• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

judge's opinion on "briefly"

hammer6

I just had a question...i was thinking about it today-

does a judge's opinion have to be in court, or can it be out of court, pertaining to what "briefly" means?

and- does it matter what kind of judge it is?

by out of court i mean- if a judge tells someone- briefly is open ended, and doesn't have a definitive time on it, so whether it's 5 seconds or 5 minutes, neither one can be the meaning....

but then i know that wouldn't hold any ground legally, because there wouldn't be case law. i'm just saying IF, we were able to get a judge to give an opinion on it, would that help us out at all?

Last edited:

JeepSeller

Typically, to be a binding legal judgement, it requires an actual "judgement". Meaning an actual, written, judgement entered into the court records and, eventually, recorded in the counties legal registers.

An opinion of a judge, outside of court, would, IMHO, be just that, an opinion.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

does a judge's opinion have to be in court, or can it be out of court, pertaining to what "briefly" means?

by out of court i mean- if a judge tells someone- briefly is open ended, and doesn't have a definitive time on it, so whether it's 5 seconds or 5 minutes, neither one can be the meaning....

but then i know that wouldn't hold any ground legally, because there wouldn't be case law. i'm just saying IF, we were able to get a judge to give an opinion on it, would that help us out at all?

Just wondering, did you have particular judge in mind or an instance where a judge was talking about "briefly" or were you just floating the idea? Unfortunately, like someone said, judges rulings only count if they are done in the court setting and officially entered into the record. An interesting idea nonetheless.

hammer6

Just wondering, did you have particular judge in mind or an instance where a judge was talking about "briefly" or were you just floating the idea? Unfortunately, like someone said, judges rulings only count if they are done in the court setting and officially entered into the record. An interesting idea nonetheless.

yeah i only ask because i am personal friends with 3 judges where i live....2 county and 1 circuit judge...

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
yeah i only ask because i am personal friends with 3 judges where i live....2 county and 1 circuit judge...

I can only hope that one of my clients has one of these judges one day. In that case, their opinion becomes precedent, and that section of the law would be nullified until the appeals court gets it.

hammer6

I can only hope that one of my clients has one of these judges one day. In that case, their opinion becomes precedent, and that section of the law would be nullified until the appeals court gets it.

so should i ask one of them their opinion on the word briefly? or what?

GIdeon_70

The best option is to ask for an opinion from the Attorney General.

77zach

Can't. Only certain official offices, i.e. sheriffs, can request an AG opinion.

Even if you could ask, she might not give an opinion. "Briefly" isn't defined anywhere so she might just shrug. She is a neocon drug warrior so we probably don't want an opinion anyway. I'm not sure if she makes an exception to her statism when it comes to gun rights or not.

Last edited: