• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10% off NM CHL class for OCDO members

raptor5k

Oh man, I wish I could take a class from you! I just moved to New Mexico from Idaho. I carried everywhere in Idaho, but as NM doesn't honor my permit, I have to get one for here. Unfortunately I'm in Los Alamos, and Las Cruces would be quite a drive, especially two days in a row!

MR Redenck

Hey PT, how long is the NM class. 1 or 2 days?
Im looking into legal issues with me carrying firearms on BLM and federal land while in NM. I read some information about the CCW being a defense to prosecution while on restricted land. The only problem is if the non-resident license will be a defense.

PracticalTactical

Hey PT, how long is the NM class. 1 or 2 days?
Im looking into legal issues with me carrying firearms on BLM and federal land while in NM. I read some information about the CCW being a defense to prosecution while on restricted land. The only problem is if the non-resident license will be a defense.

The course is two days, total of 15 hours of instruction plus lunch breaks and travel time to the range. Unfortunately, if you're looking to get a non-resident permit you're out of luck as NM only does resident permits. If you have someplace you can receive mail and have a utility bill, you can get a NM ID card and get the CHL as a part-year resident.

I've always read and heard that BLM land follows state law in relation to firearms, but they do not recognize any local law or ordinance prohibiting discharge of firearms.

Could you post a link to the info you found?

AH.74

Practical- I would also like to take some instruction from you, if you weren't so far.

Raptor- my instructor lives in the sticks North of Espanola. It wouldn't be terribly far from Los Alamos. If you want to, PM me and I can give you a name and number and you can see if and when he is doing his next weekend course. It's all done at his home, he has a small place to shoot right there as well so it's easy and convenient. He's a pretty good guy.

MR Redenck- as far as I'm aware there are no carry restrictions on BLM land. You can carry open, and if you have a permit that is honored here you can also carry concealed. What shooting restrictions there are will be posted. For instance, in one of the areas in Santa Fe you are not to shoot past a certain line of demarcation which is made clear.

RogueWarrior

The course is two days, total of 15 hours of instruction plus lunch breaks and travel time to the range. Unfortunately, if you're looking to get a non-resident permit you're out of luck as NM only does resident permits. If you have someplace you can receive mail and have a utility bill, you can get a NM ID card and get the CHL as a part-year resident.

I've always read and heard that BLM land follows state law in relation to firearms, but they do not recognize any local law or ordinance prohibiting discharge of firearms.

Could you post a link to the info you found?

Mate you are wrong New Mexico does recognize Non Resident CCW here is a link form handgun law and the New Mexico DPS

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/index.php

For the New Mexico DPS link look about half way down the page

AH.74

Mate you are wrong New Mexico does recognize Non Resident CCW here is a link form handgun law and the New Mexico DPS

Aussie, Practical was pointing out that NM only issues permits to residents, not non-residents.

AH.74

Florida also does non resident permits

As does Arizona. But I would strongly recommend having a permit from your home state. Is it really that big of a deal? You'll have to submit fingerprint cards to any other state regardless for a new background check.

Fingerprint cards are only $5.00 at the state police locations that do them, and the electronic scans are quick and easy and no mess.

Last edited: