• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry Awareness Get-Together? / T-Shirt Design

carsontech

Activist Member
Some say a great writer is one who can get their message across in the shortest amount of words possible. I'm not one of those writers, so bear with me...

As most of you know, open carrying of a firearm is very limited in South Carolina.

My wife and I OC on our property and anyone else's private property that will let us, and OC anytime we are in another state that allows open carrying. We both have SC concealed weapons permits and have just applied for our Arizona permit, to gain some extra states. We can't stand carrying concealed, though, especially after we started carrying openly.

We've been trying to get our gun friends aware of the fact that open carry exists for most of the states in the US, and that constitutional carry is "on the rise", in an effort to get them to help in the fight for constitutional carry. The responses we received were disheartening. During those discussions, we found out which of our "gun friends" were really pro-2nd amendment, who was not, and who was misinformed.

Like most of you, we love how comfortable open carry is, and the fact that open carrying our firearms is a deterrent, and has been proven to be a deterrent. To make up for the non-existent deterrent factor that goes along with carrying a firearm concealed, I open carry my extra magazines when my wardrobe allows. I want to make it obvious I am carrying my firearms. I still want something more, as it seems most people think I'm wearing extra cell phones, instead of magazines.

I wanted to design a T-Shirt for myself that announces that I am carrying, but NOT in a stupid way, like some of the stupid shirts on wearagun.com. I also wanted it to make others aware of constitutional carry, as I believe people should be able to carry anyway they like, unrestricted and unlicensed.

Maybe some other pro open carry SC residents (or anyone, really) may want to do the same thing, as the deterrent factor is nearly non-existent because of how restricted the gun laws are in SC.

Maybe some of us can all make some shirts and get together, in public, for site seeing, a dinner, or something else, to help promote awareness of constitutional carry. You know, get out in public, as a group, and help spread the word, either pro-actively or by someone seeing our shirts and asking us about them.

Of course, there may be a few people who will lash out at us, and possibly even call the cops on us because they think the way were are promoting gun rights is illegal.

Here is my rough draft of a t-shirt design for myself, front and back:

front.jpg

back.jpg

I'm working on replacing the belt and revolvers on the front of the shirt to a more modern looking belt and 1911 or Glock. I'm diggin the back of the T shirt, though, but the patriot on the back may be a bit much. Maybe I need to replace it with something that looks less like like a soldier, maybe something that represents an inanimate object (flag, constitution, etc...)

Others are more than welcome to use or modify this design. I'm just posting this link so you can see my design closer or modify it, I'm not trying to sell anything. If you were to select the shirt, or modify it, and purchase it, I receive no profit, in anyway:

http://www.customink.com/designs/opencarry2/kje0-000k-33gv/hotlink?pc=HL-46120&cm_mmc=hotlink-_-2-_-Body_img-_-designfront

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

John Canuck

Is there any opportunity to pass out handouts a gun shows etc. Without the support of gun owners, we are pretty much stuck. How widespread is the support?

carsontech

Activist Member
Yes, there is the opportunity to make others aware at shows. Renting a booth and setting up informational materials would be the best thing to do at gun shows.

I haven't seen anyone doing that though. Maybe I just I missed the Grass Roots Booths, if they had one, back when they were still active. I never thought to print any material out and hand it out at the shows when I went. I guess I should have helped organize a booth, but my wife was pregnant at the time and I had to take care of her at home. She had a hard time at the gun shows. It was too hard for her seeing all those guns and not being able to shoot them at the range because of how pregnant she was. She loves the range.

We have a little more time on my hands now and we want to be very proactive in getting the word out. Our newborn child still needs more attention than anything else, but we can make time to help secure a pro-second amendment future for him to grow up in. We don't want him, and our other future children, to grow up in a place comparable to Chicago.

As for how the support is, I think there is support all over SC for getting constitutional carry passed, it's just spread thin. Are you on www.palmettoshootersforum.com ? It's one of the local SC gun forums. There are a few OC haters on there, but they're a great group of people.

My screen name is the same on there as it is on here.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
Here are some more designs, I modified the front of the shirts to be more South Carolina oriented:

1911:

SCOC1911.jpg

Link to modify as you wish or to get one:
http://www.customink.com/designs/proofs/kje0-000k-4gsc/front.jpg

Glock:

SCOCGlock.jpg

http://www.customink.com/designs/proofs/kje0-000k-4gh7/front.jpg

Back of Shirt:

SCOCBack.jpg

As I hinted before, I'm trying to search here, and other forums, for an Upstate, SC get together to help get open carry and constitutional carry some recognition here in concealed-carry-only-land.

77zach

@carson

LOVE the avatar, I'd buy one for Florida. Education is key. I thought H3292 ended up with constitutional CC but NO OC. If that's the case, what a huge disappointment. The NRA is not anti-OC, but they certainly aren't pro either. Good luck.

carsontech

Activist Member
Thanks 77zach. I am actually working on one for Florida, and several other states that don't have open carry yet. I will let you know when the Florida OC design is complete and you can let me know what you think.

