• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through Wisconsin

Outdoorsman

My family and I will be traveling from Michigan through Wisconsin out to Minnesota and back again. What do I need to know? Or what state website should I go to for info. Want to know if I can/should carry, or just keep it locked (unloaded) in the trunk?

Thanks for any help.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Handgunlaw.us works well.

My family and I will be traveling from Michigan through Wisconsin out to Minnesota and back again. What do I need to know? Or what state website should I go to for info. Want to know if I can/should carry, or just keep it locked (unloaded) in the trunk?

Thanks for any help.

This website works well for me in my travels: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I usually go to the links for whichever state I will be passing through and print out the vehicle/gun laws.

HandyHamlet

Don't look a cougar in the eye. There is a feral cat problem too.
The turkeys up here will not give the road to any vehicle.
Cheese curds are real. So is the fish fry. Actually the fish fry (and beer) is the only thing eateries CAN get right up here. Bring your own food unless you are into frozen bar food and crap service.
The state really does shut down during deer season.
It's nice in the fall.
Lake Geneva is a FIB tourist trap.

IMNGBRFIBCHIANPFO!

Wisco drivers do not understand what a red light is. They will run red lights so always wait a few seconds before proceeding on a green.

Get a really really good radar detector.

I think that about covers it.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Cheese curds are real. So is the fish fry. Actually the fish fry (and beer) is the only thing eateries CAN get right up here. Bring your own food unless you are into frozen bar food and crap service.
It's nice in the fall.

IMNGBRFIBCHIANPFO!

Wisco drivers do not understand what a red light is. They will run red lights so always wait a few seconds before proceeding on a green.

I take issue with one thing; many small places DO know how to cook breakfast! Lunch and dinner are hit or miss.

A great deal too many Wisconsin drivers also like to hang out in the left lane and go slow like idiots but when you try to pass them, speed up just to stay in your blind spot. I was born here but know better than that.

Oh, and if the streets seem suddenly deserted; the Packers are probably playing.

Last edited:

Big Dipper

Preferably with LIDAR included. State Troopers and many County Sheriffs have gone the laser route.

If the LIDAR detection goes off, whatever your speed is when you get the signal is the one that they have on their "gun".

Also the troopers are starting to sit on overpasses much more often than in medians. It seems that people just don't look "up" much.

Outdoorsman

I take issue with one thing; many small places DO know how to cook breakfast! Lunch and dinner are hit or miss.

A great deal too many Wisconsin drivers also like to hang out in the left lane and go slow like idiots but when you try to pass them, speed up just to stay in your blind spot. I was born here but know better than that.

Oh, and if the streets seem suddenly deserted; the Packers are probably playing.

Gee, and I thought only Michigan had bad drivers. ;)

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
It's nice in the fall.

IMNGBRFIBCHIANPFO!

Nice to know. Note: If you have a lead foot(or just like not getting into vehicle accidents), stay the hell out of Wisconsin and Chicagoland.

I had to look up that acronym.

LIDAR is one SOB when it comes to evasion. You can't react to LIDAR, if it picks you up, you're done.

protias

Preferably with LIDAR included. State Troopers and many County Sheriffs have gone the laser route.

If the LIDAR detection goes off, whatever your speed is when you get the signal is the one that they have on their "gun".

Also the troopers are starting to sit on overpasses much more often than in medians. It seems that people just don't look "up" much.

I could easily go into why I prefer to be hit with LIDAR than radar, but this is not the forum for it. If you really want to know, ask me via PM.

Grizz272

We have lots of critters here. They are fun to see and some are good to eat. However they also like to run in the road. Pay attention for critters on the road. I hit a deer going to work Friday night. Not only did I miss OT but now I have a repair bill to boot. Darn Deer.

Jesse

Just when you think you are lost, 50 miles from the nearest town don't fear. You will come upon a 4 way intersection that will have at least one bar that you can stop at for a refreshment and a microwaved cheeseburger or a party pizza :)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

When driving here in Michigan some of our citizens do this too, but cars with Illinois plates seem to do this the most... followed by cars with Wisconsin plates in a very close second. :)