• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Firearms Community and Educating the Public

okboomer

You can add the concept that responsibility for their own safety has been ursurped by the concept that the police are here to protect us.

Ruby

I disagree. A lot of gun owners belong to both groups. Who do you think has been fighting to keep lead shot legal for hunting, as well as keeping land open for hunting? Sure hasn't been the pistol only crowd. Also, you are not taking into account the millions of handguns that have been sold since Obama took office. Those folks are buying pistols, not shotguns and rifles for the most part.

Why do you find it necessary to divide us into groups? AFAIK, we are all on the same side, and that is preserving our 2A rights regardless of our reasons for owning guns. I learned gun safety as a child, hunting with my grandfather. I do not currently hunt, but own pistols for self defense. I have the utmost respect for responsible gun owners, regardless of the reason for owning guns. We need to support each other if we are going to make progress in fighting to keep our rights.

Outdoorsman

While I can't speak for everyone, I enjoy both. I use/carry/have at the ready a firearm for personal protection 24/7/365. I enjoy hunting for several months of the year as well. I quite often do both at the same time (those squirrels can be deadly if provoked). That's the type of family I was brought up in. Of the guys that I know, I am the only one who hunt and carries for personal protection on a daily basis. They keep guns for protection and for hunting, but do not carry them as much. But I would have to generalize that most hunters care about personal protection to some degree, but the personal protection folks may not care about hunting.