• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time flying with firearm

MKEgal

Out of curiosity, and following on the discussion of taking an important part of the pistol with you so even if it's stolen it's unusable...

Since under the law only the receiver is a 'firearm', everything else that makes up the pistol should be legal in carry-on luggage, right?

So if I were ever to fly commercial again, I could conceivably take the barrel, or even the slide (why would I? it weighs more) in my carryon. I'm sure it would cause some discussion, but can someone point out a law which says it's illegal?

Motofixxer

Hmm it might be fun to take the chunk of plastic that might resemble a firearm in their hand and transport it through the checkpoint. But I would really hate to get on the no fly list for that. They are privately operated and can refuse you to board for any reason. That could certainly be made into a reason.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Anyone have any experience carrying holsters/mag pouches in their carry-on luggage? On my current trip, it would be more convenient for me to reduce bulk in my main suitcase. I imagine it might cause some heartburn to the little Napoleons at the security checkpoint, but there's nothing against regulation is there?

azcdlfred

Out of curiosity, and following on the discussion of taking an important part of the pistol with you so even if it's stolen it's unusable... Since under the law only the receiver is a 'firearm', everything else that makes up the pistol should be legal in carry-on luggage, right? So if I were ever to fly commercial again, I could conceivably take the barrel, or even the slide (why would I? it weighs more) in my carryon. I'm sure it would cause some discussion, but can someone point out a law which says it's illegal?
The barrel is smaller. If you are uncomfortable with that, try the recoil spring assembly, or the recoil spring if it's not all one unit.

Like I mentioned before, I would also disassemble the gun (like for cleaning) when I put it my gun case. It was less scary looking to those who had to examine it.

Fred

ericf

Under federal law, the key that provides access to your firearm may not be out of your control.
A good reason for a combination lock.
So if they ask to have it, or insist that they must have it, they're enticing you to commit a federal crime.
Just say no. It helps to have a copy of the law, preferably rubber-banded around the case, with the pertinent portions highlighted.

Here's an article by the NRA-ILA...

MKEgal,

When I wrote "in case they need the key" I should have written "in case they need me to open the case with the key." I know the procedure but left ambiguity, unfortunately. Thank you for posting the information, though.

BTW, in PHL airport Sunday, for the first time I've experienced, the agent at the luggage check-in counter asked me to *show her* the empty chamber in my Glock I was declaring in my checked baggage. Very strange doing this at the front of the luggage check-in line.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

BTW, in PHL airport Sunday, for the first time I've experienced, the agent at the luggage check-in counter asked me to *show her* the empty chamber in my Glock I was declaring in my checked baggage. Very strange doing this at the front of the luggage check-in line.

They always used to do this with me when I began flying with firearms regularly back in 2005 or so, but it hasn't happened in the last couple of years. Very odd, especially considering that most of the airline personnel know next to nothing about firearms.