Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Should I open carry this?

  1. #1
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Should I open carry this?








    BATFE said Angled Fore Grip is legal on a pistol, so I went for it...


    I'm just concerned with having it slung...

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    No.
    Live Free or Die!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    60
    The ZooPals pink plate, sure Parks.

    The AR Pistol, LOL! Nice though! Daddy Likey!

  4. #4
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Only if it fits in a holster.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  5. #5
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398
    Custom thigh rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  6. #6
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    I actually know a guy who made a thigh holster for a Tec9 so I could easily see this in a thigh holster. Go for it.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    I predict a thread-lock in 5...4...3...

    14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Schlepnier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Yelm, Washington USA
    Posts
    419

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I predict a thread-lock in 5...4...3...

    14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.
    Except you are incorrect this is NOT a long gun. the AR pistol is in fact under the NFA classed as a "pistol" weapon and thus legal to open carry as a holsted pistol weapon.

    As a matter of practicality to the OP, i own an olympic arms AR pistol as well, however i could not see the practical carry of it with a 30rd mag dues to the inconvenient erganomics, perhaps with a 5 or 10 rnd capacity it could be do-able.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

  9. #9
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I predict a thread-lock in 5...4...3...

    14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.
    Sorry Citizen but this firearm is viewed legally as a Pistol. Therefore it is not a Long Gun. Practical??? Perhaps not. But still not one of the "Banned Discussion Items".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  10. #10
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398
    Advantage in vehicle!!!!! With CPL of course.


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Sorry Citizen but this firearm is viewed legally as a Pistol. Therefore it is not a Long Gun. Practical??? Perhaps not. But still not one of the "Banned Discussion Items".
    Emphasis on the first sentence of the rule:...properly holstered handguns in daily American life...

    Of course its not a long arm. But, I have a feeling its not going to sneak under the bar as a holstered gun carried in daily American life.

  12. #12
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Emphasis on the first sentence of the rule:...properly holstered handguns in daily American life...

    Of course its not a long arm. But, I have a feeling its not going to sneak under the bar as a holstered gun carried in daily American life.
    Do you know for a fact that there is not a proper holster for it? On that note, who determines what a proper holster is?

    I'm sure there are those, given the challenge, that could and would carry one of these openly in a holster in their daily life. And they won't necessarily be employed as Secret Service Agents or in Executive Protection.


    FWIW, it only took me approximately .5 seconds to find this:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkoyCgxqojI
    Last edited by amlevin; 07-31-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    While it may be legal, I agree with others who say it is not practical. While I don't know if it is a rule violation I would agree with Citizen's comment about it not being normal carry in a holster.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  14. #14
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276
    I think you should not openly carry that firearm. It should be in a pack while you openly carry a standard handgun. The reason is that we're ambassadors for the right to keep and bear arms. People will believe it to be a super-ninja attack assault murder destruction killer weapon. While WE know it's not, the point is to normalize the carrying of guns in society.

    But...I'm also a super-advocate of carry. If you MUST carry that gun, then ensure that the holster you carry it in retains it properly. I do suggest a Level 2 or 3 type of retention system. It MUST be secure in the holster such that it won't fall out.
    Last edited by 230therapy; 07-31-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

  15. #15
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086
    People take things WAY too seriously.








    I do plan on open carrying it..



    ..... in the mountains..


  16. #16
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Emphasis on the first sentence of the rule:...properly holstered handguns in daily American life...

    Of course its not a long arm. But, I have a feeling its not going to sneak under the bar as a holstered gun carried in daily American life.
    If we followed that rule "to the letter" as you're trying to push, we all might as well just sell our OWB holsters and close this site.

    Open Carry is not a "daily American life" activity... we are currently a small minority, even in the gun community, so to try and poo-poo someone for their method of carry and even moreso for the type of HANDGUN that they choose to carry is a shameful way to conduct yourself here and detrimental to the open carry movement as a whole.

    If we were to carry your argument further, one could argue that "saturday night specials" are unsafe due to their cheap manufacture and since they are not commonly carried by firearm enthusiasts, they're not part of "daily American life" and so we should prohibit their open carry.... Oh, wait, Sarah Brady made that same argument. Hrm... how's it feel to be on that same level, Citizen?........
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  17. #17
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    But, I have a feeling its not going to sneak under the bar as a holstered gun carried in daily American life.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    While I don't know if it is a rule violation I would agree with Citizen's comment about it not being normal carry in a holster.
    Maybe it should be normal.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    82
    The custom thigh holster in the vid is useless. The time that is takes for you to draw that big hulk of a thing you'll be done.

    Remember the 20ft running myth? Yeah, proved.

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    Maybe it should be normal.
    I have no problem with it, I think normal should be what ever someone is comfortable with as long as he isn't causing physical harm to anyone else.


    To the others:

    Citizen didn't say it was his opinion just made a prediction.

    I have seen other "Pistol" threads closed when they were made from what is normally long gun components.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  20. #20
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I have no problem with it, I think normal should be what ever someone is comfortable with as long as he isn't causing physical harm to anyone else.


    To the others:

    Citizen didn't say it was his opinion just made a prediction.

    I have seen other "Pistol" threads closed when they were made from what is normally long gun components.

    When I read your first sentence I thought that for once we'd be in total agreement

    Then I read your last sentence

    In order to make a legal "AR Pistol" one needs to have a lower that started out as a "Pistol" lower. It is therefore a Pistol. Just because it is twice as long as what some consider a normal pistol doesn't make it a "Long Gun", just a "Longer Pistol"

    I find it interesting that a group which hates to be told what they can or can't do would try and tell someone what they should or shouldn't carry. My feeling is "Carry what you want as long as you can do it safely and legally".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  21. #21
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    When I read your first sentence I thought that for once we'd be in total agreement

    Then I read your last sentence

    In order to make a legal "AR Pistol" one needs to have a lower that started out as a "Pistol" lower. It is therefore a Pistol. Just because it is twice as long as what some consider a normal pistol doesn't make it a "Long Gun", just a "Longer Pistol"

    I find it interesting that a group which hates to be told what they can or can't do would try and tell someone what they should or shouldn't carry. My feeling is "Carry what you want as long as you can do it safely and legally".
    I agree, I didn't word that correctly. Was trying to point out I had seen similar threads closed about similar subjects. And that Citizen was simply trying to point that out too.

    I also agree whole heartedly with your last sentence.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137

    the point is to normalize the carrying of guns in society.

    YES, that's the ticket!!

  23. #23
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    While an AR pistol may not be the most practical EDC weapon, I bet TW has fun shooting it. Here is a picture from Capitol Forest shoot on Sunday. Would this be considered a "long gun":
    http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...s/c108de02.jpg
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  24. #24
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    While an AR pistol may not be the most practical EDC weapon, I bet TW has fun shooting it. Here is a picture from Capitol Forest shoot on Sunday. Would this be considered a "long gun":
    http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...s/c108de02.jpg
    Probably not but at a pistol competition they may make you take two steps back
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  25. #25
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    In order to make a legal "AR Pistol" one needs to have a lower that started out as a "Pistol" lower. It is therefore a Pistol. Just because it is twice as long as what some consider a normal pistol doesn't make it a "Long Gun", just a "Longer Pistol"

    .

    Actually, all you need is a lower that's never been assembled as a rifle......receivers are transferred as 'other' on 4473, and i don't need to do state pistol paperwork when i buy it either, as it's not a pistol yet, just a receiver.

    I did, however, do the transfer paperwork, so if an unknowing LEO runs it, it'll come back as a pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •