• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Break in

chakragod

Sorry I haven't been more active lately, the job and a time consuming hobby are taking a lot of my time these days =P

Just thought I would share that last Saturday, while my wife and I were at a friends house, our house was broken into. We don't have central air, so we have to use a window unit, and they forced it inside and crawled in through the window. When we came home, as I was walking to the door, I noticed it was open, and I looked inside to see my living room a mess and the AC sitting on the floor upside down. I immediately went back to the car and grabbed the ol' Hi Point, then called the police to come and check it out. They entered and cleared everything, then I looked around to see what was missing. Luckily, they didn't get my new shotgun or rifle....all they took was my computer monitor. They literally ripped it out and ran through the front door. Cops did some DNA swabbing (no fingerprint dusting...which I can assume is because they don't really care about the neighborhood I live in and that only a $250 monitor was stolen.) asked me some questions about the monitor and if I knew anything, then left.

It was a shock for sure, but not too much of a shock considering we live in the ghetto of St. Joe. I'm almost glad that my wife or I wasn't home at the time, because I'd hate to shoot someone over a monitor, but it could have happened.

cshoff

If you and/or your wife would have been home, whoever broke in may have been after much more than your monitor. I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt. Coming home to discover that someone is still in your house is a very legitimate fear, and one of the main reasons why my gun stays on my person, rather than in my car.

Tony4310

Glad to see you 2 were not home and only a monitor was missing. It was probably some meth head looking for something to sell to get their fix.

John3

My home was robbed in 2003 while I was out of town. All my long guns were stolen and only my guns. I just happened to have taken my 9mm with me. That same week a gun safe was sleeve anchored to a concrete wall and my 9mm never leaves my person... Coming home to some fool still inside my house always crosses my mind when I pull into my driveway. How I hate thieves!!!

No issues what so ever since 9/2003...

peterarthur

If you and/or your wife would have been home, whoever broke in may have been after much more than your monitor. I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt. Coming home to discover that someone is still in your house is a very legitimate fear, and one of the main reasons why my gun stays on my person, rather than in my car.

Not just on my person, but on my person until I get in BED! I wear my gun all evening and only take it off to set it in it's place where I can grab it in the pitch black of the night when I go to bed. Everyone that comes over knows I will always have it on me. All my neighbors know, too. I only wish i could wear it while working. Maybe WHEN I move to Arizona and get that job working for a weapons or ammo company...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Not just on my person, but on my person until I get in BED! I wear my gun all evening and only take it off to set it in it's place where I can grab it in the pitch black of the night when I go to bed. Everyone that comes over knows I will always have it on me. All my neighbors know, too. I only wish i could wear it while working. Maybe WHEN I move to Arizona and get that job working for a weapons or ammo company...

This is exactly how I am. Always carry at home.

To the OP, glad to here that you and your family are safe. Any plans to make the AC unit more secure?

StevenSTL

My roommate and I came home on Tuesday and stopped an attempted burglary. He got home a few minutes before I did and noticed the porch light was burnt out. He got a light bulb to replace it with and came outside right as I was pulling in the driveway. At the same time, 2 kids jumped the fence from out backyard into the front and ran for their lives into the woods we live next too. I pulled my gun as they were running through the yard but they kept going. Since they posed no threat to me, I wasn't legally justified to fire at them. We checked out the house as we waited for the police to arrive. They had tried to enter the house through the walk-out basement door and got spooked as we came home. Bad timing for them I guess.

I moved in to this house last Friday. Not exactly what I was hoping to encounter in my first week. That's Cool Valley for you, though.

chakragod

This is exactly how I am. Always carry at home.

To the OP, glad to here that you and your family are safe. Any plans to make the AC unit more secure?

We're actually getting a different one that actually fits into the window. The main problem with it was the little shudder things that were screwed into the window broke off and we just had it sitting in there with some plastic to block the outside air. I still think it wouldn't have mattered either way though, as it was just some plastic shudders and with enough force, would have broken anyway. I'm thinking we could make some kind of frame for the outside that would cover the AC enough to where it was secure, but not blocking anything important.

Normally I do have my pistol with me wherever I go outside of the house, but since I have my shotgun next to me when I'm in the house, I rarely bring it in anymore...and since I don't have a safe, it's just another gun that could get stolen.