• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone open carry a revolver?

virginiatuck

Generally, no; I carry semi-automatic, recoil-operated, locked-breech pistol(s) day-to-day. If I'm out in the wilderness, either trail-riding, hiking, fishing, or hunting, you might see me OC'ing a .44 magnum revolver.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Well...I carry OWB .357 Ruger GP100 4"....not OC though.

anyone know of a good pancake style cros draw for a ruger GP100?

ISRAEL

Does anyone open carry a revolver? I am curious about your gun and setup. What holster do you use? What do you carry your spare ammo in and who made it?

I've been looking for a revolver holster along the lines of the Safariland ALS. I want more retention than just a snap.

I do O.C. a 44 magnum every day,and I make my own holsters, and I engarve them with lots of designs,it is heavy but I like it, and everybody notice it when I walk in downtown Boise every friday,and I been stopped many times and been asked what caliber and why do I carry in the open, and I do have the answer for all those questions.

AirBear

Depending on my mood, dress and destination:
A Taurus 605.357 in a Gould & Goodrich paddle, A S&W M-66 .357 in a brown Tex Shoemaker paddle, or black Safariland paddle, a S&W M-640 in a brown or black Tex Shoemaker paddle.
Extra reloads, sometimes, in a Bianchi speed strip or brown Bucheimer or black Don Hume covered 6 round belt slide.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've carried a .44 Ruger Redhawk in a simple nylon snap holster while backpacking and camping. I've also carried my .44 black powder revolver in a leather holster a couple of times, including this past Frontier Days.

The latter was for show, and as there's no retention, it was unloaded. My CC weapon, however, was loaded.

Daylen

I heard not long ago about a guy who OCs a peacemaker. even got in a shootout with a criminal and used it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I heard not long ago about a guy who OCs a peacemaker. even got in a shootout with a criminal and used it.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...fferson-Davis-Highway&highlight=Golden+Market and then

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...hooter-in-Richmond-VA&highlight=Golden+Market and then

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...olden-Market-Shooting&highlight=Golden+Market

He's still there. So's the owner. But it is even more unsafe for anyone to try an armed robbery there.:eek:

stay safe.

Fisherman

When I lived in Louisiana in the early '80's and just at the end of the "silly seventies", I would sometimes carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" in a western style belt and holster. Never had any problems.

DrakeZ07

I often OC my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long-colt; with a 5.5" barrel and a cheap single strap holster. Works fine for me, keep it at the 2 o'clock position. Keep extra ammo in my pocket with my keys and change :D

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I have posted about carrying S&W model 36 or a Model 337

I often OC my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long-colt; with a 5.5" barrel and a cheap single strap holster. Works fine for me, keep it at the 2 o'clock position. Keep extra ammo in my pocket with my keys and change :D

I carried a Taurus Titanium 637 6.5 inch 7 shot .357 up in Alaska, and had an old Sentinal 9 shot .22 for small game.

tyc

Does anyone open carry a revolver? I am curious about your gun and setup. What holster do you use? What do you carry your spare ammo in and who made it?

I've been looking for a revolver holster along the lines of the Safariland ALS. I want more retention than just a snap.

I often carry my "New Army" revolver in a cross draw rig I bought the other year. Sometimes I use the Civil War flap holster rig I also bought for the Uberti (black powder) but I prefer the cross draw more.

Hope this helps.

tyc

tomrkba

I often carry my "New Army" revolver in a cross draw rig I bought the other year. Sometimes I use the Civil War flap holster rig I also bought for the Uberti (black powder) but I prefer the cross draw more.

Hope this helps.

tyc

Why do you choose to carry a single action black powder revolver for self-defense?

tomrkba

I do O.C. a 44 magnum every day,and I make my own holsters, and I engarve them with lots of designs,it is heavy but I like it, and everybody notice it when I walk in downtown Boise every friday,and I been stopped many times and been asked what caliber and why do I carry in the open, and I do have the answer for all those questions.

I don't foresee too many problems in Boise, Idaho with open carry. I don't know how liberal it's become in the past decade, but I imagine "liberal" in Boise means "merely hardcore conservative".

Have you posted photos of your work?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Why do you choose to carry a single action black powder revolver for self-defense?

Why not? As long as the weapon is properly loaded, and cared for they are very reliable. I used to shoot SASS with two Navies, I had less problem with mine than did some of the people with cartridge guns. The Army is a 45 caliber ball, or ballet at approx 800fps, not to mention that is sets fire to anyone close enough. I certainly would not be stupid enough to underestimate a cap and ball revolver.

tomrkba

Why not? As long as the weapon is properly loaded, and cared for they are very reliable. I used to shoot SASS with two Navies, I had less problem with mine than did some of the people with cartridge guns. The Army is a 45 caliber ball, or ballet at approx 800fps, not to mention that is sets fire to anyone close enough. I certainly would not be stupid enough to underestimate a cap and ball revolver.

I was just curious. Ballistics should be fine with a big and slow bullet.

I thought about this for a bit and two reasons why NOT to carry a cap and ball revolver include: slow reload time and smoke. What does the smoke cloud look like inside a range after 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 shots? Does the cloud from five shots indoors completely obscure vision? I'd definitely carry a second gun if my primary were a BP weapon.

Either way, carry what you want. I won't turn down your help if something ever happens!