• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Autozone follows state law on firearms.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
So I talked with Laureen Kilcrease of Autozone. She is the Seattle Region HR Manager. I was told by her that the stores in her area have been informed that they are to follow state law on firearms carry. If there is a problem with a manager we are to call her with the info.

After a long conversation with her, she is a Tennessee Girl who is also pro carry. Back when I first contacted her in 2008, I passed along a bunch of Washington carry info (training bulletins, Open Carry docs, stores that allow carry) so she understood that there were other stores that allowed carry. I also passed along info so she could get her CPL.

I told her about Willow Lake and she was very interested, so I sent her an invite and a link to the thread.

her contact info:
Laureen Kilcrease
Regional HR Manager
Seattle Region #8147
253-815-1254
Laureen.Kilcrease@autozone.com

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for sharing. I haven't had any problems at Autozone here in VA but if I do I know who I will talk to. Think you could get her to email an official statement regarding carry in the stores and then post it here?

Last edited:

amzbrady

Thanks for the update Gunr. That would be awesome if Laureen would attend the Willow Lake BBQ, I have only spoken with her 1 time but she sounds like a really great person.
I am glad to hear that even though Autozone has an employee policy that if you talk about guns too much you could be fired because of a concern for the safety of other employees, that they dont ban customers from carrying. I will hopefully see more firearms on our customers as time progresses. I only wish our parking lot was part of a mini mall where it wasnt leased specifically for Autozone so I could at least be safe to and from work.

amlevin

I am glad to hear that even though Autozone has an employee policy that if you talk about guns too much you could be fired because of a concern for the safety of other employees,

This almost makes me want to go get a job at Autozone and test this policy. If fired with the stated reason of "talking too much about guns" might well supplement my retirement.

Something tells me that this is not written in their policy and if anyone was fired, it would be "without cause" under the "employment at will clause".

I know that this wasn't the case where I did work part-time after I retired. The Manager, Asst. Manager, and about 4 other employees were always talking about guns. Outside work, almost all had guns/shooting as a hobby.

amzbrady

This almost makes me want to go get a job at Autozone and test this policy. If fired with the stated reason of "talking too much about guns" might well supplement my retirement.

Something tells me that this is not written in their policy and if anyone was fired, it would be "without cause" under the "employment at will clause".

I know that this wasn't the case where I did work part-time after I retired. The Manager, Asst. Manager, and about 4 other employees were always talking about guns. Outside work, almost all had guns/shooting as a hobby.

I hope you dont listen to that something, for personal decisions in your everyday life, because it has you calling people liars.

amlevin

I hope you dont listen to that something, for personal decisions in your everyday life, because it has you calling people liars.

''Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see'' -Benjamin Franklin

This is the "something" I listen to. I've not only read a lot of Corporate Employee Handbooks, I've had a hand in writing one or two in my career. Any wording that specifically prohibited talking about guns (not just possession, but talking about) would be an invitation to Lawyers to sue the Company's shorts off.

As Metalhead47 stated, I guess it was an invitation to cite.

amlevin

On what basis?

It would force the Employer to terminate "For Cause" which is to be avoided at almost all cost. This requires a substantial amount of documentation and compliance with other provisions which are included in Employee Handbooks, which courts often view as "Contracts". Rare is the instance where someone is terminated "For Cause" that they don't run to an Attorney and try and sue for Wrongful termination. In this suggested circumstance, an Employee terminated for "Talking too much about guns" would probably seek redress due to the fact that gun possession is a constitutionally protected right. Likewise with politics and religion. It's soooooo much easier to just terminate "without cause" in a State that allows "employment at will" as I alluded in my original comment. Farewell statements like "We've decided to go a different direction, we have no further need of your services, or Thank You, but Friday will be your last day" without any further elaboration is good enough. Also makes the Company pretty much "Lawyer Proof" as long as everyone keeps it to just those statements and the Employee is covered by an Employment at Will agreement. I know that most Washington State employers make acknowledgment of this part of the employment package.

As for what employees talk about, unless it falls under Sexual Harassment, Racial Bias, or "Hate Speech", pretty much is fair game. That said, just standing around and talking all the time could be enough for the Employer to send you down the road but I'll wager that they won't tell you it is. They'll just let you go to avoid the continuous "writing up" and "making a file" in order to insulate them from a wrongful discharge suit.

Tacitus42

I OC'd

at the 6th ave Autozone in Tacoma on Fri returning a alternator for the core.. No problems whatsoever

amlevin

Oh. I didn't realize we were discussing termination. I thought you meant simply the proviso being in the employee handbook as being grounds enough to sue.

When being advised by an Attorney while putting together a handbook, he said to not put anything in that you didn't want to be used by a quote "Not so bright Store Manager" in terminating an Employee.