In other news, I just got back from a gun show here in Greenville, SC, wearing my new OC shirt that is posted above. I had about 6 conversations about it, all with people with booths at the show. The conversations all started with something along the lines of "Nice shirt." Then I would tell them thanks and that we need to get constitutional carry passed so people have a right to carry how they want, openly or concealed.

I kid you not, ALL EXCEPT ONE of the vendors I talked to at the show about my t-shirt used the old argument of losing the element of surprise and getting shot first. The comments came out of no where, the conversations weren't even headed into the reasons why or why not to OC. Only one vendor said people should have the right to choose on how they should carry, but he said he would still carry concealed.

I know I rant about living in SC, but the trip to the gun show today blew my mind on how closed minded people are here.

At least my shirt sparked conversations about OC and constitutional carry. Maybe I made some of the people I encountered actually think about fighting for true freedom, instead following the word of the brainwashed anti-gun/anti-freedom crowd that just so happen to own guns and go to gun shows (which, in my opinions, seems to be about 80% of SC :banghead: ).

Last edited:

Mitch Alderson

North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
People are very closed minded here, kind of a culture shock for me, I just moved here from AZ and I can't say I'm impressed with this whole "southern hospitality", or their gun laws. What could I do to help with this proposed get-together?

Is there any way to get your shirts without paying $30 a piece from the website you posted?

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
People are very closed minded here, kind of a culture shock for me, I just moved here from AZ and I can't say I'm impressed with this whole "southern hospitality", or their gun laws. What could I do to help with this proposed get-together?

Is there any way to get your shirts without paying $30 a piece from the website you posted?

Yea, not everyone is closed minded here, but it seems a majority are.

Anyway, as for the proposed get-together, I have no clue, all I know of is you, one other fellow in this thread, and me that would be taking part in spreading the word. I guess we have to start somewhere. Do you know of anyone else down there in Charleston that would support a Constitutional Carry awareness "event" that is open carry friendly?

As for the shirts, I am trying to find some other screen printers that can do it cheaper. Possibly some one local. A co-worker of mine's father has a screen printing business 30 minutes away from where I work, so I am going to check on prices there.

Also, the place I ordered my design from, you have to order 6 or more shirts for them to do front and back. If less than 6 shirts is ordered they can only do front, unless you tell them you want to sample them for a later order of 6 or more.

The 2 shirts they sent me had way too big of sleeves, so I am having them redo them on better, american made, shirts. The ones I received were from Honduras, too save money.

Last edited:

77zach

I kid you not, ALL EXCEPT ONE of the vendors I talked to at the show about my t-shirt used the old argument of losing the element of surprise and getting shot first. The comments came out of no where, the conversations weren't even headed into the reasons why or why not to OC. Only one vendor said people should have the right to choose on how they should carry, but he said he would still carry concealed.

I know I rant about living in SC, but the trip to the gun show today blew my mind on how closed minded people are here.

It is very frustrating, especially since I view OC as a way to put shackles on the agenda of the anti's. I believe a key part of the backslide of "gun control" since the 90's in this country is shall-issue concealed carry. Lots of people have the permit, live in a state where no permit is required, or know someone who has a permit. It has normalized guns. If 1/200 people OCed on a daily basis, the normalization/celebration/cultural shift would be enormous.

The other reason it's so frustrating is that the reason they give for not OCing is invalid. And, they know it. The real reason they do not OC is that they feel it is socially unacceptable. That if they did it would make it acceptable never enters their heads.

The rest of the world, if they are lucky, have a privilege to own firearms for "sporting purposes." OC flies in the face of that attitude. If OC is socially unacceptable, then we're still losing the war. It might take decades for them to exterminate our gun rights, but victory cannot be declared until OC is generally acceptable in almost all places.

Last edited:

John Canuck

I feel like it will be a long journey. If there is anything I learned from my time in Virginia, it's that it takes a diligent effort. Lobbying and getting support is an effort that needs to start somewhere. If the NRA is the only game in town pushing for constitutional carry, I don't see it happening. (frankly, I'm surprisesd they support it at all.

I vote we just set up a lunch somewhere on a Saturday and get the ball rolling. We can put the word out there and see who shows up.

MKEgal

re: cheaper shirts
I recently discovered www.zazzle.com
Even their highest-quality T-shirt is $23, & the basic is about $15, & they can make all sorts of other stuff.

