• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Cop Encounter, Oceanside California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

Look, you can bemoan the way the officer tried to get the citizen to violate his own civil rights, but when the citizen refused to do it to himself the officer accepted it with politeness and respect. This acceptance by the officer is what I feel is the shining star of this encounter.

Think about it for a minute ... if we can 'retrain' LEO that they DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO INSIST on us violating our civil rights, then more will accept our standing on our civil rights. Now, there is also a prime example of how LEO are able to get us citizens to 'give a little' on our civil rights when he asked Jeremy what his name was, then when he saw Jeremy was hesitant, he introduced himself which elicited Jeremy's first name :shocker:

We are taught to be polite, and that officer used that against Jeremy! I could almost feel the shiver that must have went up Jeremy's spine when he seemed to realize what he had just done :rolleyes:

As for RAS, he had that because of the calls to dispatch. Asking who you are and what you are doing is fine ... it is just a question. But, for decades we have been trained, in school, by parents, etc. that we should cooperate with LEO. Whether it is under the guise of "help us to catch the BG" or "help us to help you" ... either way, we all need to retrain to stop this from continuing to erode our Civil Rights under the color of law.

I still think this was a great example of a good cop and good interaction. The more support this cop gets, the more his supervisors will look at how he conducts himself, and, maybe they will start including it in their training program.

He had no RAS. None. The stop was made because of the KA e-law, period. It is completely optional for the cop and this one--nice guy or not, chose to use an unconstitutional law to detain, however briefly, a subject of the Gulag. No other state has a law like this and it exists solely to keep the subjects who would dare carry even unloaded under the boot of the rulers.

OC for ME

You may be able to win a legal argument, in front of a judge. You can never win a policy argument. Why stop?....Oh, just cuz I can. That was a bad cop video, again.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
He had no RAS. None. The stop was made because of the KA e-law, period. It is completely optional for the cop and this one--nice guy or not, chose to use an unconstitutional law to detain, however briefly, a subject of the Gulag. No other state has a law like this and it exists solely to keep the subjects who would dare carry even unloaded under the boot of the rulers.

Hey, GS! You'll love this. Did you know that in 1939 Life magazine compared the FBI with the NKVD? They said something like, "The NKVD is a national police force like the FBI." Ohhhhhhh, is that too rich, or what?

Its buried in this video: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/world-war-2-behind-closed-doors/

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I had not seen this video before. I wonder what would have happened if the "polite" officer had asked the citizen to allow himself to be disarmed for "officer safety", only to have the citizen politely say "Officer, you have nothing to fear from me, but if you are concerned for your safety, just allow me to be on my way so you will have no further concern". After all, the cop had absolutely no RAS to suspect the citizen of any wrongdoing, and no reason to detain him for legally carrying the pistol.

I only occasionally check out stories from other states, but here I am astounded by what is called a "great cop encounter"! I'm not saying something like this coudn't happen in VA, but if it did, it would have been labeled a clear violation of basic rights, and while we here would have complied with the LEO's demands (they were not just requests), the poster would have been strongly encouraged to write to the chief of police to protest, and consult an attorney for a possible lawsuit. People have won lawsuts here for little more than what happpened on this video. I've carried a (loaded) pistol openly almost every damn day for the last 4+ years, and have yet to have an LEO "detain" me for such. I've lobbied at the state assembly every year during the same period, and carried the same loaded pistol there. California has a LOOONG way to go. We didn't get to our place by waiting for the authorities to see the error of their ways and give us our rights, we fought tooth and nail for them over the last 6-7 years, and refused to give in. We continue to work at keeping the freedoms we deserve. You folks can't expect much if you don't realize when you are being screwed, and don't do anythng about it when do realize it.

A typical interaction here:

"Good afternoon, sir."

" 'Afternoon officer.

"I see you're open carrying there. What is that, a SIG?"

"No sir, It's a Walther PPS".

"Do you like it?"

"You bet, its really comfortable and ......blah blah blah.

(If I were in a hurry, I'd say "I'd love to talk about this some more, but I'm in a hurry today. You have a nice day." and the LEO would say "You take care, now".

A world of difference from the "great LEO encounter". Things CAN be better for you all, but only if you refuse to tolerate being pushed around.

Status
Not open for further replies.