• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone open carry a revolver?

230therapy

Does anyone open carry a revolver? I am curious about your gun and setup. What holster do you use? What do you carry your spare ammo in and who made it?

I've been looking for a revolver holster along the lines of the Safariland ALS. I want more retention than just a snap.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
The only revolver I have is a Judge with a 3" cylinder. It is among the largest of the Judge line.
There is a local fellow who will make custom holsters for various handguns.
He had one with a Judge in it.
He put it on.
Concealed it under his clothing.
I was totally surprised how it was nearly impossible to detect.
Hence, with my brand new CCW permit....
I may carry the Judge now and again.
Haven't yet, but predict it will be in my future!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't often any more in the city. Nowadays, the times that I open carry, it's the Kimber 1911. For concealed carry, it's the same and/or a S&W Model 340PD AirLite .357 Magnum, though. That one stays concealed even when the Kimber is out in the open. So, I guess you could really say I am sometimes carrying a revolver at the times that I am open-carrying!

In the rural areas, which is fairly often in my many travels, my preferred piece is still my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt (7-1/2"), usually open carried in either a tight (not sagging) cartridge loop belt and holster or a Safariland vertical shoulder holster (from back when they still made real leather.)

Many years ago, my primary open and concealed carry piece was a S&W Model 19-7 from the Performance Center, called a K-Comp. 3" heavy ported barrel with compensator and SMOOTH trigger.

I rarely carry extra ammunition on my person. There's an entire debate there.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Leather? Ha! I carry that S&W M340PD in a $5 used Uncle Mike's IWB clipped into a cowboy boot or appendix carry. The Vaquero gets all the pretty leather.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Daily carry is a Taurus Tracker 455 in .45acp, in a custom ('cause nobody made a holster specifically for it and I do not like generic almost-fit holsters) zero-cant belt slide with a retention strap, and two "stellar" clips (their name for the moon clip) carried in a cheap nylon speedloader pouch. For dressier occassions any of a number of 1917s (3-inch to 6-inch barrel) with fancy stocks in various zero-cant leather holsters, and four full-moon clips carried in a leather speedloader carrier. (It's an old-time trick to put 2 moon clips in each pouch part.)

stay safe.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Sometimes I carry a Ruger GP100 .357, stainless steel 4" barrel, in a leather Bianchi holster. It's a three loop holster with a simple retention snap but it also holds the weapon very tightly and also snug against the body. I also usually carry two speed-loaders in a speed-loader pouch for some reason.

Outdoorsman1

I will open carry my Judge w/ 6.5" barrel on special occasions such as an open carry meet and greet , outoodr OC picnic, etc., local grocery store. The only way I would consider concealed carry would be for a shoulder holster that would hold the firearm vertically with the barrel facing down. I would get the kind that has the extra "Mag." pouches opposite of the firarm and "modify" the pouches to carry speed loaders.

I use a black nylon (long) holster w/ retention strap. Carry extra rounds in a black leather case designed to carry ammo. opposite my strongarm side. Both .45 Cal. and 410 shells fit into it similar to a shotgun shell holder / belt...

As soon as money allows, I am planning on a couple of speed loaders with holders that attache to a belt, but speed loaders are not a priority as it is not my firearm of choice for daily carry.

Another point... I have notice that some above (including myself) carry their revolvers "occasionally" I make it a point to "practice" my draw with the (unloaded) revolver as well as at shooting it at the range. Last thing anyone needs is to need your sidearm "in a hurry" an fumble the draw from only carrying occasionally....

Just sayin...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Huck

I carry a Smith and Wesson model 10, .38 Special, in a Bianchi 111 cyclone holster. For extra cartridges, I wear 2 6 loop belt slides that I got from El Paso Saddlery on my belt. El Paso Saddlery has a wide variety of holster styles as well as cartridge slides and speed loader carriers. It's worth checking out.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/

Last edited:

frommycolddeadhands

.38 spl Military/Police. Black nylon holster I picked up for $20 at Scheels. Usually wear it cross-draw style because it's more comforatable, and it's easier for me to guard the grip of the weapon. Also makes it a little easier to draw while sitting in a car.

Not my ideal setup, but it's what I can afford at the moment. Eventually I want to get something more like this

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/pssys/ps6dasys.html

although I kinda like this holster better:

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/pssys/ps6dasr3.html

Gunslinger

Out in the sticks, my .357 Blackhawk is a nice companion. If I were worried about 4 legged potential threats, it would be the .44mag Blackhawk. Both 50th Anniversary models. Carry my Smith 586 once in a while, as well. Vast majority of the time, one of my Hi-Powers or SIG 1911s, though. I have a cowboy rig from Gates for the Blackhawks and use a Hunter for the Smith, btw. Fobus and Blade-Tech for the autos.

Last edited:

Coach Ike

I carry my 6" ruger security six 357 mag. when I think I may need/get to shoot something 4 legged on the farm. I don't carry this daily for personal defense, but it fills that roll quite efficiently when I do carry it. All other times I carry my ruger sr9c either open or concealed depending on where I am going and what I feel like doing that day.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have very occasionally carried my Rossi R461 in .357. When I do I use a leather Galco paddle holster.

357ruger

carry revolver

My only carry pistol is a 3" barrel FN Barracuda in .357. I carry it in this holster: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VOBVBE cross draw at about 10/11 oclock. One speedloader for a SW K frame in my left front pocket. I found the SW speedloader doesn't match quite like I wanted so I'll have to make my own once I get some time hopefully in the next few weeks.

I CARRY RUGER GP100 4in. S/S