• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 parts changing question *pics*

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I couldn't find a section dedicated to gun smithing like questions so here goes it in General Discussion since it is indeed firearms related.

I recently picked up another PT 1911. I noticed that the grip safety wasn't very smooth and felt really "gritty." I don't know too much about 1911s but I took it apart and found something that just didn't look right. The strut that hangs from the hammer is just real crappy looking as you can see in the pictures. Could that possibly be making the grip safety feel NOT smooth? Also, I found a decent size chipped off area on the right side of the frame.
DSCN0485.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0481.jpg

DSCN0480.jpg

now hear is my question. Could I easily just replace the hammer and strut? Or does that require gun smithing to ensure that the sear lines up perfectly with the hammer notches?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I know it's probably just a mental thing, but after taking down a 1911 it makes me a little uneasy about carrying one. There are so many little tiny features the gun relies on to work right. If one little thing goes out of alignment the hammer is $#**ed and the gun doesn't work any more. Someone, please talk me out of my silly way of thinking.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I wouldn't lose faith in 1911s. They're a hundred years old this year. They have a solid history behind them.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I wouldn't lose faith in 1911s. They're a hundred years old this year. They have a solid history behind them.

I second this idea. 1911s are my favorite handguns and I frequently carry one. Schlitz- I have done some work on my 1911s. They can be a little complex if you have never worked on them before. I do know that Taurus offers a lifetime warranty on their guns. If you contact them they will repair it or send you a new one.

jeeper1

The strut is ugly and if the burrs on it bothers you take a jewelers file and clean it up and refinish it.
The strut has nothing to do with the gritty feel of the grip safety as they don't touch each other. The gritty feel could be burrs or grit on the thumb safety where the grip safety pivots or burrs on the grip safety itself or the frame (receiver). Or a lack of lubrication.
I would suggest that you disassemble the firearm totally clean it and check it for burrs, wear marks, scratches from burrs and remove any burrs you find. Then lube it properly as you reassemble it.
If that doesn't fix it then send it in for warranty work.
By working on it yourself first you will better understand how it works and reassure yourself that it perfectly safe to carry cocked and locked in a proper holster.

Gunslinger

I second this idea. 1911s are my favorite handguns and I frequently carry one. Schlitz- I have done some work on my 1911s. They can be a little complex if you have never worked on them before. I do know that Taurus offers a lifetime warranty on their guns. If you contact them they will repair it or send you a new one.

Agree. Send it back to Taurus. They turned my 24/7OSS around in 3 weeks to the day. This is poor workmanship, even on a cheaper 1911. The workmanship on my 2 SIG 1911s is flawless, but they are $1000 guns. Even a $500 gun from a major manufacturer should have acceptable quality. Yours does not.