• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greene County Fair No guns allowed

Marco

Greene County Fair No guns allowed

2011 GREENE COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION, INC. BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

Ed Lumadue, President Dickie Durrer
Van Bowman, Vice President Shelah Haggenmaker
Paula Chapman, Secretary Sharon Lumadue
Marie Durrer, Treasurer Thomas Mallory
Gayle Collier Bill Stump

From the contact us page:
eslumadue@yahoo.com

2011 Rule/ Regs.

The last item listed
25. Firearms not allowed on fairgrounds, except for law enforcement officers.

I looked into it last yr and the fair is held on private property, however there where no signs that would alert anyone to their anti personal defense stance.
I did OC last yr and no seemed to notice or care.

Marco

Here's my email exchange with the Fair board pres.

subject: fair rule # 25
To: eslumadue@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 11:48 PM

Good afternoon members of the Greene County Fair Board,

As I was browsing the fair's website I read the Greene County Fair's general rules for entry and noticed that it appeared that the County Fair Board is either unaware that it may run afoul of Code of Virginia with regard to the carrying of firearms on county property, or it is blatantly disregarding the Code and hoping to get away with it. I hope that the situation is the prior and not the latter.

Specifically, the rules section makes this rule:
25. Firearms not allowed on fairgrounds, except for law enforcement officers.

Regarding your anti personal defense policy:

The Attorney General of Virginia has observed the foolishness of such policies, recently writing in an official opinion, "It certainly can be argued that such policies are ineffectual because persons who wish to perpetrate violence will ignore them, and that the net effect of such policies is to leave defenseless the law-abiding citizens who follow these policies."

Any attempt by the Greene County Fair Board or any county, city or other official to regulate the carrying of firearms on county owned property is specifically prohibited in the Code of Virginia Section 15.2-915 ( http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+15.2-915 ). Attempted enforcement of the Greene County Fair Rule on county property puts the Fair Board, law enforcement officials and any others involved at significant jeopardy of violating the rights of visitors and exposes the officials to both civil and criminal liability for attempting to enforce an invalid rule under color of law.

Please consider this as notice that a portion of Greene County Fair general entry rule #25 is likely in violation of the Code of Virginia if the fairgrounds are county property. I am sure that as responsible representatives of Greene County and its residents you will ensure that the county and its taxpayers are not exposed to criminal and civil penalties as a result of a county fair rule. Please let me know how the Greene County Fair Board will resolve this issue such that fair visitors are not unlawfully detained and such that the fair is not in violation of the Code of Virginia Section 15.2-915.

Thank you for your diligent attention in this matter,

Marco
Stanardsville, VA

borrowed/stolen from jmelvins email to madison co.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:05:35 -0700
Subject: Re: fair rule # 25
To: @hotmail.com

The fairgrounds are private property.

Ed

Life Is Good

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: fair rule # 25
Date: Sunday, July 31, 2011, 1:36 PM

Ed,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I hope the Greene Co. Fair board knows that these types of rules only effect the law abiding!
Criminals ignore laws/rules as rule of thump, hence the reason they are criminals.

I guess I'll have to find other family friendly entertainment for my family next week, at a venue that doesn't inhibit my families right to personal defense.
I'll be sure to pass along the boards policy to other rights minded folks.

Respectfully,
Marco
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:55:04 -0700
To: @hotmail.com

Marco,

Sorry that you won't be joining us.

Life Is Good

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 10:29:31 -0700

Ed,

I hate that the Greene Co. Fair board won't lift the firearms ban, as it does nothing to promote safety, it's safety theater!
A ban on illegal activites and items would read better and allow those legally allowed to carry to do so without running afoul of a silly rule.
Criminals will still carry.

~Marco

Ps.
I will spend my money at venues that don't prohibit personal defense, the GCF doesn't fit that bill.

Might have to see what it will take to get myself on to next yrs board. :)

Last edited:

MackTheKnife

Private property vs public entity

I am not a lawyer but if I remember correctly, when firearms are banned on private property, the owner of the property is the only one with legal standing to prohibit weapons, etc. on his or her property. If the county is using, renting, or leasing the property for a public event, then that would make it de facto public property and subject to the VA pre-emption statute. Any of our estemmed barristers care to comment on my interpetation?

Marco

If the county is using, renting, or leasing the property for a public event, then that would make it de facto public property and subject to the VA pre-emption statute.

Greene County fair board = no gov't, non profit all volunteer org.

Walt_Kowalski

Ed,

I was planning on bringing my family, and neighbors to the Green County Fair on Saturday August 6th... until it was brought to my attention that the rules and regulations do not allow for citizens to carry a firearm for personal defense. The site that this information is posted to is viewed by thousands of people daily. People that are concerned with protecting their families and friends at all times. I will also be contacting all of the vendors at the fair, and let them know how many folks will not be attending the fair, because of your policy.

Sincerely yours,

"Walt"

B. Reddy

This problem MIGHT just self-correct

Looks like this problem might just fix itself.

from NBC29 News:

"Vice President of the Greene County Fair Association Van Bowman stated, "After two more years we will no longer have the fair at this location, and thus far the fair will cease to exist. We certainly hope someone will come through with a piece of land that is suitable, but in order to do that, we need at least 30 acres."

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/nbc29/T2U8LPRA09KKTD7EN

Can there be many other private parcels in Greene Co., with paved access, parking, lights and water, 30 acres or more?

Marco

Can there be many other private parcels in Greene Co., with paved access, parking, lights and water, 30 acres or more?

Bob Stump of the Fair board had informed me of this very thing last friday.
While there are other locations that would be suitable I don't believe they want anything to do with the GCFB.
The owner of the land that is currently being used for the fair also refuses to sell to the GCFB.

hometheaterman

Yes, I've expected the fair to come to an end for a while now as I know the current owner of the fair grounds, and have heard some talk of them not being able to use the land again for a while now. Combined with the fact that the Power Fest has come into town and seems to be a much better value as you don't have to pay just to get in and walk around.

That being said, I'm thinking maybe the best thing we can do is send emails to them to let them know why we won't attend their fair.

Last edited: