• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why political ads on this forum?

safcrkr

On the top of the page for the Wisconsin forum, there is a political ad. Not just any ad, but a bullcrap ad... it denigrates Kim Simac (candidate who opposes Holperin in 12th district Senate recall) by saying she didn't pay her taxes in several years from the past 10. What it doesn't say is this - they're talking about state income taxes, and Kim is a small business owner who just started a riding stable around 2001, and hasn't made enough of a profit yet to even OWE any income taxes. I've known Kim and her husband personally for 15 years. If she owed any taxes, she'd pay them. This kind of crap makes me sick.

If this website will take money from PACs who intentional make ads designed only to mislead people about a political candidate they oppose, then I for one am done with this place for fricken good.

paul@paul-fisher.com

On the top of the page for the Wisconsin forum, there is a political ad. Not just any ad, but a bullcrap ad... it denigrates Kim Simac (candidate who opposes Holperin in 12th district Senate recall) by saying she didn't pay her taxes in several years from the past 10. What it doesn't say is this - they're talking about state income taxes, and Kim is a small business owner who just started a riding stable around 2001, and hasn't made enough of a profit yet to even OWE any income taxes. I've known Kim and her husband personally for 15 years. If she owed any taxes, she'd pay them. This kind of crap makes me sick.

If this website will take money from PACs who intentional make ads designed only to mislead people about a political candidate they oppose, then I for one am done with this place for fricken good.

Gee.... Why don't you email the administrator instead of whining in public?

To answer your question, it is called Google Ads. The administrator has no control over the ads. Google figures out YOUR interests and targets YOU. No one else probably sees the same ad.

stickbow95

Google figures out YOUR interests and targets YOU.

This must be the case.
I've yet to see one political add since I joined the forum. All I see are firearm adds, firearm training adds, hunting adds, and the occasional 4x4/off-road add. I'm not surprised since that about sums up my interests.

I think it somewhat comical that a group like Google, that is anti-gun, is hosting a pro-gun forum. Would that be... irony?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
that's the same reason we can't sell guns on here..because google ad's is anti gun & has some commie anti gun policy for their forums..a little ironic a pro-gun forum powered by anti gun Google / google ad's. This forum was well intentioned to be a open carry forum..but now is just a money maker for the Admin as we can all tell by the Advertising banners on the top of the page.... everyone has their price.. I would not say a thing if this was a Business website..but it's not

I have seen many a forum..with NO adverting on it..so this is the ADMINS choice to profit from these ads & to enforce googles no gun sales policies... this not a personal attack against the Admin..just a my Honest opinon

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The money raised on this site from ads is not profit for John. The money goes into a warchest that funds opencarry.org radio ads and other initiatives to support open carry and defeat anti-gun bills throughout the country.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
that's the same reason we can't sell guns on here..because google ad's is anti gun & has some commie anti gun policy for their forums..a little ironic a pro-gun forum powered by anti gun Google / google ad's. This forum was well intentioned to be a open carry forum..but now is just a money maker for the Admin as we can all tell by the Advertising banners on the top of the page.... everyone has their price.. I would not say a thing if this was a Business website..but it's not

I have seen many a forum..with NO adverting on it..so this is the ADMINS choice to profit from these ads & to enforce googles no gun sales policies... this not a personal attack against the Admin..just a my Honest opinon

Much more than "just" an opinion - that and you are seriously misinformed.

Being private property and we guests, the site owners need give no explanation. They have done so in the past however - you should research your material.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Don't Use "Google". They Record Your I.P. Address & What You Do...Use

Startpage and your I.P. address will not be recorded.

www.startpage.com I've been using it for a long time. Works great and keeps your privacy private.

I too NEVER see ad's against the gun rights movement on this site or any site I visit. Must be because there is nothing saved in my browsing History and of course I never allow cookies to be stored either.

paul@paul-fisher.com

that's the same reason we can't sell guns on here..because google ad's is anti gun & has some commie anti gun policy for their forums..a little ironic a pro-gun forum powered by anti gun google / google ad's. This forum was well intentioned to be a open carry forum..but now is just a money maker for the admin as we can all tell by the advertising banners on the top of the page.... Everyone has their price.. I would not say a thing if this was a business website..but it's not

i have seen many a forum..with no adverting on it..so this is the admins choice to profit from these ads & to enforce googles no gun sales policies... This not a personal attack against the admin..just a my honest opinon

lol!

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
Use Startpage and your I.P. address will not be recorded.

www.startpage.com I've been using it for a long time. Works great and keeps your privacy private.

It's not too tough to keep a low profile with a search engine that gives poor results and low total hits! Startpage.com is lame. I was getting better results and more data using AltaVista 15 years ago!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP This forum was well intentioned to be a open carry forum..but now is just a money maker for the Admin as we can all tell by the Advertising banners on the top of the page.... everyone has their price..

Oh, I don't know if we have enough evidence for that. The forum was free for the longest time. Then, as the membership and usage grew, we outgrew our host at least once if not twice. I seem to recall John saying it was no longer a minor expense for them to pay the host.

The ads are annoying, but I can put up with it since the site is otherwise free to me. However, I would be willing to pay for membership if the ads disappeared.

Motofixxer

Adblock is a good add on for Firefox if your using it. It helps to block a bit with all the random ads. Install it and use a second browser without it and you can compare the blocked ads.

Last edited: