Thread: No Firearms at El Paso County Fair?

No Firearms at El Paso County Fair?

After the Virginia Tech massacre, I would have thought more people would have pulled their heads out of their nether regions and realized the only "security threat" is one which strips (infringes upon) honest, law-abiding Americans of their right to keep and bear arms:

Products/Practices Not Allowed

Laser lights, silly string, shocking devices, and drug paraphernalia will not be allowed on the Fairgrounds.

No weapons of any kind are allowed on the fairgrounds at any time unless the vendor has a current concealed weapon permit.

Due to security risk, the sale of the following items will not be allowed: swords, hunting knives, pocket knives, firearms or items resembling firearms, noisemakers, fireworks and smoke bombs. No tobacco products can be sold or distributed on the Fairgrounds.

Merchandise referring to alcohol or drug abuse, violence or that are sexually explicit or suggestive in nature are not permitted to be sold.

Source (page 21)

I called them directly, spoke to a "Megan," and specifically asked if they meant to limit concealed carry to "vendor" or if they conferred it to everyone. She stated that they do not restrict concealed carry at the fairgrounds. Given this conflict, I called the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, who confirmed that CC was fine.

I'll provide an update after I return.

ETA: While there, I asked the sheriff's deputy on station about the rules, and he said CC was fine, but he didn't know about OC. I chose not to push the issue, as the last thing I want to see is them react with a "No Firearms" sign next year.
    Last edited by since9; 07-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Simply put, there are times it's better to tuck the firearm. Personally, in a large, milling crowd like the ones at the fair, I'd be ridiculously stressed out trying to watch my holster if I was OC. CC gives me the security of my gun without the hassle.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Simply put, there are times it's better to tuck the firearm. Personally, in a large, milling crowd like the ones at the fair, I'd be ridiculously stressed out trying to watch my holster if I was OC. CC gives me the security of my gun without the hassle.

Unless you are under 21 (No CCW), in which case I would be more stressed out without my firearm!

Quote Originally Posted by livetrapper13 View Post
    Unless you are under 21 (No CCW), in which case I would be more stressed out without my firearm!
    In that case, I'd be wearing at least a Level III Retention holster.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Howdy Folks!
    Forget about the firearms... they won't let you be armed with silly string?????
    What peril lurks in the hearts of those who carry silly string?
    Why, you can't even do that WITH a valid permit.
    Mainly, because there ain't no permit to carry concealed silly string!!!

Guess I could not go to the EPCF a week ago because I didn't have my CCW yet.
    Now I can, yeah... but if our process would have been routine, I'd not have it for the run of the fair.
    Ergo, I'd be stripped of my right to carry means of defense.
    Not only could I not protect my own life and my wife,
    I couldn't even shoot back with silly string!

What a world!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Folks!
    Forget about the firearms... they won't let you be armed with silly string?????
    What peril lurks in the hearts of those who carry silly string?
    Silly string isn't exactly a "defensive weapon".

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Nope, but if you ignite it after you have the flow going, it becomes quite effective, almost like "napalm".

Don't ask me how I know this but let's just say a melted ice cream cake will upset the kids as well as the wife.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack....

Maybe not, but it is silly! Would one be charged if one killed one's attacker with laughter?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Just to clear this up some, the El Paso County Fair grounds are well within the 1000' marker of the Calhan School (K-12) and thus, unlicensed carry there at all would be against federal law. I'm not sure that El Paso County Sheriffs would enforce it, but why try when there is a known law on the books?

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Maybe not, but it is silly! Would one be charged if one killed one's attacker with laughter?
    Howdy Pardner!
    That would depend on how long you can string them along!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Howdy Mahkagari!
    My concern is this. If they can get away with banning firearms, and even go so far as to take away your silly string...
    how far behind such infringements will be their demand that citizens give up a shrubbery?

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

am i the only one that this list looks very "politically correct"
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    am i the only one that this list looks very "politically correct"
    Howdy Amigo!
    Regarding silly string or shrubbery? I'm confused.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by ZackL View Post
    Just to clear this up some, the El Paso County Fair grounds are well within the 1000' marker of the Calhan School (K-12) and thus, unlicensed carry there at all would be against federal law. I'm not sure that El Paso County Sheriffs would enforce it, but why try when there is a known law on the books?
    Thanks for the heads up! Google Maps lists it as the high school, and it's north of the fairgrounds, right across the street from it in fact, so that's a no-no.

I agree. This ban on silly string is outrageous. We need to organize and get involved. We cannot allow this blatant suppression of our rights to continue.

Circle the wagons, hoist the black flag and start cutting throats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Amigo!
    Regarding silly string or shrubbery? I'm confused.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    sorry M, i was talking about the fair ground rules list. it seems like the contraband is politically motivated
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.