Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Traveling through Wisconsin

  1. #1
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    273

    Traveling through Wisconsin

    My family and I will be traveling from Michigan through Wisconsin out to Minnesota and back again. What do I need to know? Or what state website should I go to for info. Want to know if I can/should carry, or just keep it locked (unloaded) in the trunk?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Trip20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wausau Area
    Posts
    527
    You cannot carry in Wisconsin while in a vehicle.

    Keep it unloaded and encased.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643

    Thumbs up Handgunlaw.us works well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    My family and I will be traveling from Michigan through Wisconsin out to Minnesota and back again. What do I need to know? Or what state website should I go to for info. Want to know if I can/should carry, or just keep it locked (unloaded) in the trunk?

    Thanks for any help.
    This website works well for me in my travels: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

    I usually go to the links for whichever state I will be passing through and print out the vehicle/gun laws.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  4. #4
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    No carry within 1000 ft. of a school....

    Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

    George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

    Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    When are you going? Before or after November 1ST?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  6. #6
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Don't look a cougar in the eye. There is a feral cat problem too.
    The turkeys up here will not give the road to any vehicle.
    Cheese curds are real. So is the fish fry. Actually the fish fry (and beer) is the only thing eateries CAN get right up here. Bring your own food unless you are into frozen bar food and crap service.
    The state really does shut down during deer season.
    It's nice in the fall.
    Lake Geneva is a FIB tourist trap.

    IMNGBRFIBCHIANPFO!


    Wisco drivers do not understand what a red light is. They will run red lights so always wait a few seconds before proceeding on a green.

    Get a really really good radar detector.



    I think that about covers it.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-29-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: I forgot IMNGBRFIBCHIANPFO!
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Don't look a cougar in the eye. There is a feral cat problem too.
    The turkeys up here will not give the road to any vehicle.
    Cheese curds are real. So is the fish fry. Actually the fish fry (and beer) is the only thing eateries CAN get right up here. Bring your own food unless you are into frozen bar food and crap service.
    The state really does shut down during deer season.
    It's nice in the fall.
    Lake Geneva is a FIB tourist trap.

    IMNGBRFIBCHIANPFO!


    Wisco drivers do not understand what a red light is. They will run red lights so always wait a few seconds before proceeding on a green.

    Get a really really good radar detector.



    I think that about covers it.
    I take issue with one thing; many small places DO know how to cook breakfast! Lunch and dinner are hit or miss.

    A great deal too many Wisconsin drivers also like to hang out in the left lane and go slow like idiots but when you try to pass them, speed up just to stay in your blind spot. I was born here but know better than that.

    Oh, and if the streets seem suddenly deserted; the Packers are probably playing.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 07-29-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  8. #8
    Regular Member Big Dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Illinois & Wisconsin
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Get a really really good radar detector.
    Preferably with LIDAR included. State Troopers and many County Sheriffs have gone the laser route.

    If the LIDAR detection goes off, whatever your speed is when you get the signal is the one that they have on their "gun".

    Also the troopers are starting to sit on overpasses much more often than in medians. It seems that people just don't look "up" much.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    When are you going? Before or after November 1ST?
    I will be going the middle of August.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I take issue with one thing; many small places DO know how to cook breakfast! Lunch and dinner are hit or miss.

    A great deal too many Wisconsin drivers also like to hang out in the left lane and go slow like idiots but when you try to pass them, speed up just to stay in your blind spot. I was born here but know better than that.

    Oh, and if the streets seem suddenly deserted; the Packers are probably playing.
    Gee, and I thought only Michigan had bad drivers.

  11. #11
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Don't look a cougar in the eye. There is a feral cat problem too.
    The turkeys up here will not give the road to any vehicle.
    Cheese curds are real. So is the fish fry. Actually the fish fry (and beer) is the only thing eateries CAN get right up here. Bring your own food unless you are into frozen bar food and crap service.
    The state really does shut down during deer season.
    It's nice in the fall.
    Lake Geneva is a FIB tourist trap.

    IMNGBRFIBCHIANPFO!


    Wisco drivers do not understand what a red light is. They will run red lights so always wait a few seconds before proceeding on a green.

    Get a really really good radar detector.



    I think that about covers it.
    Nice to know. Note: If you have a lead foot(or just like not getting into vehicle accidents), stay the hell out of Wisconsin and Chicagoland.

    I had to look up that acronym.

    LIDAR is one SOB when it comes to evasion. You can't react to LIDAR, if it picks you up, you're done.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    Preferably with LIDAR included. State Troopers and many County Sheriffs have gone the laser route.

    If the LIDAR detection goes off, whatever your speed is when you get the signal is the one that they have on their "gun".

    Also the troopers are starting to sit on overpasses much more often than in medians. It seems that people just don't look "up" much.
    I could easily go into why I prefer to be hit with LIDAR than radar, but this is not the forum for it. If you really want to know, ask me via PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  13. #13
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    If your looking for info Check Here for lot's of state specific as well as general info and references. It's also stickied in the WI Sub-Forum and below in my Signature.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Frozen Tundra, , USA
    Posts
    88

    Angry

    We have lots of critters here. They are fun to see and some are good to eat. However they also like to run in the road. Pay attention for critters on the road. I hit a deer going to work Friday night. Not only did I miss OT but now I have a repair bill to boot. Darn Deer.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Jesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cameron, WI
    Posts
    67
    Just when you think you are lost, 50 miles from the nearest town don't fear. You will come upon a 4 way intersection that will have at least one bar that you can stop at for a refreshment and a microwaved cheeseburger or a party pizza

  16. #16
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    273
    Thank you everyone for your information. I'll be sure to wave as I'm driving through.

  17. #17
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    Thank you everyone for your information. I'll be sure to wave as I'm driving through.
    Just don't wave your pistol!
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I take issue with one thing; many small places DO know how to cook breakfast! Lunch and dinner are hit or miss.

    A great deal too many Wisconsin drivers also like to hang out in the left lane and go slow like idiots but when you try to pass them, speed up just to stay in your blind spot. I was born here but know better than that.

    Oh, and if the streets seem suddenly deserted; the Packers are probably playing.
    When driving here in Michigan some of our citizens do this too, but cars with Illinois plates seem to do this the most... followed by cars with Wisconsin plates in a very close second.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •