• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I open carry this?

sudden valley gunner

When I read your first sentence I thought that for once we'd be in total agreement:)

Then I read your last sentence;)

In order to make a legal "AR Pistol" one needs to have a lower that started out as a "Pistol" lower. It is therefore a Pistol. Just because it is twice as long as what some consider a normal pistol doesn't make it a "Long Gun", just a "Longer Pistol";);)

I find it interesting that a group which hates to be told what they can or can't do would try and tell someone what they should or shouldn't carry. My feeling is "Carry what you want as long as you can do it safely and legally".

I agree, I didn't word that correctly. Was trying to point out I had seen similar threads closed about similar subjects. And that Citizen was simply trying to point that out too.

I also agree whole heartedly with your last sentence. :D

TechnoWeenie

In order to make a legal "AR Pistol" one needs to have a lower that started out as a "Pistol" lower. It is therefore a Pistol. Just because it is twice as long as what some consider a normal pistol doesn't make it a "Long Gun", just a "Longer Pistol";);)

Actually, all you need is a lower that's never been assembled as a rifle......receivers are transferred as 'other' on 4473, and i don't need to do state pistol paperwork when i buy it either, as it's not a pistol yet, just a receiver.

I did, however, do the transfer paperwork, so if an unknowing LEO runs it, it'll come back as a pistol.

amlevin

Actually, all you need is a lower that's never been assembled as a rifle......receivers are transferred as 'other' on 4473, and i don't need to do state pistol paperwork when i buy it either, as it's not a pistol yet, just a receiver.

I did, however, do the transfer paperwork, so if an unknowing LEO runs it, it'll come back as a pistol.

My point was that one can't just take a Rifle, remove the stock, put a short barrel on it, and "Instant chango presto" it's a pistol.

Metalhead47

Jiminy jumped up cricket the guy asks a simple tongue-in-cheek question and we're onto the second page in less than 24 hours!

View attachment 6515

Techno:

No, of course you should not open carry that. You should sell it and buy a proper not-quite-almost-but-technically rifle-caliber pistol:

images

;):p:rolleyes:

tombrewster421

You carry that and I'll carry this at the next get together.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312241425.893630.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312241425.893630.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 83

tombrewster421

Sure, you buyin? ;)

The ideal "Truck gun" if you ask me. Can lawfully store it loaded so the magazine won't go AWOL, and being an AK, won't notice a bit bounding around behind the seat will all the tools, dirt, & junk that generally accrete in a truck's nether-regions.

Yup, I can't wait to go shoot the thing. I picked it up last Wednesday, got the muzzle brake for it at the WAC show, and now I just need to get a sling and some extra mags.

jeeper1

tombrewster421, make sure you have very good hearing protection when you do.
I shot mine a couple of days ago and silencio ear muffs were not enough for me. I should have used ear plugs also.
120 rounds in 15 minutes had the gun smoking, the outside had oil on it. I also bump fired 2 mag loads thru it, that was a blast and a half.
The muzzle flash is cool too.

sudden valley gunner

I shot mine a couple of days ago and silencio ear muffs were not enough for me. I should have used ear plugs also.
120 rounds in 15 minutes had the gun smoking, the outside had oil on it. I also bump fired 2 mag loads thru it, that was a blast and a half.

You know the rule.....video or it didn't happen.......:lol:

jeeper1

You know the rule.....video or it didn't happen.......:lol:
I have always had a problem taking videos of myself. My video camera doesn't have a way of mounting it to a tripod.
:D So if you want a video of me creating empty cases and making a lot of noise show up at my place tomorrow morning with hearing protection, guns and ammo and we can take turns taking videos and creating noise and empty cases. :D I may even take one of my mortars along.
I'm serious about the invite.

tombrewster421

Yup, gotta protect those ears! I already got a muzzle brake for it though. I asked the guy at the booth which one would cut down the most on muzzle flash since he had tried all that he offered. I also manufactured my own sling plate for it last night. :)

sudden valley gunner

I have always had a problem taking videos of myself. My video camera doesn't have a way of mounting it to a tripod.
:D So if you want a video of me creating empty cases and making a lot of noise show up at my place tomorrow morning with hearing protection, guns and ammo and we can take turns taking videos and creating noise and empty cases. :D I may even take one of my mortars along.
I'm serious about the invite.

Thanks for the invite maybe another time, working and live so far.....from all the action...lol.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I am collecting parts to buld an AR pistol. What was the BATF ruling on the forestock? I want to use the same one you have, but I was l uncomfortable with the law. A "pistol grip" on the forestock makes it an "AOW" and a US$200 tax stamp. (not to mention the overzealous officer that prones you out.)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I am collecting parts to buld an AR pistol. What was the BATF ruling on the forestock? I want to use the same one you have, but I was l uncomfortable with the law. A "pistol grip" on the forestock makes it an "AOW" and a US$200 tax stamp. (not to mention the overzealous officer that prones you out.)

I am pretty sure AOW classified guns are subject to a $5 tax stamp. Unless you were referring to the making tax as opposed tothe transfer tax.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I predict a thread-lock in 5...4...3...

14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:

Ontop of being wrong about long guns;

Why do people feel the need to be hall monitors? No one is flaming or raging in the thread, just enjoying a members picture of a firearm that looks pretty darn cool. I doubt the OP was really considering OC, but even if he was, it is not a LONG GUN. No need to have a stick up your butt.

Perhaps if the OP showed a picture of him open carrying a M60 at city hall protesting for OC rights and asking for support we'd remind him of the rules. But this guy just posted a picture of a large PISTOL and mentioned OC in what seemed to be a joking manner.

Jayd1981

The ATF wrote a letter to an individual stating that the magpul AFG does not constitiute a pistol grip, so it is legal to put on a pistol. Here is a link to the letter (sorry you need a google account since its in google docs). https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...1MC00NzVhLWI3NmMtZDRiNTMzNzdhMzUx&hl=en&pli=1