• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fredericksburg Fair - "No firearms"

Blk97F150

I just came across this, and still doing research. Does anyone know if the Fredericksburg Fair is privately owned, or subject to preemption?

Btw is a "fire arm" what happens when you light your shirt sleeve on fire? :banghead:

http://www.fredericksburgfair.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=211&Itemid=235

Fire Arms
No fire arms are allowed on the fairgrounds except for the on-duty police and security employed by the Fredericksburg Agricultural Fair, Inc. Any individual found to be in possession of fire arms on the fairgrounds shall be asked to vacate the premises immediately. There will be NO REFUND of any entrance fees.

Blk97F150

You quoted what you needed to answer your question, "Fredericksburg Agricultural Fair, Inc." it's a private company.

I thought about that after I posted... but I wasn't sure if there was more to it then that. I'll keep digging a little more.... for some reason I had thought the City of Fredericksburg had some 'stake' in the fair. Perhaps not.

Thanks for the reply

TFred

I checked the city tax records, the property (2400 Airport Ave) is owned by the entity of the same name and the lack of a listing for a previous owner means that the land has not changed hands for many years (you'd have to go to the clerk's office to look up the deed to see when the last change occurred). Not sure who or what is behind the company, but the land is owned by the corporation.

TFred

user

Accomplished Advocate
why support an anti gun organization? No guns = no money.

You got that right. I vote with my dollars.

Btw, what, exactly, is at that 2400 Airport Road address? Is there any kind of structure there, and if so, what kind? Is that where the "fair" is held? I noted that this was the address given to the Va. State Corp. Commission as that of the registered agent. Be funny if it were a vacant lot and someone tried to get service of process there.

TFred

You got that right. I vote with my dollars.

Btw, what, exactly, is at that 2400 Airport Road address? Is there any kind of structure there, and if so, what kind? Is that where the "fair" is held? I noted that this was the address given to the Va. State Corp. Commission as that of the registered agent. Be funny if it were a vacant lot and someone tried to get service of process there.
There are several buildings there, used for various "fair" type functions. I don't know if any are inhabited year-round, or if there are even any office-type accommodations. It's been a LONG time since I went to the fair.

See attached, showing the property boundaries and aerial view, from the Fredericksburg GIS system.

Also a "bird's eye" from Bing.

TFred

FredFairgrounds.jpg

lagmonkey

Well this is a bummer. So much for getting my annual funnel cake fix. :cry:

Although ... as they state in their policies & rules the only thing that will happen, IF they discover you are carrying, is that you "shall be asked to vacate the premises immediately" with no refund of your entry fee.

Bah, who am I kidding, I'll just add this clown shoe operation to yet another place I avoid like the plague thanks to their ignorant policy of denying my right to protect myself and my family. Besides, as I have gotten older (and heavier!) I have finally started to realize that funnel cakes are rarely as tasty as I remember them being when I was a kid.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Hmm seeing as the Fair was founded back in pre-revolutionary times by decree of the the House of Burgesses, perhaps they are Loyalists to the Crown?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
From the "History" section of their web page it seems there is a Fair Office building located on the grounds.

Also perusing the web page I noticed there is no information on how one might become a member of the organization and/or a candidate for the Board of Directors. Having noticed that the Chesterfield County Fair Association, Inc. does provide that information, there is an interesting post about it over at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93627-Chesterfield-fair-no-firearms-(for-vendors .

stay safe.