• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Working Tonight in Montbello!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I am working tonight in Montbello. Several of my colleagues have been assualted, robbed and beaten in that neighborhood at night.
Since I haven't got much choice but to be there after dark, I am determined to be particularly watchful when doing my errands there.

Our company policy does not permit carry, concealed or otherwise, at all. In fact, we aren't supposed to have a weapon in our vehicle.
One such driver was beaten in Aurora, by several men with baseball bats. Last I heard of him, he was still in a coma at the hospital 6 months after the attack. At least he obeyed company policy!

Meanwhile, I will be extremely wary and running around on orange alert tonight.
It is also very possible that I may violate corporate policy, but I'll never admit it.

Will letcha all know if I survive the shift.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

livetrapper13

In the few places I am not allowed to carry I usually slip a fixed blade in my boot (along with the usual Buck and CRKT folders I always carry). Not to much 'insurance', but better than nothing. Then again it is better to be caught with it than caught without it! Stay safe.

mahkagari

Then again it is better to be caught with it than caught without it! Stay safe.

Hear, hear. I'd weigh my options. What are the odds of getting caught by your employer with your weapon vs. caught by an assailant without it? If you get caught by your employer you get canned and a "non-rehirable" record to future employers. If you get caught by an assailant, well, getting fired would be the least of my worries.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I survived my evening in Montbello last night. Didn't earn very much, nor did I work as late as expected.
All of which suited me okay.

When a corporation sends their people into hostile territory (as evidenced by a high crime rate) while denying them the right to self defense as a matter of policy, then that corporation should be culpable if the employee is injured or killed while working for said corporation while denied the right to self defense by said policy. That's my opinion.

It puts an employee in the situation where they are faced with violating the corporate policy, thus possibly getting fired if caught;
or the employee complying with the corporate policy and running the risk of injury or loss of life.
To simplify:
Get fired for violating policy, or get dead at the hands of some assailant.
Hmmmmm tough choice. Hard to decide the right thing to do.
I guess I could get another job if I lost this one. After all, I was looking for a job when I found this one.
But unless reincarnation pans out, getting another life ain't nearly so easy.
I can get another job.
I can't get another life.
So hard to decide what's right!
[/sarcasm off]

You may be wondering what my choice was.
On that one, I'll plead the 5th Amendment.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

mace_gel_80269_1.jpg

It goes where my gun can't. ;)

Attachments

• mace_gel_80269_1.jpg
    mace_gel_80269_1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 71

Gunslinger

Howdy Folks!
I survived my evening in Montbello last night. Didn't earn very much, nor did I work as late as expected.
All of which suited me okay.

When a corporation sends their people into hostile territory (as evidenced by a high crime rate) while denying them the right to self defense as a matter of policy, then that corporation should be culpable if the employee is injured or killed while working for said corporation while denied the right to self defense by said policy. That's my opinion.

It puts an employee in the situation where they are faced with violating the corporate policy, thus possibly getting fired if caught;
or the employee complying with the corporate policy and running the risk of injury or loss of life.
To simplify:
Get fired for violating policy, or get dead at the hands of some assailant.
Hmmmmm tough choice. Hard to decide the right thing to do.
I guess I could get another job if I lost this one. After all, I was looking for a job when I found this one.
But unless reincarnation pans out, getting another life ain't nearly so easy.
I can get another job.
I can't get another life.
So hard to decide what's right!
[/sarcasm off]

You may be wondering what my choice was.
On that one, I'll plead the 5th Amendment.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Where the hell is Montbello? Many fine concealment holsters out there--ankle is undetectable, I hear. Not that you should violate company policy that puts your life at risk. Of course not...

M-Taliesin

Where the hell is Montbello? Many fine concealment holsters out there--ankle is undetectable, I hear. Not that you should violate company policy that puts your life at risk. Of course not...

Howdy Gunslinger!
Montbello is that area between I-70 to the south to 56th avenue to the north, bounded by Peoria on the west and Chambers on the east.
We've had a number of drivers robbed and assaulted in that area, and now there are parts we just won't go.

Meanwhile,...
Me? Violate company policy? Heavens no! Would I do such a thing? Gods forbid! (chortle!)

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Diocoles

Montebello is mostly the upper north side of Aurora, northside of 170 and Peoria more or less.

GI home from Iraq, stopped at a motel there on the way home. Gunned down in the street.

No leads. Last week I think it was.

Cops are afraid of the area. They've been shot in their cars.

Bunch of sick people living up in that area, also a lot of warehousing, manufacturing and distribution.

Lots of places to .... hang.

M-Taliesin

Montebello is mostly the upper north side of Aurora, northside of 170 and Peoria more or less.

Howdy Pard!
Mostly correct, except that Montbello is actually in Denver. Don't give it to us! Aurora doesn't need that little slice of paradise!

The worst places are the apartment complexes in Montbello. Going there unarmed is a little like being a nudist while working at the zoo in the porcupine enclosure!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

mace_gel_80269_1.jpg

It goes where my gun can't. ;)

Howdy Amigo!
Yeah, that's nice and all.... but still would violate corporate policy.
Their stance: No weapons of any type.
Cooperate with the bad guy, offer no resistence.
Just give them what they want, and they'll go away.

Nuts to that. We've had people beaten, crippled, maimed and killed adhering to that particular policy.
And if I ever did violate corporate policy (not saying I would ever dream of doing such a thing, mind you)
I'd prefer to violate that policy at 1,200 feet per second!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin