Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone open carry a revolver?

Does anyone open carry a revolver?

Does anyone open carry a revolver? I am curious about your gun and setup. What holster do you use? What do you carry your spare ammo in and who made it?

I've been looking for a revolver holster along the lines of the Safariland ALS. I want more retention than just a snap.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Howdy Amigo!
    The only revolver I have is a Judge with a 3" cylinder. It is among the largest of the Judge line.
    There is a local fellow who will make custom holsters for various handguns.
    He had one with a Judge in it.
    He put it on.
    Concealed it under his clothing.
    I was totally surprised how it was nearly impossible to detect.
    Hence, with my brand new CCW permit....
    I may carry the Judge now and again.
    Haven't yet, but predict it will be in my future!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

I don't often any more in the city. Nowadays, the times that I open carry, it's the Kimber 1911. For concealed carry, it's the same and/or a S&W Model 340PD AirLite .357 Magnum, though. That one stays concealed even when the Kimber is out in the open. So, I guess you could really say I am sometimes carrying a revolver at the times that I am open-carrying!

In the rural areas, which is fairly often in my many travels, my preferred piece is still my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt (7-1/2"), usually open carried in either a tight (not sagging) cartridge loop belt and holster or a Safariland vertical shoulder holster (from back when they still made real leather.)

Many years ago, my primary open and concealed carry piece was a S&W Model 19-7 from the Performance Center, called a K-Comp. 3" heavy ported barrel with compensator and SMOOTH trigger.

I rarely carry extra ammunition on my person. There's an entire debate there.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-02-2011 at 01:55 AM.

M-T: Does your local contact have a website?

MAC: What leather do you use for your 340?
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Leather? Ha! I carry that S&W M340PD in a $5 used Uncle Mike's IWB clipped into a cowboy boot or appendix carry. The Vaquero gets all the pretty leather.

Daily carry is a Taurus Tracker 455 in .45acp, in a custom ('cause nobody made a holster specifically for it and I do not like generic almost-fit holsters) zero-cant belt slide with a retention strap, and two "stellar" clips (their name for the moon clip) carried in a cheap nylon speedloader pouch. For dressier occassions any of a number of 1917s (3-inch to 6-inch barrel) with fancy stocks in various zero-cant leather holsters, and four full-moon clips carried in a leather speedloader carrier. (It's an old-time trick to put 2 moon clips in each pouch part.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Sometimes I carry a Ruger GP100 .357, stainless steel 4" barrel, in a leather Bianchi holster. It's a three loop holster with a simple retention snap but it also holds the weapon very tightly and also snug against the body. I also usually carry two speed-loaders in a speed-loader pouch for some reason.

I will sometimes carry my SP101 (.357) in a leather belt holster, although I forget the brand. It is usually my "car" gun though and I keep it as backup in a convenient spot.

I will open carry my Judge w/ 6.5" barrel on special occasions such as an open carry meet and greet , outoodr OC picnic, etc., local grocery store. The only way I would consider concealed carry would be for a shoulder holster that would hold the firearm vertically with the barrel facing down. I would get the kind that has the extra "Mag." pouches opposite of the firarm and "modify" the pouches to carry speed loaders.

I use a black nylon (long) holster w/ retention strap. Carry extra rounds in a black leather case designed to carry ammo. opposite my strongarm side. Both .45 Cal. and 410 shells fit into it similar to a shotgun shell holder / belt...

As soon as money allows, I am planning on a couple of speed loaders with holders that attache to a belt, but speed loaders are not a priority as it is not my firearm of choice for daily carry.

Another point... I have notice that some above (including myself) carry their revolvers "occasionally" I make it a point to "practice" my draw with the (unloaded) revolver as well as at shooting it at the range. Last thing anyone needs is to need your sidearm "in a hurry" an fumble the draw from only carrying occasionally....

Just sayin...

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 08-01-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

I carry a Smith and Wesson model 10, .38 Special, in a Bianchi 111 cyclone holster. For extra cartridges, I wear 2 6 loop belt slides that I got from El Paso Saddlery on my belt. El Paso Saddlery has a wide variety of holster styles as well as cartridge slides and speed loader carriers. It's worth checking out.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/
    Last edited by Huck; 08-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

My only carry pistol is a 3" barrel FN Barracuda in .357. I carry it in this holster: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VOBVBE cross draw at about 10/11 oclock. One speedloader for a SW K frame in my left front pocket. I found the SW speedloader doesn't match quite like I wanted so I'll have to make my own once I get some time hopefully in the next few weeks.

I most frequently carry a 6" colt in a Ross leather hunting holster (full cover)

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    .38 spl Military/Police. Black nylon holster I picked up for $20 at Scheels. Usually wear it cross-draw style because it's more comforatable, and it's easier for me to guard the grip of the weapon. Also makes it a little easier to draw while sitting in a car.

Not my ideal setup, but it's what I can afford at the moment. Eventually I want to get something more like this

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/pssys/ps6dasys.html

although I kinda like this holster better:

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/pssys/ps6dasr3.html
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Out in the sticks, my .357 Blackhawk is a nice companion. If I were worried about 4 legged potential threats, it would be the .44mag Blackhawk. Both 50th Anniversary models. Carry my Smith 586 once in a while, as well. Vast majority of the time, one of my Hi-Powers or SIG 1911s, though. I have a cowboy rig from Gates for the Blackhawks and use a Hunter for the Smith, btw. Fobus and Blade-Tech for the autos.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 08-02-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

I carry my 6" ruger security six 357 mag. when I think I may need/get to shoot something 4 legged on the farm. I don't carry this daily for personal defense, but it fills that roll quite efficiently when I do carry it. All other times I carry my ruger sr9c either open or concealed depending on where I am going and what I feel like doing that day.
    Last edited by Coach Ike; 08-02-2011 at 09:42 PM.

I have very occasionally carried my Rossi R461 in .357. When I do I use a leather Galco paddle holster.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Activist Member
    I carry an S&W 620 in a Galco Highrise holster.

I sometimes carry my Colt Detective special in a JB holster.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

I sometimes open carry

a Smith & Wesson model 36 or a Ruger Security Six. Just depends on where I am going and what I am doing

carry revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gatz View Post
    My only carry pistol is a 3" barrel FN Barracuda in .357. I carry it in this holster: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VOBVBE cross draw at about 10/11 oclock. One speedloader for a SW K frame in my left front pocket. I found the SW speedloader doesn't match quite like I wanted so I'll have to make my own once I get some time hopefully in the next few weeks.
    I CARRY RUGER GP100 4in. S/S

Generally, no; I carry semi-automatic, recoil-operated, locked-breech pistol(s) day-to-day. If I'm out in the wilderness, either trail-riding, hiking, fishing, or hunting, you might see me OC'ing a .44 magnum revolver.

Well...I carry OWB .357 Ruger GP100 4"....not OC though.

anyone know of a good pancake style cros draw for a ruger GP100?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by 230therapy View Post
    Does anyone open carry a revolver? I am curious about your gun and setup. What holster do you use? What do you carry your spare ammo in and who made it?

I've been looking for a revolver holster along the lines of the Safariland ALS. I want more retention than just a snap.
    I do O.C. a 44 magnum every day,and I make my own holsters, and I engarve them with lots of designs,it is heavy but I like it, and everybody notice it when I walk in downtown Boise every friday,and I been stopped many times and been asked what caliber and why do I carry in the open, and I do have the answer for all those questions.

I have a 4.5" Ruger Security Six in .357 Magnum that I sometimes carry in a cheap nylon holster.

Android + Tapatalk

Depending on my mood, dress and destination:
    A Taurus 605.357 in a Gould & Goodrich paddle, A S&W M-66 .357 in a brown Tex Shoemaker paddle, or black Safariland paddle, a S&W M-640 in a brown or black Tex Shoemaker paddle.
    Extra reloads, sometimes, in a Bianchi speed strip or brown Bucheimer or black Don Hume covered 6 round belt slide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast