• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL's Newest member - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Chief Executive Officer

GasCharged

I was an airgunner for about three years before I got into firearms.
I joined the NRA then the VCDL and then the GOA and also the SASS.
The only thing that sticks in my mind was the NRA kept quiet about the 1st Amendment, when it came to the thing about where the money was coming from to front the politicians. Not sure if this is the right way to say it, but it made me mad. We have more than just the 2A here, and the NRA is only into that, that is fine but it doesn't help the rest of us.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I was an airgunner for about three years before I got into firearms.
I joined the NRA then the VCDL and then the GOA and also the SASS.
The only thing that sticks in my mind was the NRA kept quiet about the 1st Amendment, when it came to the thing about where the money was coming from to front the politicians. Not sure if this is the right way to say it, but it made me mad. We have more than just the 2A here, and the NRA is only into that, that is fine but it doesn't help the rest of us.

We also have the seeming antagonism or disapproval from NRA to OC.

I well recall an NRA-ILA alert that went out a few years ago giving false info about the then-prohibition on CCing in a Virginia restaurant licensed to serve alcohol: then-Code 18.2-308.J.3. In response to our call for a correction to the effect that OC was legal in such establishments, NRA-ILA said it was not an OC issue. Huh!?! How about an accuracy issue? After a round of e-mails NRA-ILA corrected the info.

We've had how many big names in NRA criticize OC in the past? Clayton Cramer? Mas Ayoob?

While many think NRA dislikes OC because it would cut into their certified CCW instructors income (I agree), I think it goes deeper.

First and foremost, OC lets each and every person do something every single day to promote self-defense rights. OC totally bypasses NRA and says, "We can do this without paying dues, without relying on your lobbyists. Essentially, people will get the word without filtering by NRA, without reliance on NRA. And, start voting for pro-gun candidates without NRA involvement or steering." This strikes at the very core of NRA's reason for existence of late. We're basically spreading the word on the street, totally bypassing NRA.

And, I'm sure there's the whole knee-jerk "you'll scare people" miscalculation.

However, I also have to wonder. NRA is in neck-deep with cops. Not just neck-deep, but in bed with cops. How many sweet nothings against OC are being whispered into NRA ears by cops? We already know there is plenty of resistance to OC by cops. How much behind the scenes influence is there?

Just for a bright side to things, since NRA is in so deep with police, NRA could start pushing on its channels to encourage police towards more respect for 4A and 5A. Imagine. A sudden resurgence of respect for 4A and 5A by cops started by NRA.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are lots of examples if you do a little looking.
This one sort of takes aim at Va.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-171570.html
Even the usually liberal Washington Post was nice to VCDL. Read the 11/13/04 front page article and see. www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47809-2004Nov13.html

In fact, just from the following part of the article, it sounds like some of the NRA staff is hiding from VCDL and wishing they'd go away.

"The National Rifle Association, with 100,000 members in Virginia, has not taken a position on the restaurant bill for the upcoming session. And it largely keeps its distance from the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

"I've never run into them. Never talked to them," said Randy Kozuch, the NRA's national director of state and local affairs. "I think they just want to stir it up.""

Like I said, read the article and decide for yourself. National director of state and local affairs indeed. Ha. He needs to get out more.

Go ask Arizona how helpful the NRA was.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One more and I'll let Ed explain how he's gonna convert them.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-70025.html

Here's how the latest NRA back-stab went down:

1. Local gun owner's in Virginia rightfully challenged the lawfullness of unelected MWAA (Metro. Wash. Airports Authority) bureaucrats ignoring State law on concealed carry in non-secure areas of Dulles and Reagan National Airports (both located in Virginia),

2. Unelected bureaucrats at MWAA arrogantly claim to be above the Laws of the State of Virginia, despite contrary opinion offered by the Virginia State Atty. General, and provisions of the Virginia Constitution,

3. Unelected bureaucrats at MWAA begin to enforce their unlawfull regulations prohibiting concealed carry in non-secure areas of Dulles Airport and Reagan National, both located in VA and fully controlled by VA law,

4. NRA decides that it would be a good idea to help abolish concealed carry at ALL Virginia airports under Virginia law so that there would be no conflict between the carry situation at the MWAA airports and other VA airports, in order to prevent VA CCW permit holders from becoming "confused," despite the fact that VA CCW holders have been dealing with a patchwork of local laws for a long while.

NRA did little or nothing to help get shall-issue concealed carry in VA, and now have actively helped to limit it. Once it's lost Virginians will likely NEVER recover concealed carry at airports. Thanks NRA!

I want a refund on my NRA dues. Backstabbing wastes of oxygen.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Good grief, Peter. I didn't realize there was that much out there.

I wonder if some change could be wrought by collecting all the sins into one Compendium of NRA Sins, and making it broadly known.

However, it just occurred to me that NRA-bashing is against the forum rules, so I'm going to bow out of this conversation just now.

t33j

I wonder if some change could be wrought by collecting all the sins into one Compendium of NRA Sins, and making it broadly known.

I thought of that and could have used such a list when I first started investigating why a lot of pro-gun people I talked to held a grudge against the NRA. I'd be willing to host a repository of such information if people submitted verifiable reports.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is his joining (and maybe reading the ALERTS) going to make things better, stay the same or make things worse? No idea.. I was hoping for better.

An honest question Ed....
How would it make it better considering he is only the facade on a very large bureaucratic machine?

I'm not saying it is bad. There are a number of anti's that are card carrying members of VCDL, just to be on the inside.
I'm just saying it's nothing to brag about.

Neplusultra

You're probably right!

Shouldn't we be able to address anyone and any group that doesn't fully support full 2A rights? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the definition of "bash".

And Ed, I think it's good as long as we remember who the NRA is. But I have seen a few issues on my own, such as the whole 2A is about protecting hunting "traditions" and such from many years ago. It was a very weak position and just plain wrong. I've heard some of LaPierre's speeches and was impressed but as I think Peter pointed out they are a huge bureaucracy and his personal views may not be what comes out of the NRA at all times.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Shouldn't we be able to address anyone and any group that doesn't fully support full 2A rights? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the definition of "bash".

Well, here is what the Forum Rules say, emphasis in red by me:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

So, I would say some of mine were OK because it addressed opposition to OC. The rest of youz guys is screwed, though. :p

However, the moderators might make an exception since the OP itself is about the NRA Executive Vice-President LaPierre. But, then again, maybe they won't since the OPer is one of those pesky VCDL members mugging for the camera in a photo op with an NRA bigwig.

Yeah! That's it! Its all Ed's fault. This thread's got nuthin' to do with OCDO. Its about VCDL and NRA! Boy, talk about being off-topic. :p:)

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It was just a picture and story I wanted to tell WHILE Open Carrying (California Style) in Virginia.

Well,......OK. Its a little thin, but technically it counts. :)

Please do be a little thoughtful in the future. I'm not sure I want photos of any old thing you do while OCing. I've heard stories, you know. :p:)