• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SC OC status

John Canuck

I just moved to SC and checked into the state forum to find a ghost town. I did some Internet searching, but came up with squat. Are there any grass roots organizations working on OC in SC?

Anyway, I'm up in the Greenville area. Anyone else around?

carsontech

Activist Member
The legislative system is on its break, and should fire up again at the begging of next year. We were trying to get H.3293 passed in the last session as a pro-2nd amendment constitutional carry bill. It started with good intentions and ended up getting amended so much, it turned into an anti-2nd bill. The NRA is working on it to improve the verbiage. We'll see if they actually turn it into a true constitutional carry bill (unlicensed open and discrete carry), or if they sell out.

Just research H.3292, there are tons of threads in the SC sub-forum here. about it.

Last edited:

John Canuck

I read that. It sounds like those folks have some issues. Is there enough support to get any other activist action happening? Does anyone have a list of unfriendly politicians who need persuasion? I just came from Virginia so I guess I'm used to a little more local involvement and am trying to see if it exists at all here in SC.

carsontech

Activist Member
The only local involvement I have seen is a few people contacting there representatives and the committees, and reading about how Grass Roots Gun Rights of SC was trying to get involved in the bill. The people amending the bill never took Grass Roots advice, and completely blew them off. The NRA is helping with the bill now, and I am not counting on them.

This is a state full people who only know about concealed carry. To me, it seems 90% of the gun owners here don't even know open carry exists in all the states around SC, they think OC only exits in Arizona and Texas (and Texas doesn't even have OC yet!). The people who carry here were taught by their concealed weapons permit instructors that unlicensed carry is bad, and there will be blood in the street if this bill passes.

We need to spread the word and tell the people working on the bill we want constitutional carry and restaurant carry, no exceptions.

Last edited:

John Canuck

It sounds like a long road, but every journey begins with a single step. If we had flyers, would gun shows allow them to be handed out? Would organizing a group that doesn't have the issues of grass roots SC (whatever those issues were) help? I'm not an NRA member, and the other national organizations are working on other things.

I see you are in Simpsonville. Are there enough others you know in the Greenville area that would make a Saturday breakfast worthwhile?