• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearms at El Paso County Fair?

since9

Campaign Veteran
After the Virginia Tech massacre, I would have thought more people would have pulled their heads out of their nether regions and realized the only "security threat" is one which strips (infringes upon) honest, law-abiding Americans of their right to keep and bear arms:

Products/Practices Not Allowed

Laser lights, silly string, shocking devices, and drug paraphernalia will not be allowed on the Fairgrounds.

No weapons of any kind are allowed on the fairgrounds at any time unless the vendor has a current concealed weapon permit.

Due to security risk, the sale of the following items will not be allowed: swords, hunting knives, pocket knives, firearms or items resembling firearms, noisemakers, fireworks and smoke bombs. No tobacco products can be sold or distributed on the Fairgrounds.

Merchandise referring to alcohol or drug abuse, violence or that are sexually explicit or suggestive in nature are not permitted to be sold.

Source (page 21)

I called them directly, spoke to a "Megan," and specifically asked if they meant to limit concealed carry to "vendor" or if they conferred it to everyone. She stated that they do not restrict concealed carry at the fairgrounds. Given this conflict, I called the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, who confirmed that CC was fine.

I'll provide an update after I return.

ETA: While there, I asked the sheriff's deputy on station about the rules, and he said CC was fine, but he didn't know about OC. I chose not to push the issue, as the last thing I want to see is them react with a "No Firearms" sign next year.

Last edited:

Polynikes

Simply put, there are times it's better to tuck the firearm. Personally, in a large, milling crowd like the ones at the fair, I'd be ridiculously stressed out trying to watch my holster if I was OC. CC gives me the security of my gun without the hassle. :dude:

livetrapper13

Simply put, there are times it's better to tuck the firearm. Personally, in a large, milling crowd like the ones at the fair, I'd be ridiculously stressed out trying to watch my holster if I was OC. CC gives me the security of my gun without the hassle. :dude:

Unless you are under 21 (No CCW), in which case I would be more stressed out without my firearm! :(

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Forget about the firearms... they won't let you be armed with silly string?????
What peril lurks in the hearts of those who carry silly string?
Why, you can't even do that WITH a valid permit.
Mainly, because there ain't no permit to carry concealed silly string!!!

Guess I could not go to the EPCF a week ago because I didn't have my CCW yet.
Now I can, yeah... but if our process would have been routine, I'd not have it for the run of the fair.
Ergo, I'd be stripped of my right to carry means of defense.
Not only could I not protect my own life and my wife,
I couldn't even shoot back with silly string!

What a world!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rscottie

Silly string isn't exactly a "defensive weapon".

Nope, but if you ignite it after you have the flow going, it becomes quite effective, almost like "napalm".

Don't ask me how I know this but let's just say a melted ice cream cake will upset the kids as well as the wife.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack....

ZackL

Just to clear this up some, the El Paso County Fair grounds are well within the 1000' marker of the Calhan School (K-12) and thus, unlicensed carry there at all would be against federal law. I'm not sure that El Paso County Sheriffs would enforce it, but why try when there is a known law on the books?

M-Taliesin

Silly string isn't exactly a "defensive weapon".

Howdy Mahkagari!
My concern is this. If they can get away with banning firearms, and even go so far as to take away your silly string...
how far behind such infringements will be their demand that citizens give up a shrubbery?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Just to clear this up some, the El Paso County Fair grounds are well within the 1000' marker of the Calhan School (K-12) and thus, unlicensed carry there at all would be against federal law. I'm not sure that El Paso County Sheriffs would enforce it, but why try when there is a known law on the books?

Thanks for the heads up! Google Maps lists it as the high school, and it's north of the fairgrounds, right across the street from it in fact, so that's a no-no.

Beau

I agree. This ban on silly string is outrageous. We need to organize and get involved. We cannot allow this blatant suppression of our rights to continue.

Circle the wagons, hoist the black flag and start cutting throats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!