Heller Kitty shirt:
http://www.zazzle.com/heller_kitty_tshirt-235961332143550242

Heller Kitty button:
http://www.zazzle.com/heller_kitty_button-145614256051232148

And the ever-popular Kalashnikitty shirt:
http://www.zazzle.com/kalashnikitty_tshirt-235386439468939373

Then something I made because I wanted it & couldn't find anyone else who made it...:
Perfectly harmless unless attacked.
Front only: http://www.zazzle.com/perfectly_harmless_tshirt-235151293851611663
2-sided: http://www.zazzle.com/harmless_2_sided_tshirt-235313259017672923

carsontech

Activist Member
I feel like it will be a long journey. If there is anything I learned from my time in Virginia, it's that it takes a diligent effort. Lobbying and getting support is an effort that needs to start somewhere. If the NRA is the only game in town pushing for constitutional carry, I don't see it happening. (frankly, I'm surprisesd they support it at all.

I vote we just set up a lunch somewhere on a Saturday and get the ball rolling. We can put the word out there and see who shows up.

I am about to go on night shift again, so a late lunch, depending on if I'm working the weekend or not, would be cool. During the next week or two, I will be trying to round up some people that might be interested. Then we can decide when and where.

I might also post some handouts and stuff on here so you guys can look them over. You know, OC reading material for South Carolinians that may be interested on why we may be congregating while wearing OC related clothing. Another idea is to wear empty OWB holsters, in plain view, while we're out and about and congregating.

Hell, I wore empty OWB holsters in plain site before, here in SC, to see if it would help strike up conversations on OC... no one seemed noticed, except one person, lol. Maybe I need bigger, more obvious, hoslters. I tried with a nice leather one with a thumb break strap that was made for a officers sized 1911, and once with a BlackHawk Serpa for a Government model 1911. Not one comment, only one long look at the holster from a chick at the receptionist desk at my bank. :lol:

re: cheaper shirts
I recently discovered www.zazzle.com
Even their highest-quality T-shirt is $23, & the basic is about $15, & they can make all sorts of other stuff.

Heller Kitty shirt:
http://www.zazzle.com/heller_kitty_tshirt-235961332143550242

Heller Kitty button:
http://www.zazzle.com/heller_kitty_button-145614256051232148

And the ever-popular Kalashnikitty shirt:
http://www.zazzle.com/kalashnikitty_tshirt-235386439468939373

Then something I made because I wanted it & couldn't find anyone else who made it...:
Perfectly harmless unless attacked.
Front only: http://www.zazzle.com/perfectly_harmless_tshirt-235151293851611663
2-sided: http://www.zazzle.com/harmless_2_sided_tshirt-235313259017672923

Thanks for the recommendation! I have been trying several places, and so far, the editor on the CustomInk site is the best to use.

I like that "Heller Kitty" shirt. I wonder how the guys would think of me if they saw me wearing it, lol? Have you had any reactions to any of those shirts while out and about?

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
You need to get noticed to help get oc in SC? Simple, use the western style holster. Emply ofcourse. Mshl. Dillon strolling down the street will do the trick. We should get this going.

I have been thinking about a nice western style six shooter holster, but it might drive the thought about OC being a "cowboy" thing to the non-OCers out there.

My "I'd Rather Be Open Carrying" shirt and my empty leather thumb snap holster for 1911 got some looks yesterday while I was out looking at vehicles. No conversations were started over it.

As for the get together, I'm still trying to plan things out and get some material ready. I'm trying to think of some places that we can enjoy, food and/or activity wise, that will also be a good place to get out the word about passing constitutional carry.

I may have some time to put together a pamphlet today and tomorrow about open carry, constitutional carry, restaurant carry, the affects of gun free zones, etc. Basically, education material for newbies and "2nd amendment people" alike, but mainly focusing on what SC is lacking to become a state that doesn't infringe on the 2nd amendment rights of it's people.

Last edited:

John Canuck

How about we just pick a date and place and see what happens? If all that happens is a few people show up for breakfast, at least it's a start. It might even lead to a regular thing. Who knows, if the breakfast is successful in the northwest corner of the state, maybe the other two corners of the triangle will follow.

I'll throw this out. How about Saturday the 8th of October somewhere around Clinton. That looks like it's just about the middle of the northwest corner. Anyone else interested.

I'm pretty new to the area, so I don't know a good breakfast spot... Anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
That sounds good, plus there is a range close to Clinton. I don't care where we eat, I like all food.

Armyman and Mitch, what do you guys think. Will you be able to make that, if you're interested? Anyone else interested?

Last edited:

Mr7point62

Here are some more designs, I modified the front of the shirts to be more South Carolina oriented:

1911:

SCOC1911.jpg

http://www.customink.com/designs/proofs/kje0-000k-4gsc/front.jpg

Glock:

SCOCGlock.jpg

http://www.customink.com/designs/proofs/kje0-000k-4gh7/front.jpg

Back of Shirt:

SCOCBack.jpg

As I hinted before, I'm trying to search here, and other forums, for an Upstate, SC get together to help get open carry and constitutional carry some recognition here in concealed-carry-only-land.

Love the front of this shirt....I have had my CWP for almost a year now,but want open carry in SC.....I want to join the fight....How?