because of the type of people these positions attract. Those who aren't armed seem to be little more than uniformed visual deterrents who're not very keen on the idea of firearms in general. I believe these positions attract a different type of people.

bhs779

I was just asked to leave Ikea Atlanta. Did not see the weapons policy on the glass door near the floor. First and last trip to Ikea. Even when I explained I was a retired state trooper in Georgia they did not seem to care. God help the folks that are attacked and there's nobody there to help them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was just asked to leave Ikea Atlanta. Did not see the weapons policy on the glass door near the floor. First and last trip to Ikea. Even when I explained I was a retired state trooper in Georgia they did not seem to care. God help the folks that are attacked and there's nobody there to help them.

I'm glad your elite ex-cop status was irrelevant.

Make sure to send them a copy of the receipt from your next furniture purchases somewhere else, though!

They are almost finished building the big new IKEA in Las Vegas. I already know their anti-gun policies and won't be visiting. I'm sure it will be a Mecca though, and there will be plenty of people who, just like Costco, will happily hand an anti-gun company their hard-earned money while concealing.

Last edited:

HPmatt

New rule from Ikea corporate in Sweden now allows for 5 breaks a day - must bring your own prayer rug though (سجادة for you VA public school guys).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: