Thread: The Firearms Community and Educating the Public

White Oak Plantation
    Last edited by OC for ME; 10-12-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Oklahoma, USA
    You can add the concept that responsibility for their own safety has been ursurped by the concept that the police are here to protect us.
    cheers - okboomer
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Renton, Washington, USA
    I disagree. A lot of gun owners belong to both groups. Who do you think has been fighting to keep lead shot legal for hunting, as well as keeping land open for hunting? Sure hasn't been the pistol only crowd. Also, you are not taking into account the millions of handguns that have been sold since Obama took office. Those folks are buying pistols, not shotguns and rifles for the most part.

Why do you find it necessary to divide us into groups? AFAIK, we are all on the same side, and that is preserving our 2A rights regardless of our reasons for owning guns. I learned gun safety as a child, hunting with my grandfather. I do not currently hunt, but own pistols for self defense. I have the utmost respect for responsible gun owners, regardless of the reason for owning guns. We need to support each other if we are going to make progress in fighting to keep our rights.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

In Illinois near St. Louis, MO
    OC - you are correct in your statement about Illinois. I'm one of those downstate hunters and have carried a handgun (a .22 revolver) on many hunting trips. It has mostly been as a backup to my shotty esp. for those rabbits and squirrels that get too close for the shotty.
    I also keep several handguns around the house although the neighborhood I'm in now doesn't really need that much caution (thankfully!). That doesn't mean I don't support the desire for OC/CC, particularly in light of the too numerous stories of bad LEO's. Problem is, here in Illinois, we can't record them unless they consent to it.
    So I read and learn here and four other forums (Gun Rights,, Gunsnet, & THR).

Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    While I can't speak for everyone, I enjoy both. I use/carry/have at the ready a firearm for personal protection 24/7/365. I enjoy hunting for several months of the year as well. I quite often do both at the same time (those squirrels can be deadly if provoked). That's the type of family I was brought up in. Of the guys that I know, I am the only one who hunt and carries for personal protection on a daily basis. They keep guns for protection and for hunting, but do not carry them as much. But I would have to generalize that most hunters care about personal protection to some degree, but the personal protection folks may not care about hunting.